Caroline Flack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t believe how ridiculous this “Caroline’s Law” petition is. There are libel laws, tighten up in those if you must.

Nobody, especially those wielding influence and in the public eye, should be above scrutiny. It’s not all about the glory of celebrity, famous people can be crappy people too.
If Caroline was a man who'd been arrested and charged with domestic abuse, with an upcoming trial, would there would have been the same outpouring of grief? Would the CPS have been slammed for pursuing prosecution? Would there have been criticisms of alleged victim/perpetrator contact restrictions put in place? Would people other than relatives be mourning? Would people be demanding online forums be prevented from criticising the alleged perpetrator of violence? I suspect not. I’ve seen lots of comments that her partner didn’t support prosecution; sorry but him minimising the violence of the evening, and attempting to retract his statements etc etc are very usual behaviours for any victim of domestic abuse. There is police body cam footage of the scene the police arrived to and of comments made by both parties. As well as video evidence of her poor/aggressive conduct at the police station. Such a sorry situation all round, and genuinely sad that she was affected by serious mental health issues. I can’t help but wonder if she thought she’d be saved, given that she took her life when her friend ‘popped to the shops’. If reports are correct.
I can’t believe how ridiculous this “Caroline’s Law” petition is. There are libel laws, tighten up in those if you must.

Nobody, especially those wielding influence and in the public eye, should be above scrutiny. It’s not all about the glory of celebrity, famous people can be crappy people too.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
these people are really mercenary. They could choose not to post and instead reflect away from social media. Instead all I’m seeing is a circular patting on the back between all these celebs and influencers, saying platitudes on each other’s posts. All the clicks and likes it generates, honestly its a bit sickening. However, I can recognise the British public are part of the issue. Why does the public play into this insincerity from these people when it’s obvious that people are only posting for their own self serving interests?
This is 100% why yesterday evening I decided to have an instagram detox until the end of March at least, break the habit. I would like to never install the app again to be honest but it’s addictive. I won’t even read the instagrammer threads here anymore Because I have reialised I am enabling them.

Reactions: 5
Her ex did say she threatened to kill herself if he left her. She may very well of been self harming as lots of people have said the blood was her own. The crown prosecution service will have known all of this and done what they thought is best. She was a danger to herself and people around her, but not enough to get sectioned as that's a very high bar.
She used her boyfriends finger when he was asleep to unlock his phone and found messages from other girls that distressed her, allegedly, then hit him with a lamp and he called 999 saying he feared for his life. It's all so tragic, but mental health is a huge killer and non celebs really struggle with how underfunded the NHS is.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
She would not of been able to do love island anyway as she would of been on bail for the alleged assault so wouldn't of been able to leave the country?
It's such a sad situation that she felt the only way out was taking her own life.

Reactions: 6
I know so many of you have strong opinions and have disagreed with me but most people on here are staying respectful while sharing their thoughts at least. I'm just so tired of seeing all these jokes about her all over my Facebook seriously disgusting. So wrong don't know if people have seen similar things but I won't be mentioning them to give it attention. I know many of you don't care for her but I do feel sad that some of my so called "friends and family" can joke about someone killing themselves when they have only just passed and can't help but wonder how many other people will be feeling more alone. Thinking those they could open up too don't even take mental health seriously. I get people hate what she did but don't be the one to slam her for it. I think the forgiving should be the desicion of those wronged. He forgave her. Why should people continue to berate her, even now?

• Sick
Reactions: 11
She would not of been able to do love island anyway as she would of been on bail for the alleged assault so wouldn't of been able to leave the country?
It's such a sad situation that she felt the only way out was taking her own life.
You can most definitely leave the country whilst on bail. This isn’t America 🥴

Reactions: 8
My brother hanged himself but because there was no note the Coroner recorded his death as an open verdict
Sorry about your brother...that's why I'm saying she could have left a text/note etc for her family to confirm suicide...a friend I've known yrs hung himself before Xmas but he sent a text to his family beforehand ...but unfortunately before they located him it was too late ..but the coroner put a cause of death on his death certificate ...I'm sure the family will have more evidence than what the papers have released...

Reactions: 4
The whole thing is so tragic. It’s obvious form her past relationships that she suffered with severe mental health problems. The reports of bouts of violence, verbal arguments and the like show someone who was fragile and unstable. But when people have MH problems they aren’t to be scrutinised or judged- it’s an illness. Who are we to judge? Have we walked in their shoes? Been in their head? I’m lucky because iv never had MH problems but I can’t imagine how it must take over everything, it must cloud your whole thinking. I posted on here when the news of the ‘attack’ happened, that my friend (who I won’t give away how) but she was involved in that night the attack happened) and from what she told me it was because CF had self harmed and LB rang the police after seeing her do that and she went ‘mental’ and physically attacked him for ringing the police. I believe that what my friend told me is true. I don’t know why the cps acted the way they did, maybe there is more to it. But it seems to me that that night was a cry for help and in Caroline’s own words ‘when she reached out for help people thought she was draining’ MH is hard for everyone involved and I find the whole thing, so very sad and utterly tragic. I hope we all reach out if ever we need help

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
Legal perspective from the secret barrister on twitter:

A number of people have asked questions about the tragic case of Caroline Flack.

I have no particular insight into her case or her personal circumstances. But some general observations are set out below for assistance.

Firstly, the criticism of the Crown Prosecution Service.

Allegations of domestic violence raise a number of complexities. Often a complainant will withdraw support for a prosecution. But, for obvious reasons, that can’t always be determinative.

Cases cannot be dropped simply because a complainant doesn’t want their partner prosecuted. Such a system would reward those who successfully coerce victims to withdraw. Sometimes cases must be pursued without the consent of the alleged victim.
But not always.

Even if there is enough evidence to prosecute (and there are ways to prosecute without a willing witness of complaint), the public interest test must be applied.

The test is here. https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/code-crown-prosecutors

Nobody, except those involved in a criminal case, knows enough details to comment on whether the CPS was right or wrong to pursue a prosecution.

But certain difficult truths are worthy of reflection. Such as the lack of systemic oversight for the ongoing welfare of the accused.

As a prosecution and defence barrister, I see frequently how, save in cases where an accused has severe mental health problems that impact upon the legalities of the trial process, there is little consideration for the impact of proceedings upon a defendant’s welfare.

Rarely is it acknowledged how the strain of the criminal process - whether the allegation is true or not - can affect a person. Can break a person. And this lack of care pervades not only the system, but our society.

Which brings us to how, as a society, we treat those accused.

How we still, in the 21st century, put the accused in the media stocks, assume their guilt or moral fault, reduce and minimise human complexities, dehumanise and commodify the vulnerable, and consume their personal tragedies for our own transient edification.

As fingers are frantically pointed in every direction, and articles are deleted and history is hastily rewritten, maybe our priority should instead be to look at how we treat the people - the living, breathing, bleeding human beings - at the centre of our criminal justice system.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
This has been pissing me off since last night but whatever.
There have been a number of posts about how we don’t know what happened the night of, and for some reason we’ve got the crack team of CSI: Tattle on the case, talking about which blood evidence belongs to who and stating the obvious. Some of the more horrid ones are questioning the boyfriend’s input and responsibility of the alleged assault.The amount of minimising DV is astounding.
The only thing we know is that the police were called and the CPS have reason to bring to court. It was widely reported that the bf was fearing for his life.
We don’t know what happened and probably won’t know. Any and every narrative is speculation. And speculation from a high horse is still speculation.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I’m sick of the be kind bandwagon that erupts when stuff like this happens, Half the twits don’t even practice what they preach, nobody knows CP medical history or mental health status except those who was in close quarters with her, her death is tragic and the fuoroe and out pouring of R.I.P from some is fake af especially thoses who have to post pictures of themselves with her, when they probably only met her once, genuine and sincerity is in short supply.

• Heart
The whole thing is so tragic. It’s obvious form her past relationships that she suffered with severe mental health problems. The reports of bouts of violence, verbal arguments and the like show someone who was fragile and unstable. But when people have MH problems they aren’t to be scrutinised or judged- it’s an illness. Who are we to judge? Have we walked in their shoes? Been in their head? I’m lucky because iv never had MH problems but I can’t imagine how it must take over everything, it must cloud your whole thinking. I posted on here when the news of the ‘attack’ happened, that my friend (who I won’t give away how) but she was involved in that night the attack happened) and from what she told me it was because CF had self harmed and LB rang the police after seeing her do that and she went ‘mental’ and physically attacked him for ringing the police. I believe that what my friend told me is true. I don’t know why the cps acted the way they did, maybe there is more to it. But it seems to me that that night was a cry for help and in Caroline’s own words ‘when she reached out for help people thought she was draining’ MH is hard for everyone involved and I find the whole thing, so very sad and utterly tragic. I hope we all reach out if ever we need help
This 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 There’s a lot of people on here acting holier than thou. Whilst I would NEVER EVER condone domestic violence, you have to tread carefully because everyone has done something stupid at some point, some more serious than most and they’ve faced the consequences of their actions. I have a friend of a friend (not the best source I know) who, like your friend, was party to what went on that evening and from what they say, alcohol played a huge part in that evening. In my opinion, clearly their relationship wasn’t healthy, they both suffer/suffered with mental health issues and I’ve seen it first hand with a friend that when you add alcohol to the mix - especially when you’re also on medication, it will never end well.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Mental health issues and drug taking is too blame. How people can blame the CPS and media is beyond me. Fir all we know it could’ve even been an accidental overdose.
What I find worrying is that her family knew she was in a fragile state and didn’t do anything. I think this is the problem when people become your enablers instead of getting you help
How do you know her family didn’t do anything?

Reactions: 6
This 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 There’s a lot of people on here acting holier than thou. Whilst I would NEVER EVER condone domestic violence, you have to tread carefully because everyone has done something stupid at some point, some more serious than most and they’ve faced the consequences of their actions. I have a friend of a friend (not the best source I know) who, like your friend, was party to what went on that evening and from what they say, alcohol played a huge part in that evening. In my opinion, clearly their relationship wasn’t healthy, they both suffer/suffered with mental health issues and I’ve seen it first hand with a friend that when you add alcohol to the mix - especially when you’re also on medication, it will never end well.
Oh and just to substantiate my previous quote - yes I’m throwing the term “friend” around however, it’s not my place to name and shame so pipe down those of you who are on the attack

• Haha
Reactions: 3
It's very sad that from as far as I know Dawn O'Porter was the only one to publicly support her during her tough time. I've always liked Dawn and their friendship does appear so genuine.

Friends speaking out on social media to support her during those tough few months must have meant so much. Yet only one did. And now every celebrity and their sister are speaking out now that its too late.

Reactions: 14
What I want to ask is, are these people she’s been in relationships with been in abuse relationships before? Because i find it hard to believe that she’s just got into relationships with abusive men. Which makes me think she must have had a dark side to her. There must also be a reason her relationships never lasted. I think, again this is my opinion, she loved hard and fast and got swept up in the romance and then struggled with her emotions when she got angry or felt vulnerable. I think she was very insecure. Again just my opinion.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.