Cancer Influencers #9

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The knowing it’s coming must be horrible. It’s good that you can say your goodbyes and try to put things in place for after your death but the waiting for the inevitable must be torture 😩

• Sad
Reactions: 8
God it actually is torture. You’d just constantly be thinking is this the last time I’m going to do X or see Y.
it’s just mind blowing to me because NNL and BB (the only two cancer influencers I’ve followed to the end, so to speak) were so so ill when treatment was pulled, it totally made sense from a quality of life perspective as both were in and out of hospital with infections etc. Lizzie seems so different as she does still come across so well, though I understand hers is a case of running out of treatment. It’s so sad and unfair ☹

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I don’t agree with GFM’s really, I don’t but those little kiddies are going to lose their mummy and it hurts to think about. I hope they get whatever they need to keep some options open.

• Heart
So, realistically what options are there left with her hospital, seeing as they've cancelled the chemo? I saw IV radiation mentioned, but what will that do? And what treatment would she get through the Marsden or one the other private hospitals?

Reactions: 2
So, realistically what options are there left with her hospital, seeing as they've cancelled the chemo? I saw IV radiation mentioned, but what will that do? And what treatment would she get through the Marsden or one the other private hospitals?
Potentially nothing more. Once treatment stood and there is nothing more then that is the end. I think though it’s a case of having a second opinion for your own peace of mind. I can only begin to imagine thoughts going through her head. You know the reality of living with stage four but let’s face it, when that reality is knocking on your door you’d want to try anything.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I think one of the tough things to get your head round with Lizzie’s situation and cancer in general is the element of luck. Not just the treatment postcode lottery because really that shouldn’t be down to luck, but the luck in the type of cancer you have, the different mutations and variations, when it was caught, how your particular cancer responds to treatment.

Not sure any of us who’ve heard the words “you have cancer” can be described as lucky but I know I’m so grateful my gynae cancer was picked up incredibly early, treatable with surgery and I’m now 2 years NED. My work mate was arguably less lucky and needed radiotherapy and chemo for her breast cancer. Another friend was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer but is 2 years into treatment and doing well so far. And then there’s Lizzie who doesn’t seem to have had any luck or been given a break at all through any of this. It feels very unfair and that’s what’s so hard I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Christ, Lizzi’s stories over the last few days are heart wrenching. She’s so bloody brave to come on insta & tell everyone what’s going on without breaking down. She’s a hero really. I hope they can offer her something, she deserves it, she deserves time. It’s hard when a child loses a parent, my son lost his dad in his mid teens (it wasn’t cancer related) and I would honestly say it’s had a profound effect on him. But he cherishes every memory of the time spent with him & the holidays we went on so I hope LIzzi takes a small bit of comfort that her children will always cherish her.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I think it’s hard to accept that you're all out of treatment but I hope she finds some peace with it all. She’ll know she did everything she could.

• Heart
If they have told her there's nothing else for her to have they will refer her for palliative care at her local hospice! She can get a 2nd opinion probably privately but it will cost her and I know this sounds bad but is it worth it? She could spend weeks trying to raise the money for some different treatment and it not work..... which in that time she could have spent with family...... it's very very hard and it's not anything you want to think about but when your told it's incurable you have to get to reach an understanding early on in that diagnosis that it will happen in day!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
If they have told her there's nothing else for her to have they will refer her for palliative care at her local hospice! She can get a 2nd opinion probably privately but it will cost her and I know this sounds bad but is it worth it? She could spend weeks trying to raise the money for some different treatment and it not work..... which in that time she could have spent with family...... it's very very hard and it's not anything you want to think about but when your told it's incurable you have to get to reach an understanding early on in that diagnosis that it will happen in day!
I often think of Monique and how awful her ending was. Looking for answers tight up until the end and look, nobody can say what you would do in that situation u til you are in it, but it was heartbreaking. I can’t help but think being in a hospice with proper pain medication would have been preferable to being in that hospital. Her GFM was running right up to the end, looking for private ( often pointless treatments) I wonder what happens to that money? Was it donated on to someone else in need?

• Sad
I often think of Monique and how awful her ending was. Looking for answers tight up until the end and look, nobody can say what you would do in that situation u til you are in it, but it was heartbreaking. I can’t help but think being in a hospice with proper pain medication would have been preferable to being in that hospital. Her GFM was running right up to the end, looking for private ( often pointless treatments) I wonder what happens to that money? Was it donated on to someone else in need?
I was thinking of Monique just the other day too, I agree re the hospice. I think she and her family felt very let down by the hospital (I think at one point a family friend who was a Doctor looked at her notes or something, and the hospital had missed something?) I don’t remember seeing any updates on the money after she passed either.

I would want to say I’d tried everything but a part of me would be wary about false hope. I saw a clip shared on Instagram the other day and it was a video posted by a woman in America called Lorelai whose husband Patrick died of colon cancer. She had filmed them together (she said she had recorded it so she would know she’d said everything she could to him) and he died that day or the following day. I had a look at her Tik Tok and in particular a video about his experience - he had no symptoms until he suffered a GI bleed one night and they tried a lot of different things at different hospitals but sadly tumours kept growing in his liver and he died relatively quickly after diagnosis (their son was around 2 and they had not long found out she was pregnant when he was diagnosed). It’s just such a terrible, terrible disease and it blows my mind that in 2024 Cancer Research UK are saying 1 in 2 of us are going to get it

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Lizzi seems like quite a straight forward kind of woman, I think she would rather know the truth and what she’s up against (even though she probably won’t feel that now). It’s just so sad, she has such a young family. And she said she loved the Nurse who told her so it would have been good for her to be there when the Oncologist told her. It’s hard to get my head around them letting her go for chemo, sit down thinking she’s going to start treatment…and then the Oncologist phones for someone to tell her it’s not working! Is that where the NHS is, not even giving someone the dignity of heartbreaking news face to face?

If she wasn’t suitable for the Marsden then the Oncologist should have told her, not say they were going to do it and then not bother. And still waiting for the MRI results from 3 weeks ago, I would have been thinking ‘no news is good news’ but that’s unlikely to be true so they’re just taking that long even if it’s urgent. Awful
Before chemo starts bloods are taken for various reasons and chemo doesn't commence until results are back. It's likely they intended to give her chemo but the bloods showed something that warranted then stopping. Piss poor that the oncologist wasn't the one to deliver the news and an explanation though

Reactions: 4
Has there been any further updates from Lizzie? I hope she's managed to have a lovely weekend enjoying the sun with her family. 😊 ❤

Reactions: 1
Before chemo starts bloods are taken for various reasons and chemo doesn't commence until results are back. It's likely they intended to give her chemo but the bloods showed something that warranted then stopping. Piss poor that the oncologist wasn't the one to deliver the news and an explanation though
It was maybe possibly an acute oncology nurse, CNS or SACT nurse who delivered the news which is absolutely fine and normal. Oncologists have liv es too and aren’t always available.

Reactions: 5
It was maybe possibly an acute oncology nurse, CNS or SACT nurse who delivered the news which is absolutely fine and normal. Oncologists have liv es too and aren’t always available.
Yes I agree and actually, from working with drs I think sometimes a nurse is less clinical in delivering that kind of news. Awful as it sounds we only get one side of the story so we don't know who was where and what was said

Reactions: 2
Has there been any further updates from Lizzie? I hope she's managed to have a lovely weekend enjoying the sun with her family. 😊 ❤
She posted a couple of stories of the family out in the sun (that’s the ones I’ve seen, there may be others that I missed)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve shared on this thread before that my dad’s inability to face his terminal cancer meant his death was pretty awful. He refused to discuss it so what should have been a gentle slip away either at home or in a hospice, was on a full hospital ward with limited pain relief because hospices have better rules for it. I don’t judge him for that, as you say, who could know how they’d react in such circumstance? But at some points there just isn’t anything else and coming to a place of acceptance about it could mean plans being in place etc.

i do think it is a weird idea we have that people gradually get worse and worse over months and then die. That’s not really the reality. I remember when The Fault In Our Stars came out, John Green spoke about how he was inspired by a fan who passed away and he spoke a lot about how she had lived until she died including filming a YouTube video the day before.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I know this isn’t a rave thread (far from it!) but I think a lot of us really like Lizzie and really feel for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I've always liked Lizzie, she's someone I think I'd enjoy having as a friend. What she's going through is absolutely horrendous and I feel for her so badly. I and some of you who are blocked were, I think, only blocked because we commented on a particular Nikki post as we didn't like her as a person, her grifting was unbelievable given the state state she was in and her IDGAF attitude to everyone and everything around her was nasty, so I think Lizzie worried we'd start to think that of her, but I don't think we ever would as I believe she's a genuinely lovely person. ♥

• Heart
Lizzi got very upset and mouthed off about the fact we didn’t like NNL. Well we didn’t, not her selfish/ childish behaviour, however I think we all still felt upset a young woman lost her life to this vile disease. Lizzi, the majority like I feel, she’s very honest, very funny and just seems like a girl who would be a good mate. Whatever happens going forward I just hope she’s at peace with and pain free.

• Heart