Carly Burd Salty Allotment #2 More red flags than Beijing on May Day.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The allotments in Harlow had fallen into disuse. The allotment part of her project is basically a copy of this more successful one: https://www.harlow.gov.uk/news/potter-street-allotment-handed-over-local-community One of trustees from this group tried to help her on the Facebook page but was insulted off. The council gave that group a lease.

I think the council allowed both groups to use the allotments temporarily for FREE, perhaps in exchange for having to deal with all the overgrowth.

Note that the other group set up as a charity. https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1194187&subid=0 Note how meagre their income and expenditure are in comparison, but all is there for the world to see. Proper accountability. Unlike the mystery of what she has done with £250k.
Interesting results if you put her name into the search function on the council's website.

13th April

26th May

and then nothing.

Reactions: 5
I just find it crazy how much money was raised in the first place. I think anyone with good intentions wouldn't have allowed it to build up to the amount it has. She never needed that much money and it could have been put to a lot better use

Reactions: 12
Here’s a timeline. Bear in mind she set up A Meal on Me with Love last September and had a GoFundMe from the start.
12 April - salting allotment story broke. Money starts flooding in
22 April - registers PLC with herself as sole director.
9FE3C6DF-24F0-4B50-9156-CC2376306A4D.jpeg

26 April - gofundme hits £250,000. She keeps it open

30 April - announces she’s had meeting with the council and that its fine to do what she’s done.
0E24A005-2CA3-415A-ADEF-BFD6C69D7894.jpeg

24 May - she withdraws some of the cash from gofundme and complains about their cut. The gofundme remains open
8AA9C782-DAED-49DD-B881-925A717200E7.jpeg

In the comments below someone points out that she should have registered as a charity. She snaps back and this is the first we hear about her waiting for her ID to come back
A3AF8CC5-131F-4AA3-8DAF-A47455E1A29B.jpeg

4 August - still waiting for her ID
6C3B5629-538B-4195-B992-57D5FDE4A451.jpeg

Sometime in September, closes the gofundme. Last donation is 4 months ago.
30 September - CIC is now with accountant and solicitor
9BCB67E7-7BA8-4736-8DBB-54A62ABA21D8.jpeg

3 October - CIC paperwork signed and ready to go
E6E7B228-CC49-4B24-B24F-5CEEE3EDD820.jpeg

28 November - CIC paperwork is with Companies House. Harlow appears to have backtracked on their promise to give her the allotments.
5552E83B-9598-45AF-BF71-647366755BA0.jpeg

1 December - still no CIC and now no allotments.

Where’s the money, Carly?

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Here’s a timeline. Bear in mind she set up A Meal on Me with Love last September and had a GoFundMe from the start.
12 April - salting allotment story broke. Money starts flooding in
22 April - registers PLC with herself as sole director.
View attachment 2604074
26 April - gofundme hits £250,000. She keeps it open

30 April - announces she’s had meeting with the council and that its fine to do what she’s done.
View attachment 2604077
24 May - she withdraws some of the cash from gofundme and complains about their cut. The gofundme remains open
View attachment 2604086
In the comments below someone points out that she should have registered as a charity. She snaps back and this is the first we hear about her waiting for her ID to come back
View attachment 2604088

4 August - still waiting for her ID
View attachment 2604080
Sometime in September, closes the gofundme. Last donation is 4 months ago.
30 September - CIC is now with accountant and solicitor
View attachment 2604093
3 October - CIC paperwork signed and ready to go
View attachment 2604095
28 November - CIC paperwork is with Companies House. Harlow appears to have backtracked on their promise to give her the allotments.
View attachment 2604101
1 December - still no CIC and now no allotments.

Where’s the money, Carly?
When you see it like this you realise how incompetent and not transparent she is. The worst kind of person to be in charge of anything.

The council have clearly took a look at her mess and backed away. By comparison the properly set up charity was given a lease in October.

What of the £250k in donations? Where is it?

• Sad
Reactions: 14
When you see it like this you realise how incompetent and not transparent she is. The worst kind of person to be in charge of anything.

The council have clearly took a look at her mess and backed away. By comparison the properly set up charity was given a lease in October.

What of the £250k in donations? Where is it?
I hope Carlz and Wayne aren't going to have a joint bank account 😱

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I hope Carlz and Wayne aren't going to have a joint bank account 😱
For all we know it is in his account. She has never said where the money has gone. Company was set up in April. We're in December now. Apparently no business bank account. Some bollocks endless story about her driving license.

Reactions: 9
Just to correct one thing - I thought her ref to GoFundMe taking £13k meant she had withdrawn funds but they deduct their cut from the donation (2.9% plus 25p per transaction) at source so it may just be sitting there.

Incidentally, if she’d set up a charity, GoFundMe add GiftAid automatically plus only take 1.9% and 20p. HMRC have made an absolute bomb from her incompetence, arrogance and massive ego.

I also hate the fact that this has made me so suspicious of everyone. There’s a woman near me who’s set up a community thing asking for donations. She’s been doing it for several years and she only asks for stuff, not cash, but this year I’m not giving her anything. I just don‘t trust people any more.

Reactions: 13
I think we discovered last thread that GFM don't allow funds to sit in there. They ask for bank details up front and pay out as soon as the thing is closed. Where is the money Salt Woman?

Is there any photos of Wayne on FB? I'd love to know what he looks like, just not enough to get an account 😂

Reactions: 5
I think we discovered last thread that GFM don't allow funds to sit in there. They ask for bank details up front and pay out as soon as the thing is closed. Where is the money Salt Woman?
I found this:

Once bank transfers have been fully verified, they’ll start being sent automatically on a daily basis and cannot be paused. This is due to laws and regulations that limit the amount of time our payment processor can hold your funds.
So the moment she verified her bank account (which I’m sure she did - she must have paid some of the people who did work on the allotment), the money was hitting her account on a daily basis.

If she’d set up the CIC in spring, she’d have an allotment. And now she has nothing, just quarter of a million quid and a fat tax liability

• Wow
I’ve grown so disgusted by this woman and her mismanagement of both the money, and basic GDPR that I’ve just contacted Harlow council to ask where I can submit an official complaint. Running a service like this via a public Facebook page is degrading and just so wrong. People are tripping over themselves to volunteer and saint thicko blocks this at every turn. Making those in need beg for scraps like some Victorian workhouse boss boils my piss. I’m done with watching this vile tit show play out. Having our Wayne and the kids judge how deserving of a handout some poor sod is when she has £250,000 in her bank was the last straw.
I’m sure there must be official guidelines for how a charity or even a business should be conducted, and surely this must break a fair few of them! It’s like something out of a Roman amphitheatre 😬
---
Very telling.
She is that dangerous combination of a know all who actually knows nothing and won't listen to anyone.

Apart from men who turn up after many years, and are madly in love with the money she has raised her.
Yes! Plus if it’s a company for profit and she is sole director then this will be taxable income/exempt her from benefits won’t it? I’m so confused lol.

Last edited:
I found this:

So the moment she verified her bank account (which I’m sure she did - she must have paid some of the people who did work on the allotment), the money was hitting her account on a daily basis.

If she’d set up the CIC in spring, she’d have an allotment. And now she has nothing, just quarter of a million quid and a fat tax liability
And £92 worth of club card vouchers
---
Anyway, that salty allotment was due to supply a bountiful harvest before The Salt, where’s that then?

• Haha
When I did olio there was rules about how you store the donated food, how quick to give it out, etc. I guess Tesco zero waste don’t give a f**k.
reminder of the voucher “giveaway”
View attachment 2603647
---
I guess all the people who don’t win can just carry on feeling alone.
---
Can’t find the £92 voucher post on her page.
she’s not long posted this
View attachment 2603658
Hope that hasn’t been purchased from the 250k.

Reactions: 7
And £92 worth of club card vouchers
---
Anyway, that salty allotment was due to supply a bountiful harvest before The Salt, where’s that then?
What ever happened to the 300 onions planted by schoolkids? Did they ever grow or were they victims of salt-pocalypse

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I’m sure there must be official guidelines for how a charity or even a business should be conducted, and surely this must break a fair few of them! It’s like something out of a Roman amphitheatre 😬
---

Yes! Plus if it’s a company for profit and she is sole director then this will be taxable income/exempt her from benefits won’t it? I’m so confused lol.
She's made a right mess for herself. Potentially getting worse the longer this drags on. As @VeniVidiVicki notes, this enterprise has been going for over a year now (started September 2022) and still doesn't have its governance set up or a bank account.

There is no excuse for this public humiliation of stakeholders.

1701506251161.png

I suspect we won't find out the full story until she has to file company accounts.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Honestly I'm so close to making a complaint but I don't even know where to start.

Companies House won't go anywhere as the current company record is accurate and up to date. "She said she was turning it into a CIC but she hasn't" will get a "until she files the paperwork we can't do anything" response.

Adult social services at Harlow Council? Is this public humiliation of stakeholders (thank you, @Seaford Haggington) a good enough hook to hang a complaint on?

The Information Commissioner? I'm sure she's not careful enough with the data she holds.

The police? I've got no evidence that funds donated have been misused, I just think they probably have.

Just Giving will say they're just the platform and the fundraiser was set up in accordance with their rules.

Edit: what about safeguarding? Would this be enough of an issue for them to get involved?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.