Captain Sir Tom Moore and Hannah Ingram-Moore #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know the full backstory on their financial circumstances before the fundraising he did. Does anyone know how they were able to afford that big house of theirs?
She owns this company, no idea what they do because I can't make my way through the word salad

• Haha
Reactions: 10
What exactly did Captain Tom do in the war? Google isn't helpful in this regard as a load of guff comes up about him being a hero or whatever.

I've seen comments about him training soldiers in Burma to use motorbikes? Is that the extent of it? Did he have a desk job too? Did he ever participate in combat?

I just haven't found a good answer to this online and no way am I paying money for his book to find out
I wrote about this previously on a different thread but this is the gist of it: He fought in the Burma campaign and taught how to drive motorised armoured vehicles. He also took courses to learn how to control and fix a tank and taught this back in England after he had to leave because he caught dengue fever from a mosquito bite. He also fought in the Battle of Ramree Island and because of his skills with motorbikes he had to ride them to the front line when tanks couldn’t reach them.
If he did hardly anything he wouldn’t have been promoted above a Private. Whilst he didn’t do anything too much above and beyond he did do a bit and saw some horrific things in Burma. From my relatives who served during WW2 they all said they rather face a Nazi than a Japanese solider because even the foot soldiers were bloodthirsty and savage. The Burma campaign was one of the longest in the Second World War but sadly largely went uncelebrated in Britain due to the population not really grasping the situation in Asia.

• Sad
Reactions: 27
She owns this company, no idea what they do because I can't make my way through the word salad
Thats nothing but pure modern day office / business jargon that from experience is typically used by chancers and bluffers. Most companies and people who chat b•llshit like that are nothing but failures in reality.

To be fair people like that seem to get on well these days where it’s often more important to talk the talk than it is to walk the walk.

Reactions: 12
I wrote about this previously on a different thread but this is the gist of it: He fought in the Burma campaign and taught how to drive motorised armoured vehicles. He also took courses to learn how to control and fix a tank and taught this back in England after he had to leave because he caught dengue fever from a mosquito bite. He also fought in the Battle of Ramree Island and because of his skills with motorbikes he had to ride them to the front line when tanks couldn’t reach them.
If he did hardly anything he wouldn’t have been promoted above a Private. Whilst he didn’t do anything too much above and beyond he did do a bit and saw some horrific things in Burma. From my relatives who served during WW2 they all said they rather face a Nazi than a Japanese solider because even the foot soldiers were bloodthirsty and savage. The Burma campaign was one of the longest in the Second World War but sadly largely went uncelebrated in Britain due to the population not really grasping the situation in Asia.
Thanks. I agree he did make an important contribution after reading that.

Looks like copy and paste corporate training. They probably just regurgitate the theory and the idea is you then apply that theory to your business. Whether it has any success is another thing, as I doubt it's particularly bespoke advice.

Reactions: 5
Ian Fleming was in that area around the same time organising counter insurgencies with the CHINDITS.

After the war ended he took inspiration from the characters he'd fought alongside in Burma to create a kind of "superspy" character. The rest is history.

What isn't so well known is that he used to regularly liase and debrief operatives in a super secret hidden jungle lean-to.

One of these was a mysterious captain who was suicidally brave and full of derring do. His exploits with the local ladies were also legendary-akin to Casanova's. This mysterious captain "T" also had the humility of a latter day saint. To an uninformed observer he was just some Spiv chancer from the motor pool back behind the lines.He implored Fleming not to recount his exploits or to blow his deep cover.

After the war ended Fleming figured that the world needed to know about this mysterious and inspirational captain "T" and soon after that "James Bond" was born. Coincidence? I think not.

The family had finally unearthed the supporting documentation after a painstaking 70+ year search but then the dogs ate it sadly.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Just double checking the wikipedia Chindits entry. They were apparently experts in "Long range penetration".

The saucy devil.

• Haha
View from the neighbours, along with a birds eye view of the building:

Also, the more on this story blurb at the bottom of the page is somewhat amusing to me. A timeline of a slide out of public favour:

View attachment 2286909
Hardly an eyesore looking at the photos, more likely the neighbours just hate them 😂

• Haha
I read that the neighbours were complaining about the building being too big, an eyesore and not in keeping with the area. Which I agree with, but you don’t have a right to a view in this country so things like it being ugly will fall on deaf ears.

Reactions: 4
I read that the neighbours were complaining about the building being too big, an eyesore and not in keeping with the area. Which I agree with, but you don’t have a right to a view in this country so things like it being ugly will fall on deaf ears.
That is the best part, their complaints meant nothing but old Hannah still had to overegg the pudding as usual to incur the council's wrath.

Reactions: 11
Gb news said they've had lots of emails about this, so will be discussing it after the break

Reactions: 6
If all that money they raised went to the nhs and none was taken out it would go along way to reducing cancer waiting times OR maybe giving a large number of nurses the pay rise they deserve. Yet again the British publics kind heart or guilty conscience is exploited by “charity”.

Reactions: 6
Gb news joking and laughing at the tweets about this lol.

Say there's more to come with this

Reactions: 7
If all that money they raised went to the nhs and none was taken out it would go along way to reducing cancer waiting times OR maybe giving a large number of nurses the pay rise they deserve. Yet again the British publics kind heart or guilty conscience is exploited by “charity”.
it wouldn’t touch the sides.

Reactions: 5
The money he raised was for NHS charities not for the NHS. The charities provide extra support for NHS staff, patients and volunteers.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.