Carly Burd Salty Allotment #2 More red flags than Beijing on May Day.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lads I’m no expert in dodgy person/charity/facebook groups, but I think the answer lies in…here. We did this monitoring on Jack for years, finally it paid off. Unfortunately we have to let her run her own reputation into the ground.

What was she on about that time she asked for more money despite there being a quarter mil in the GFM?

Also, her crappy “competition” would be 50% less offensive by just saying “DM me”

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I'm a director of a cic and a charity trustee, I know that whilst they are not an enforcement agency there is a companies act in law. How it works im not sure as I've never been on the wrong side of it. But as said previously she's doing everything to appear legit at the moment. It won't be until 9 months after her end of year unless she files before hand that things become clear. She may have a very good accountant and if she's put it aside for work not completed yet or a contra account for the cic then she won't have to pay corporation tax. It depends on what the money was exactly donated for and the wording on the go fund me
That's a really good point! Here's what she said on the GFM:

1701524158196.png

She doesn't actually promise very much:

1. "What I raise goes straight back into 'a meal on me'."

2. "Equipment to make and tea and coffee area"

3. "Equipment to clear weeds like a petrol strimer"

4. "A cooking area using gas as we don’t have electric."

5. "And money to lay weed sheeting."

6. "The more I raise, the more things I’m able to get to make this work."

Has she done any of this? The money hasn't even reached a company bank account yet.

She'd need to have some expenditure in year 2 in order to carry her trading losses back into year 1 for corporation tax. If she doesn't get the allotments from the council it is hard to see where she is going to spend £250k.

Reactions: 9
Two complaints put in.

one about the treatment of vulnerable adults, one to the Charity commission over the way she's collected public funds while not being a charity.

I may not feel comfortable publishing the response from the first complaint but I reckon anything from the Charity Commission is fair game as it's a public body and my complaint isn't about the treatment of vulnerable adults.
🍕📐 the charity commission will look at this, but it will have to score highly enough to get any proper attention -i'd say the press interest she's had, and the amount of money received might (hopefully) be enough for them to do something. i'd be very surprised if it happened quickly, and i would advise not to hold your breath for a response.
what i now know about charity/charity commission means i don't and won't ever donate a penny.

Reactions: 12
it's amazing absolutely bleeping mental, how people get swept along in the momentum and freely give their money, yet never ask for an update. why hasn't gary lineker or any of her other high profile donors asked what happened?
Hoping the Captain Sir Tom debacle makes people think twice, and gets press sniffing about

Reactions: 14
If she doesn't get the allotments from the council it is hard to see where she is going to spend £250k.
Has she still not touched that 250k? That's just mental if so! She could have been providing so many more food parcels with that. She could be buying food that isn't almost past its date and paying people to deliver them, even. Is she holding onto it to spend on these allotments that it turns out she's never really had? If she doesn't get the allotments does she plan to refund everyone, or donate elsewhere, or has Wayne already explained that in that case the money is hers to spend on whatever he she wants?

Reactions: 11
Is this for her??? Or is she also going to try and cack-handedly supersede Gumtree and Freecycle now?

(ETA just to be clear, this was posted in the Meal on Me group not on her page. On her page she's been posting a vid about her and Mr W.)

IMG_20231202_153858.jpg

IMG_20231202_153935.jpg

IMG_20231202_154003.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Has she still not touched that 250k? That's just mental if so! She could have been providing so many more food parcels with that. She could be buying food that isn't almost past its date and paying people to deliver them, even. Is she holding onto it to spend on these allotments that it turns out she's never really had? If she doesn't get the allotments does she plan to refund everyone, or donate elsewhere, or has Wayne already explained that in that case the money is hers to spend on whatever he she wants?
You can calculate from the number of Tesco points she has that she's spent no more than £10k on food parcels. She has been fundraising separately via PayPal and collection tins for that.

Reactions: 5
I'm sure she said somewhere that she was withdrawing £200 a week for food purchases
a BBC article said that she says she takes X amount out of "the pot" for Tesco shops - we don't know which "pot" this is (GFM/PayPal/collection tins)

Reactions: 7
IMG_0653.jpeg

God sake, the brass neck on her that she thinks she’s competent enough to help other people set up whatever she thinks this is. (Someone was asking if she only delivers in Marlow)

Reactions: 12
I’ve been looking back through the gofundme. She actually started it in September 2022, not December so the cash has been trickling into her bank account for over a year. It was the Facebook group which didn’t start until December.

She ‘fed’ 699 people (still not sure what that actually means) by the end of December 2022, a further 1104 by 7 May, another 380 by end July and another 685 by end of November. So her average per month was 276 Jan- May, dropped down to 127 by end July and is now up slightly to 171. She’s still feeding 100 fewer people per month than she was before she got the cash which is just mind blowing.

Facebook. Assume this is from September? Not clear so I’ve not including this period in monthly breakdowns
347EBAAC-3641-4F08-BD3C-03B646888F39.jpeg

screenies from gofundme. I’ve also highlighted some vague begging sounding stuff In this one
1EBB65F3-69F4-4667-9E00-1F5C606E956D.jpeg

This is one of the last 3 posts on the gofundme, she posted twice on 28 and last one was on 29th July.
7D5656BB-F800-4977-918C-CAC41BF6C084.jpeg

Back to Facebook.
This was 30 November.
C4EA2107-E29E-4E83-960B-1C7C64B25732.jpeg

• Sad
I don't think there is going to be enough evidence of maladministration until she files her first accounts. And, based on what we've seen to date, I think the chances that she ever files accounts are slim. However as @TheDragonWithAFlagon notes, the complete absence of good governance has possibly already scared off Harlow Council. So it quite possibly has had an effect.

That leaves us with a woman, who is also a company, a Facebook group, £250k stashed somewhere and occasional shops in Tesco delivered to those who are able to get her attention.

ETA:

View attachment 2605508
Was just nosing and the "keep watching" comment snark was in response to all these questions

IMG_20231202_170052.jpg

IMG_20231202_170110.jpg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
It’s really bottom end stuff she’s giving away. On the 19th Nov she was giving away eggs that had to be used that day. If I had them at home I wouldn’t use them. She hasn’t even mentioned the date. What does she do with the food waste she creates if people don’t take the stuff that very day?
she’s had quarter of a million quid of other folks money resting in her account and the best she can do is give folk salmonella?
IMG_8429.png

• Wow
  • Sad
It’s really bottom end stuff she’s giving away. On the 19th Nov she was giving away eggs that had to be used that day. If I had them at home I wouldn’t use them. She hasn’t even mentioned the date. What does she do with the food waste she creates if people don’t take the stuff that very day?
she’s had quarter of a million quid of other folks money resting in her account and the best she can do is give folk salmonella?
View attachment 2605983
How does the food waste part work? Does Tesco just dump the stuff directly onto the driveway?

Reactions: 3
Today (Saturday 2nd December) she’s giving away salad leaves with a use by date of Wednesday. It’s going to be slime. And left outside in zero degrees it’s going to be slimier faster.

• Sick
  • Angry
How is she getting away with this? 😡 She'll be single handedly solving loneliness of the elderly by killing them off

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.