Cancer Influencers #9

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oncologist will only stop treatment if the chemo isn't working. Maybe he's looked at her scan results and she's had progression. So no point in continuing on it. If she's having a meeting today then he may suggest another form of treatment if there is one. Has she had a 2nd opinion at all from another hospital? I've always thought her hospital didn't really care! I just hope this is a blip for her

Reactions: 6
Oncologist will only stop treatment if the chemo isn't working. Maybe he's looked at her scan results and she's had progression. So no point in continuing on it. If she's having a meeting today then he may suggest another form of treatment if there is one. Has she had a 2nd opinion at all from another hospital? I've always thought her hospital didn't really care! I just hope this is a blip for her
This is her second hospital I think.

Her oncologist sounds bleeping useless. Don't say you'll make a referral if you're not going to. Don't suggest IV radiation if you're not going to do it. Don't get nurses to deliver bad news on your behalf. Plus the fact shes still waiting dor MRI results from 3 weeks ago. It's not acceptable.

This is heartbreaking. Poor poor Lizzie. Imagine just being told that's it, say goodbye to your kids, you're going to die soon. I know it's not anyone's fault, it's just bleeping cruel. And happening way too often, to all ages.
Yep. Luck of the drawer as to what sort of treatment you get ( not just medical) and thatā€™s not fair. We all know itā€™s true and the health post code lottery, Lizzi has always felt like she just gets looked over. As said it may be options are out and would actually do more harm, but her bloody oncologist can book a meeting and tell her to her face. So cruel.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Absolutely disgusting that a nurse delivered that news to her and they waited for her to turn up expecting chemo to do it šŸ˜” I Absolutely realise this is probably the most realistic option for her, to stop treatment but at least from her side of the story, her team have failed her over and over

• Angry
Reactions: 9
Lizzi seems like quite a straight forward kind of woman, I think she would rather know the truth and what sheā€™s up against (even though she probably wonā€™t feel that now). Itā€™s just so sad, she has such a young family. And she said she loved the Nurse who told her so it would have been good for her to be there when the Oncologist told her. Itā€™s hard to get my head around them letting her go for chemo, sit down thinking sheā€™s going to start treatmentā€¦and then the Oncologist phones for someone to tell her itā€™s not working! Is that where the NHS is, not even giving someone the dignity of heartbreaking news face to face?

If she wasnā€™t suitable for the Marsden then the Oncologist should have told her, not say they were going to do it and then not bother. And still waiting for the MRI results from 3 weeks ago, I would have been thinking ā€˜no news is good newsā€™ but thatā€™s unlikely to be true so theyā€™re just taking that long even if itā€™s urgent. Awful

Reactions: 12
I haven t seen her stories because she's blocked me but I'd say the oncologist told the nurse to tell her because he probably wasn't in the hospital at the time! Not sticking up for him but news like that is probably better F2F and the nurse could tell her rather than the oncologist over the phone! He most likely didn't have answers from others to why it was cancelled if they are waiting on tests maybe!

Reactions: 3
Like with Nicknacklou it was 12 days for my friend in March šŸ˜¢ she was given the news that nothing more could be done and we lost her 12 days later. Iā€™m still in shock with how fast it all was.
The docs were very clinical with her and her husband and the hospice staff helped her plan her sonā€™s bday party within days (his bday was the following month) we knew then it must be close but then still felt so so fast. Sheā€™d been planning her husbands bday meal for June a couple of weeks earlier. šŸ˜¢

Cancer is bleeping brutal.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Absolutely gutted for Lizzi. Really feel she's been let down to the highest degree since her diagnosis.

As she has spread to bones and no soft tissue spread I hope it is a better scenario for her šŸ¤žšŸ™
---

• Heart
Reactions: 5
They should not have stopped her treatment without someone being available to discuss what was going to happen next. To leave someone hanging like that is just not OK. It's so striking to compare Lizzie's treatment with someone like BowelBabe, who had her Marsden oncologist on speed dial! That's not a criticism of BB, but it can't be right that the same healthcare system can treat two cancer patients so differently.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
They should not have stopped her treatment without someone being available to discuss what was going to happen next. To leave someone hanging like that is just not OK. It's so striking to compare Lizzie's treatment with someone like BowelBabe, who had her Marsden oncologist on speed dial! That's not a criticism of BB, but it can't be right that the same healthcare system can treat two cancer patients so differently.
I think a lot of BB had private healthcare.

Reactions: 7
Oh, she definitely did, but that's part of the problem too (and again, not a criticism ā€“ I have private healthcare through my work). The same consultants treating people like Lizzie are also very likely working in the private sector and making huge amounts of money. I bet their private patients are not waiting three weeks for referrals or MRI results.

She was sat in the treatment chair, ready for chemo and her oncologist phoned the nurse, who had to tell Lizzi that treatment was being stopped. I know the oncologist is busy but I feel for life changing news like that, surely they should do it face to face.
And definitely not wait until sheā€™s sat in the chair waiting for her treatment šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

• Sad
  • Angry
Lizzie seems lovely... nice person, caring mum, funny and kind. Ive followed her for about 3 years i think and her stories today are awful... shes so bloody brave but i cant imagine what shes feeling...3 children and such a young woman, its bleeping beyond cruel.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
That's not a criticism of BB, but it can't be right that the same healthcare system can treat two cancer patients so differently.
Itā€™s not the same healthcare system by a long shot. Of course doctors might work both the NHS and private sector, but the level of ā€œserviceā€ given, especially when it comes to the amount of contact a patient has with a consultantā€¦ well it must be like night and day.

Reactions: 8
BB was definitely private care. She was asked the question a lot and never seemed to answer. They would have had private insurance with her husbands job and his job/level/salary a very good private insurance package at that.
---
And definitely not wait until sheā€™s sat in the chair waiting for her treatment šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
Disgusting

Bb was private.
---
BB was definitely private care. She was asked the question a lot and never seemed to answer. They would have had private insurance with her husbands job and his job/level/salary a very good private insurance package at that.
---

Disgusting
She did admit in the early Big C podcast. She took it out as a student and also as you say her husbands job would have given cover. NNL however did not and she got way more than anyone I have ever followed. Aged in her middle thirties and still on the kids ward? She was 30 at diagnosis so should never have been on it, her scans etc were always quick. Iā€™m glad for her she had good treatment, but Lizzi does seem to have had a pretty crappy lot by comparison. I hope she has a good palliative care team around her as they are so important and helpful at times like this, I also hope there are more options. Would she be able to ask for a private appointment at the Marsden? To discuss any options that may be available. I mean just to get some more information rather than having to wait.

Last edited:
  • Sad
I got desperate and paid to see a private paediatrician for one of my children. It was eye opening how vastly different private healthcare is and how I've accepted shoddy care in the past because it's the NHS and "free".

Reactions: 7
BowelBabe explained in her podcast that she suffered from health anxiety and had always made sure she had health insurance, even when she younger.
And she only had her surgeon "on speed dial" because she had interviewed him for the podcast a few months earlier. This is why she had his mobile.

Reactions: 4
Bb was private.
---

She did admit in the early Big C podcast. She took it out as a student and also as you say her husbands job would have given cover. NNL however did not and she got way more than anyone I have ever followed. Aged in her middle thirties and still on the kids ward? She was 30 at diagnosis so should never have been on it, her scans etc were always quick. Iā€™m glad for her she had good treatment, but Lizzi does seem to have had a pretty crappy lot by comparison. I hope she has a good palliative care team around her as they are so important and helpful at times like this, I also hope there are more options. Would she be able to ask for a private appointment at the Marsden? To discuss any options that may be available. I mean just to get some more information rather than having to wait.

Could never understand why NNL was on the children's ward..so wrong! So they'd have been young children being treated in an area with an adult patient šŸ¤” for children's safeguarding, how on earth was that right.

She was at The Guildford Hospital I think. That's a pretty decent hospital..its a lottery on the NHS.
---
BowelBabe explained in her podcast that she suffered from health anxiety and had always made sure she had health insurance, even when she younger.
And she only had her surgeon "on speed dial" because she had interviewed him for the podcast a few months earlier. This is why she had his mobile.

I never heard her podcasts. I did hear her say on a TV interview she had issues, symptoms, blood in poo for a long time before doing anything about it. I'm sure she saw someone when the symptoms were quite severe and she was loosing weight..if you had health anxiety then surely you'd have got checked out much earlier.? Especially having private healthcare.

That statement on the podcast was no doubt a wishy washy statement to cover up her having fully private and top class care. I've had private care for several issues. The relationship between patient and Consultant in my situations has been far more personable and communicative than on the NHS.

I don't get why people like her say they didn't think it would be serious..non of us are invincible. Cancer and all sorts of nasty diseases happens to babies and children, why wouldn't young adults get it.

When I was 24 I had a breast lump. My gp said highly unlikely anything sinister, but, it can be in a small per centage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5