Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
The allotments in Harlow had fallen into disuse. The allotment part of her project is basically a copy of this more successful one: https://www.harlow.gov.uk/news/potter-street-allotment-handed-over-local-community One of trustees from this group tried to help her on the Facebook page but was insulted off. The council gave that group a lease.

I think the council allowed both groups to use the allotments temporarily for FREE, perhaps in exchange for having to deal with all the overgrowth.

Note that the other group set up as a charity. https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1194187&subid=0 Note how meagre their income and expenditure are in comparison, but all is there for the world to see. Proper accountability. Unlike the mystery of what she has done with £250k.
Interesting results if you put her name into the search function on the council's website.

13th April

26th May

and then nothing.

Reactions: 5

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
She claims she did it for quickness. She talked a lot about getting her "companies house number" as if that was an end to itself. I think she naively assumed as long as the council got that number they would work with her or she could open a bank account. But the type of company was important to the council, and they would only work with a CIC or charity. Banks want to understand what your business does (so they know what typical transactions will look like) and structure will be important for that too. Some will not offer accounts to CICs for example.
But is it quicker?
Why did it need to be quick?
Im trying to see if there’s any reasonable explanation for deciding to set up a Ltd company?

Has she still not touched that 250k? That's just mental if so! She could have been providing so many more food parcels with that. She could be buying food that isn't almost past its date and paying people to deliver them, even. Is she holding onto it to spend on these allotments that it turns out she's never really had? If she doesn't get the allotments does she plan to refund everyone, or donate elsewhere, or has Wayne already explained that in that case the money is hers to spend on whatever he she wants?
You can calculate from the number of Tesco points she has that she's spent no more than £10k on food parcels. She has been fundraising separately via PayPal and collection tins for that.

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Olio isn’t always that active (depends on the volunteers in the area) but if you look at London listings, the Tesco stuff is sometimes ready meals, flowers, milk, as well as the huge baked goods and salad categories
---
Olio isn’t always that active (depends on the volunteers in the area) but if you look at London listings, the Tesco stuff is sometimes ready meals, flowers, milk, as well as the huge baked goods and salad categories
---
🥕🥕

View attachment 2606950
I'm going to infer that the search for the FREE two seater sofa was perhaps for her

There's nothing especially wrong with it, but I do find it a bit ... to use your 'charitable' group as a metaphorical puddle to pick out goods from? Am I being unreasonable? Get on Gumtree like the rest of us.

I hope she paid L the van man
Is everyone else allowed to do the same?
---
A well worded FOI request to the Council could probably uncover what is happening with the allotment plots. Carls is operating as a company not an individual in relation to the land so the Council might be able to tell a requester more info. Even if it's just like the Office of National Statistics response on Our Jackie which was marvellous in its simplicity
It looks like someone has submitted one (I don't think we are allowed to link directly to it should it appear on a popular FOI request website).

Reactions: 4

Marsygal

All it takes is one clinically vulnerable/elderly person chowing down on e-coli/botulism for FREE

I know red tape and ‘elf and safety are annoying, but they do, you know, prevent unnecessary death.
Yep I have to be really careful with what I eat because I've a severely repressed immune system, I wouldn't touch these things with one of yours!!

• Haha
I'm wondering what her CT bill will be like. CIC's have all the liabilities of a ltd company but are able to apply for funding.