Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Reverend

VIP Member
Isn't the Agreement something like 1200 pages thick, and that the PM and his senior Ministers have only been given a "summary" of all the tasty click-bait bits without fully acknowledging the subtle minute in the wording!

It reminds me of when you install a bit of software or an app onto your computer/phone, and you're prompted with a pop-up that bangs on about "By installing this product you accept......" followed by pages and pages of legal faff that no one other than sad IT nerds (like me!) ever bother to read; but instead click "accept" and move on in order to get to the best bits and sod the consequences.
Yep. The document is over 1200 pages thick. For a comparison, Lord of the Rings is 1137 pages long. Most MP's will ok it just to be rid of the possibility of No-Deal.

Reactions: 5

Yel

Chatty Member
Well I've chopped down all my trees to prepare, I'm dismayed that the government hasn't started deforesting around here. So many trees that need to be removed in a month and a half!

• Haha

birdiefly246

VIP Member
They don’t understand, but then I don’t think they even care. Ignorance is bliss for some people.
The attitude to foreign languages in this country shows how ignorant people are. They cut funding every year for languages so much so that some schools can't even run courses and teachers have to train in other things to keep their jobs, and now they're going to think there's even less of a reason to learn

• Sad

monga

VIP Member
I know it's important and all that but I swear to god if I hear anymore news about fucking fishing I'm going to lose my sorry mind!!
It's more Boris backtracking ,same with the NI protocol no wonder they had to add a lot of complicated legalities into the agreement .

Reactions: 4

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
That's it. I've had enough. Out. All of you! And you can hang your heads in shame on the way out the door!

Nows not the time to tell you to clam down is it?

Fucking Rees Mogg. The fish may be rotting in containers but at least they are smiling about being British 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
I wonder how smooth a transition it would've been had the pandemic not occurred ? would the American election still have had as big an impact or would Boris have pushed for the "no deal" (he still could) the wait is killing 😂
Biden doesn't have much love for the UK. and just like with Obama before him, won't recognise any "special relationship" between the two countries, and any thoughts of trade agreements will be put on the back burner.

Now if that statement is true, it will certainly weaken BJ's negotiating position with the US should we actually severe ties with the EU. But given the current clear out of Brexiteers from No 10, it would seem Boris is looking at a more conciliatory stance both with the EU and the States. and thus watering down a hard Brexit.

That's my take anyway. But what do I know? lol

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Even British-based food manufacturers and farmers require various materials imported from the EU to run their businesses, their processes, feed their animals or package their food etc etc etc.

There are many products that the UK just doesn’t make; many foodstuffs that we require ingredients to be imported for, or elements of packaging etc.
We are also still a manufacturing country. I am sure we could manufacture the plastic in which the bacon needs to be wrapped. We have pig farms galore in Britain. Go to Norfolk or Dorset, you will see pigs aplenty. Why would we need to import bacon from Denmark?

We have always had a thriving agricultural industry.

JP Morgan is moving from the UK to Germany, because of Brexit, yup, one of the biggest bankers.
They are a merchant bank though. Not exactly going to affect the likes of you and I, unless of course you privately bank with them, in which case you would have to be pretty wealthy to do so.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
But Platy, they still can go to Europe for up to three months, otherwise they simply get a visa if they'd prefer to stay longer. It's not going to be any different than staying for long periods in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and many other parts of the world.

Likewise people living in Europe will need a visa to stay in the UK for long stretches too.
They don’t want to go there for three months. They want to be able to go there and study for a year, maybe longer. Experiencing new cultures and learning new languages, which wouldn’t happen in any of the places you mention because they all speak English and culturally aren’t all that much different to us in the UK. Also Irish people will continue to be able to live, work and settle in the UK, because of the right settlement act, so it’s certainly not true that all Europeans will have to Visa to come and live or work here, I think it’s might also be the same for Cypriots and Maltese. Not that they’d want to if they got any sense.

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
If anything David "essay crisis" Cameron must go down as one of the most naive prime ministers the UK has ever had when he announced the referendum in 2015/6.

The fact that he was "surprised" by the result probably didn't help. But I think his biggest mistake was the actual wording of the Referendum question

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?
A rather simplistic question that completely glosses over so many complicated issues and implications - not least the Customs Union, Single Market and Freedom of Movement of people.

In other words, the Question was poorly constructed as well as being ill-informed in the extreme.

Whatever Cameron is doing now, he will have that legacy tied round his neck like a millstone. By all means have a referendum, but at the very least make it far more involving so that the electorate can make an informed decision about their future.

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
I have rather mixed emotions about the future of the UK.

I don't think for one moment that people who voted Leave will get what they want - complete independence from the EU. That's never going to happen, and they're going to end up with a much watered-down version of Brexit. Moreover, if Labour or Labour/LibDems win the next general election it wouldn't surprise me if another referendum was called. And if the current Brexit is watered down, it will probably make it much easier to reconcile to as it was before should the referendum vote in favour of rejoining the EU.

But even with a watered down Brexit, I rather think its going to be a pretty horrendous 3 or 4 years until the next election. Brexit, Covid, the economy, the environment, trade deals, Biden, unemployment, rumours of a possible break-up of the Commonwealth to name but a few intransigent positions that will face the ailing Tory government and a downtrodden and totally pissed off general public!

But never fear: the Establishment will be well protected from any fall out from Brexit, so what do they care?

I'm just pleased/relieved I won't be living here when this clusterfuck of all clusterfucks hits the UK with force! :(:mad:

monga

VIP Member
Energy crisis is everywhere, isn't it? And it has already started before the Ukraine crises, prices rising and all. Some like Germany are more impacted because they are very dependant on Russia gaz. France is doing better because of the importance of (local) nuclear electricity.

I don't get the "look, it could be worse there" to reassure yourself. Like when the Brexiters used to say that other UE countries would follow Britain and leave soon. Just do your thing lol
I'm sure I read France is the only EU country that can sustain itself .Germany decided against nuclear energy and voted to shut down their power stations in 2019 the Russians have really thrown the EU a curve ball , they've bitten off their nose to spite their face when they have no plan B as far as energy is concerned .

I wonder how the US will react once the full Brexit is finally done
37818B0B-1D31-4EF8-90D0-16A994B20AAB.jpeg

EU prices on the forecourt atm 18% on sterling
2FAE731C-D381-4BEA-BED5-46F75FFFE018.jpeg

I’m so lucky to live 5 mins from the EU 😂

Last edited:

Yel

Chatty Member
Of course Keir starmer is berating the government for doing it at the last minute (when that's how the EU always does it's deals) and saying it's a bad deal without saying how he would do it better or any credible alternative🙄. Lib Dems still being pretty quiet until it's clear what to hitch their waggon to. Scheißes the lot of them!

birdiefly246

VIP Member
Well that was worth waiting all that time and spending all that money on. I'm most upset about the Erasmus scheme and hope that the government can come up with a decent alternative.
Not to be dramatic but as a language student currently on an Erasmus scheme I am fucking heartbroken about it. Erasmus is so valuable to everyone Europe not just the UK and to think the government can just throw it aside in replacement of Boris' "most amazing new scheme with the best unis" is just horrid. I hope universities have a back up plan with their partner unis in Europe. I'm lucky that I went when I did. It's devastating to all those who will come after my year.

• Heart

monga

VIP Member
I’m lost... Ireland is still in the EU therefore would have more rights than British people in EU held countries than British who as a country voted to leave? We haven’t lost the right to live in our own country? We as a nation chose to leave the EU.

That’s like saying, someone from USA is a second class citizen because there maybe British people with a green card/citizenship/dual nationality living there - therefore has more freedom than someone born in the US with a US only passport!
I think what they're trying to say is anyone with an EU passport has more rights than anyone with a British passport (in the EU )not that Brits have lost the right to live in their own country ie someone from NI can enjoy both options as they can hold both passports.