Caitlin Moran #2 She’s just insulting everyone’s intelligence now

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
India Knight is a nasty piece of work. Her disgusting other half, even worse.

Reactions: 16
It makes me think about just how bad the UK media is, in that the quality of investigative journalism is horribly poor and it’s mainly just nepotistic favoritism, corporate conglomerates and arse-licking. Whereas traditionally it was actually once a viable way for working-class people to get into writing. (And to create some sort of social change- the exact opposite of what Murdoch et al want )

Apparently according to MN Knight was actually given a new column earlier this year, so not only was she not punished, she was actually given MORE work!

Even at a relatively benign level you get morons like Adrian Chiles wedged in at the Guardian on account of him shagging that hopeless editor.
These aren’t investigative journalists though, they’re lifestyle/opinion which means there’s no fact-checking required, they’re simply stating opinions.

Reactions: 14
Moran is STILL friends with Joyce?!?!

Is she having a nervous breakdown or something? That "angry feminists" comment is sickening.

• Angry
Reactions: 12
The way I sum up her writing style is - dismissible curiosities spoken like revelatory gospel. She’s the Tracey Emin of the ‘journalistic’ world.

Does anyone else remember her in her teens on that C4 music show? There’s some clips on YouTube. Her interviews were full of that insincere mix of ‘trendy’ irony and arse-licking, which meant you could could never actually pin her down on anything she said. Much like how she is today.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I saw her interviewed on telly once (can’t remember who by) and the subject of her parents not working and having lots of children came up and she said as she and her siblings had all become successful adults and were paying into the system it made it ok. I think her parents sound awful, what if we all had 8 children, didn’t work and let our children bunk off school?
Iwould also love to hear an honest account of all of that, without the highlarious comedic takes. They do sound awful; feckless, lazy and neglectful, and I think Caitlin's success, wealth and connections helped the other kids overcome that. It would be hard though, they're living and you always have a bond with your parents no matter how flawed.

Reactions: 10
Iwould also love to hear an honest account of all of that, without the highlarious comedic takes. They do sound awful; feckless, lazy and neglectful, and I think Caitlin's success, wealth and connections helped the other kids overcome that. It would be hard though, they're living and you always have a bond with your parents no matter how flawed.
If a family of 8 on a council estate where the dad was on the sick but gigging most nights cash in hand, the mother didn’t really want to parent, and the two older girls were not attending school and looking after the other kids, and the Sun got hold of it…

Reactions: 16
If a family of 8 on a council estate where the dad was on the sick but gigging most nights cash in hand, the mother didn’t really want to parent, and the two older girls were not attending school and looking after the other kids, and the Sun got hold of it…
Exactly this. I would love it so much if she realised this and wrote about it.

Reactions: 11
Not All Men Are Predators - but the thing is, All Women Are Prey. It is pure dick-pandering to see this from the outraged falsely accused man's perspective, and not the woman hoping a man will take no for an answer.
Wha'?

She had a book out in the 90s when she was 16.

Absolute drivel. A well-known journalist at the time told me that they gave it to their 13 year old child as an inspiration. She told her, ‘If this dross can be published, anything can!’

• Haha
Reactions: 9
It makes me think about just how bad the UK media is, in that the quality of investigative journalism is horribly poor and it’s mainly just nepotistic favoritism, corporate conglomerates and arse-licking. Whereas traditionally it was actually once a viable way for working-class people to get into writing. (And to create some sort of social change- the exact opposite of what Murdoch et al want )

Apparently according to MN Knight was actually given a new column earlier this year, so not only was she not punished, she was actually given MORE work!

Even at a relatively benign level you get morons like Adrian Chiles wedged in at the Guardian on account of him shagging that hopeless editor.
It’s so weird, because presumably it’d be easy enough for her to find someone else, given her status- what’s so different about him?
Agreed about the UK media, but I'm guessing you've never seen a photo of India Knight.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Agreed about the UK media, but I'm guessing you've never seen a photo of India Knight.
She has a thread here

Reactions: 2
She had a book out in the 90s when she was 16.

Absolute drivel. A well-known journalist at the time told me that they gave it to their 13 year old child as an inspiration. She told her, ‘If this dross can be published, anything can!’
Funny enough, it’s based on her upbringing where she lived on a council estate and didn’t go to school. I don’t know if you’re read her other fiction book, about a girl who lives on a council estate and doesn’t go to school and becomes a music journalist!
She also wrote the sitcom Raised by Wolves, about a family on a council estate. The main character is a teenage girl who doesn’t go to school. Then there’s the film with Beany Felstead playing the lead, about a quirky teenage girl who doesn’t go to school, who lives on a council estate with her family…

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Moran is STILL friends with Joyce?!?!

Is she having a nervous breakdown or something? That "angry feminists" comment is sickening.
Honestly I’ve never “known“ a self described feminist to be SO male-focused, and somehow she’s gotten worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
Honestly I’ve never “known“ a self described feminist to be SO male-focused, and somehow she’s gotten worse.
I was watching that Beckham documentary, despite not really beng interested in either of them, and there was an interview with Victoria that pointed to the absolute shitshow of the clash of "Girl Power" - an attitude for girls who still played with dolls, and Laddism - a movement for men who were disgusting to women and found it was now popular and funny. Victoria spoke about being in a stadium and the crowd chanting that she "takes it up the arse". I am glad to see she is finally able to express her anger about this. The account of a mortified woman offering her a polo mint to try to somehow sympathise was perfectly, sublimely depressing.

I think Moran is too scared to revisit those days. Or she just can't see it. Marina Hyde wrote a brilliant piece apologising for her attitude to Andrew Sachs' granddaughter - she should have acknowledged the embarrassment and pain that Brand and Ross inflicted on Georgina Baillie, and at least she has the grace to do so now. I don't think Moran can hold anything but a flattering mirror up to her past.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I was watching that Beckham documentary, despite not really beng interested in either of them, and there was an interview with Victoria that pointed to the absolute shitshow of the clash of "Girl Power" - an attitude for girls who still played with dolls, and Laddism - a movement for men who were disgusting to women and found it was now popular and funny. Victoria spoke about being in a stadium and the crowd chanting that she "takes it up the arse". I am glad to see she is finally able to express her anger about this. The account of a mortified woman offering her a polo mint to try to somehow sympathise was perfectly, sublimely depressing.
What did she expect marrying a soccer player? Rugby supporters don't go on like that.

Reactions: 2
Well… watching the doc have to say I now admire Becks mainly for his lovely knitwear collection (v nice jumpers throughout), but the old footage when he first shaved his head… omfg I forgot how hot. Rugby players in the 90s didn’t look like that…

Reactions: 5
Funny enough, it’s based on her upbringing where she lived on a council estate and didn’t go to school. I don’t know if you’re read her other fiction book, about a girl who lives on a council estate and doesn’t go to school and becomes a music journalist!
She also wrote the sitcom Raised by Wolves, about a family on a council estate. The main character is a teenage girl who doesn’t go to school. Then there’s the film with Beany Felstead playing the lead, about a quirky teenage girl who doesn’t go to school, who lives on a council estate with her family…
Does anyone know what school Moran went to or what her socioeconomic background is? I'd love to know...

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Well… watching the doc have to say I now admire Becks mainly for his lovely knitwear collection (v nice jumpers throughout), but the old footage when he first shaved his head… omfg I forgot how hot. Rugby players in the 90s didn’t look like that…
God I love a man in a woolly jumper. It's a west of Ireland thing, but I bet Beckham wouldn't smell of rain anf turf smoke.

Reactions: 9
Does anyone know what school Moran went to or what her socioeconomic background is? I'd love to know...
Her wiki entry mentions the basics. Apparently she went to secondary school for three weeks then left.

Her upbringing sounds horrendous and I think her endless mining of it for books and scripts might be some attempt to brush off the trauma? Does she have a relationship with her parents? I find it interesting that when you Google them, you’ll find loads of interviews and quotes saying “my father this” and “my father that” but she doesn’t really mention her mother. Perhaps because she feels like her father’s story was more interesting, since he had ambitions to be a rock star before arthritis allegedly (cough) left him unable to work.

68C27FF7-29AE-41D1-B145-214C5462391D.jpeg

D4CC960A-06AF-4F07-95C9-6ADF567946D7.jpeg

I do find it bizarre that a family so poverty stricken they couldn’t eat some weeks still chose to keep their children feral at home (not even bothering to make an attempt at home ed, it seems). At least if they’d gone to school they would have got lunch.

Reminds me of all the modern day horror stories you read about quirky / hippy / mentally ill / abusive (delete as appropriate) parents who go “off grid” from the authorities because they’re so paranoid and more interested in keeping The Man out of their affairs than keeping their children fed and warm.

Living in poverty doesn’t make you working class though Caitlin, ‘k?

Reactions: 10