Caitlin Moran #2 She’s just insulting everyone’s intelligence now

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Somewhere in her background is actually a fascinating story.
But she has such a terrible way of writing, self angrandizment (sp???) smugness and exaggeration that it is difficult to really care or take anything at face value.
She suffers from main character syndrome always - 'I was wierdest kid on the estate' 'everybody was always looking at me' etc etc ad nauseum.

Reactions: 24
Her wiki entry mentions the basics. Apparently she went to secondary school for three weeks then left.

Her upbringing sounds horrendous and I think her endless mining of it for books and scripts might be some attempt to brush off the trauma? Does she have a relationship with her parents? I find it interesting that when you Google them, you’ll find loads of interviews and quotes saying “my father this” and “my father that” but she doesn’t really mention her mother. Perhaps because she feels like her father’s story was more interesting, since he had ambitions to be a rock star before arthritis allegedly (cough) left him unable to work.

I do find it bizarre that a family so poverty stricken they couldn’t eat some weeks still chose to keep their children feral at home (not even bothering to make an attempt at home ed, it seems). At least if they’d gone to school they would have got lunch.

Reminds me of all the modern day horror stories you read about quirky / hippy / mentally ill / abusive (delete as appropriate) parents who go “off grid” from the authorities because they’re so paranoid and more interested in keeping The Man out of their affairs than keeping their children fed and warm.

Living in poverty doesn’t make you working class though Caitlin, ‘k?
"Bohemians" get away with this neglect and abuse, while working class families would be shamed for it. It's nothing new. The Bloomsbury set made indiscipline a point of principle. The Beatniks and Hippies abandoned their children while in a stupor on Hydra or in Marrakesh. Drew Barrymore was a drug addict before she was even in her teens. Then there was that dreadful case with Constance Marten last Winter (I think all vulnerable mothers should be searched for with such vigorous concern).

You know what would be really interesting, Moran? A book or documentary about this phenomenon, looking at what the parents were thinking, what the children experienced, and the sort of adults and parents this made them become. There's damage here that has to be acknowledged before it can be laughed off or worn as a badge of pride. Esther Freud has written about this. A.S. Byatt;s novel "The Children's Book" is absolutely brilliant (I lent a copy to a friend who was dragged up by New Age hippies. It really hit a chord.) But I think Moran is frozen in adolescence as a writer; she lacks the perception and analytical skills that maturity usually brings. In acting terms, she'd be the Harry Potter kids - cute when they made the films, rubbish as adult actors.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Given her chaotic home life and lack of any education I wouldn’t have blamed her at all if she had said that it was important to her for her children to get the opportunities she didn’t and is she paid for private school. But she’s just not that honest.

Reactions: 14
So all the people in that black hole were forced to send their children to private school? Hmmmmm

Reactions: 12
The Crouch End black hole is the most hysterical, self serving, pauvre moi, Crouch End thing I’ve ever heard 😂 see also “it just made sense to get a Range, you know, with the kids, and sometimes we have to go to Winchmore Hill,” and “I’d do my shopping elsewhere but Waitrose is on the way to Alexis’ ballet”

• Haha
Reactions: 38
The Corens suffered with the same thing, poor loves (they just don’t want their kids going to the undesirable catchment school)
8A283810-8A1D-47C7-B301-08704F842375.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The Crouch End black hole is the most hysterical, self serving, pauvre moi, Crouch End thing I’ve ever heard 😂 see also “it just made sense to get a Range, you know, with the kids, and sometimes we have to go to Winchmore Hill,” and “I’d do my shopping elsewhere but Waitrose is on the way to Alexis’ ballet”
No kidding. Someone we knew got a Defender because they have a steep drive.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
It’s a nonsense. Your LA has a legal obligation to find you a school place. You might not like the school place, you might think it’s not right for your little Tarquinius or Araminta, but it’ll exist.

But “the school they were offered was full of chavs” isn’t the image these people want to give.

See also: “I have a cleaner because I’m giving a woman a job” not “I can afford it, now serve me serf. What do you mean you can’t come round cos of Covid? Well I won’t be paying you”

• Heart
Reactions: 17