Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to love her style. I like a utilitarian, comfy, slightly traditional, cozy, muted palate. Love navy. However the things I am not loving are chiefly the gratuitous consumption (e.g. having three colours of the same coat purchased within two years) and buying things just because they are on trend that week. To me the trends is contributing to fast fashion which is ethically wrong when it comes to the impact on the environment, how garment industry workers are treated and compensated and lastly, the influence on others to constantly shop and thereby exacerbate these issues. I don't care if it's Cos or some extravagant brand, it's all part of the same ecosystem.

About the constant consumption, I was raised to buy two of everything you really love, that way you can wear something through and have a back up. It's smart. However BB having three of the same trench in different colours, or her endless amount of high-waisted baggy trousers... it's not well beyond two of everything, it's getting into 3-5 of the same item, then very similar items... I mean, should we guess how many trenches she has, or how many trousers? Yes she sells them and used clothing is a great idea however, it's not wise to keep buying, buying, buying and then selling them off. What if she tried buying used more regularly? What if she... stopped shopping full stop? Also, my conspiracy theory is a lot of the items she sells were gifted which is... tacky.

So if you have good style, but are tacky, what's the point?

Reactions: 10
So if you have good style, but are tacky, what's the point?
you've hit the nail on the head as to why I find BB infuriating. She has an attitude of 'holier than thou'. she knows her style is ~different~ and thinks that puts her head and shoulders above her viewers and other influencers. she talks about 'buying better' and "tailoring". she wears quite a few small independent brands but mostly big name fast fashion brands (COS, for example). when you look closely at her content, it's easy to see through this pompous attitude.

you see she's ripped her style off of other people. she alludes to consumerism and buying better but cycles through clothing so fast. she has hundreds (thousnds?) of items of clothing that we never see after a couple of wears and she sells gifted items. that's tacky to me. doesn't matter how "stylish" you make yourself appear. BB's attitude STINKS.

However BB having three of the same trench in different colours, or her endless amount of high-waisted baggy trousers... it's not well beyond two of everything, it's getting into 3-5 of the same item, then very similar items... I mean, should we guess how many trenches she has, or how many trousers? Yes she sells them and used clothing is a great idea however, it's not wise to keep buying, buying, buying and then selling them off. What if she tried buying used more regularly? What if she... stopped shopping full stop? Also, my conspiracy theory is a lot of the items she sells were gifted which is... tacky.
Fully agree! Reduce is the part of the consumption equation that *might* save this planet from becoming a cesspit. And yet it's all about buying "more sustainably". We need to radically rethink at this stage. Not just go to companies using better detergent in their high voltage washers on the production line etc. Recycling plastic soda bottles to make an ugly jacket. How about NOT buying so much? How 'bout not using single use plastic in the first place? How about not producing things as a society that we already have in triplicate or more (cue 15 navy sweaters) ? Not flying things across the world? Oh right, that doesn't line the pockets...

It's a ruse, basically. Not for everyone, but for the vast majority of influencers it's just, as @snarkvark alludes; sanctimonious profiteering/ALL TALK. I'd prefer plain old regular profiteering. Ha!

She has the beige COS trench in at least 4 variations - one from a small brand in NYC, one from Studio Nicholson, one from Uniqlo in addition to COS. I'm sure there are probably more, I mean, I don't really pay that much attention and yet I remember those. LOL. Do we really believe they've been worn out? That they are no longer stylish? They are all very similar and not a one of them out of date - which is a concept she espouses not to buy into anyway - that her style is more permanent.

I do quite like her style, or at least initially, though recently becoming bored with it. I find I can find similar items at the thrift and online that are high quality (or even better) at far less cost. It gives me some inspiration to mix it up but I couldn't imagine myself copying her style. It's more of a, oh I like that color - or shape. I'm sure most of you do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I’m still wearing coats that I’ve had for over 4 years and I only have a couple. If like Brittany you look after your clothing, surely outerwear style doesn’t change that much, hence no need for over consumption.

it baffles me!

Reactions: 7

This podcast is great. Love Aja and the way she puts her point across. Wonder if Brittany has read her book yet??

Reactions: 2
No way is BB wearing those Hunter boots and coat again. They'll be on depop by Jan for sure.

Reactions: 8
Her stories about how to wear a baklava are so hilarious in their stupidity. Shows how she's constantly worried about her looks and whether she's wearing things "properly" (aka like other trendy people), this really puts her in the box of influencers, not creative people. (Bohoo, surprise!) If she was creative, she wouldn't give two fucks about rules in fashion and would make her own.
That's what makes her so boring and annoying as well. You want tips, inspiration, fun clothes, but you get a woman whining because a right amount of hair isn't sticking out of her baklava. (Which, by the way, is to make you warm, maybe she should be concerned about that first?)
View attachment 883269

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Her stories about how to wear a baklava are so hilarious in their stupidity. Shows how she's constantly worried about her looks and whether she's wearing things "properly" (aka like other trendy people), this really puts her in the box of influencers, not creative people. (Bohoo, surprise!) If she was creative, she wouldn't give two fucks about rules in fashion and would make her own.
That's what makes her so boring and annoying as well. You want tips, inspiration, fun clothes, but you get a woman whining because a right amount of hair isn't sticking out of her baklava. (Which, by the way, is to make you warm, maybe she should be concerned about that first?)
View attachment 883269
Gosh wish the only thing I had to worry about was how to style a balaclava.
They live on another planet.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
She looks like a tortoise in that balaclava. Or a teenage mutant ninja turtle.

Reactions: 5
View attachment 883269
I know you meant "balaclava" but now I can't stop imagining BB trying to convince us that wearing a sticky, flaky pastry dessert on one's head is the height of fashion.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I know you meant "balaclava" but now I can't stop imagining BB trying to convince us that wearing a sticky, flaky pastry dessert on one's head is the height of fashion.
🤡 It would certainly make interesting content for patreon! To be frank, I'd rather watch her sporting a water melon helmet than this.

• Haha
View attachment 883269
She is painfully self conscious and I feel for her in that respect, I really do. If it were me I’d just not wear the damn thing. Screw trying to be fashionable. We can’t all suit everything.

A balaclava? Really!! I think it has to be baggy, like in the first image or people will think you’re trying to rob someone.

Fairly certain she only posted these stories to make it seem like she “started” the balaclava trend. She seems to do this a lot—“I’ve had these shoes for ages”, “I’ve been eyeing [this item] for three seasons”, “I’ve been wearing this blue/these shoes/this style for years”, etc, etc..

Sorry to always bring up copying but it is honestly my biggest pet peeve. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I say it is the sincerest form of annoying. Anyways, I’ve noticed she has started to copy Neelam Ahooja without giving credit (as she does). In one of her latest videos she was talking about wearing a cardigan asymmetrical right after Neelam posted a photo wearing a cardigan this way. (Not to mention BB was wearing literally the exact same outfit in her vlog. If you keep watching the bottom half of her outfit is also identical.)

392A1E82-DC65-46E2-9B8D-415C90AAF8D1.jpeg
58F45CDF-5CCE-428F-99C3-8B6E32FB9586.jpeg

She also made sure to mention in her What I Would Wear vlog that she wants to style strappy sandals with socks right after Neelam posted a photo wearing strappy sandals with socks. I mean, its not as if Neelam is the first person to ever wear this but it’s just the fact that BB tries to take credit for other peoples ideas and often gets away with it because of her high follower count.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I wear a balaclava skiing, looks dumb no way about it.

Did anyone notice her name-checking @nisi???
What do you mean by name checking?

And it's actually disturbing how much she copies and the fact that she's copied from a good no. of people. It makes me wonder how much time she spends scouring IG for fashion people to stalk and emulate.

Fairly certain she only posted these stories to make it seem like she “started” the balaclava trend. She seems to do this a lot—“I’ve had these shoes for ages”, “I’ve been eyeing [this item] for three seasons”, “I’ve been wearing this blue/these shoes/this style for years”, etc, etc..

Sorry to always bring up copying but it is honestly my biggest pet peeve. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I say it is the sincerest form of annoying. Anyways, I’ve noticed she has started to copy Neelam Ahooja without giving credit (as she does). In one of her latest videos she was talking about wearing a cardigan asymmetrical right after Neelam posted a photo wearing a cardigan this way. (Not to mention BB was wearing literally the exact same outfit in her vlog. If you keep watching the bottom half of her outfit is also identical.)

.View attachment 889051View attachment 889061

She also made sure to mention in her What I Would Wear vlog that she wants to style strappy sandals with socks right after Neelam posted a photo wearing strappy sandals with socks. I mean, its not as if Neelam is the first person to ever wear this but it’s just the fact that BB tries to take credit for other peoples ideas and often gets away with it because of her high follower count.
Duhhhh. 🙄 Everyone has probably seen something they liked on someone else, but usually they try to "tailor" it to their lifestyle, budget... She sees an original way to wear a cardigan and copies the whole outfit -- colours, cuts, accessories. The lady's lucky she didn't write what knickers she sported underneath.

Plus, Brittany if you read here, stop stealing other people's ideas without tagging them, especially if they have significantly less followers. That's nasty.

What do you mean by name checking?

And it's actually disturbing how much she copies and the fact that she's copied from a good no. of people. It makes me wonder how much time she spends scouring IG for fashion people to stalk and emulate.
She had a story about the balaclava and namechecked @nisi for how she styled it.

Reactions: 1
"Let's go to the second hand book shop, spend money on art books we'll put on our shelves and never look at again (but that I hope makes me look arty and well read*). I'll wear my brand new gifted clothes, you can take photos of me, and I'll do a low key AD in my stories...."
Apparently the website the clothes are from are donating money for safe drinking water (which the fashion industry probably poisoned in the first place when making those garms.)

*Arty and well read people DON'T actually take pictures of themselves buying their books and upload them to social media.

Attachments

Reactions: 7