Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheDevil'Son

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I think Boris will see us right in the end, even if it does take a bit of time.

I've already noticed some items are no longer available on the shelves but just buy an alternative.
Boris is a clown, I don't even trust him running a bath.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I will never forgive people who voted for Brexit. They have totally shafted this country and the younger generations who will have to live with the consequences. Typical of that particular generation though. Selfish and no thought for others.

Thankfully my Tory voting boomer parents voted to remain and continue to be anti Brexit. But they are unique in their peer group.

Reactions: 36

TheDevil'Son

A recession from Covid19, and the cost of a No Deal Brexit, from 2016 to now, Brexit has already cost £200 billion, and we haven't even left yet. :ROFLMAO: I bet the Working Class are really going to shafted now, when the cuts are used, to recover the loss of money. Moral of the story, don't vote Tory, don't vote a party, that has been your problem, and not the EU.

Reactions: 27

hnoz

VIP Member
No deal doesn't bother me in the slightest. What's the worst that can happen, it might cost 10p extra for a pack of Danish bacon or 15p more for a bottle of Belgian beer? I think most of us can cope with that.
That is far from "the worst that can happen".

Reactions: 24

Meh

Chatty Member
I am just concerned what will happen next when we “get Brexit done” and folks realise that maybe the EU wasn’t the cause of all the ills in their life. What will be the next target?

Could be flippant about it but I genuinely am a bit worried as to where the next media led frenzied focus will go when folk realise the days of Rule Britannia and the great Empire ain’t coming back (why anyone would want them to, I’ll never understand)

Reactions: 24

TheDevil'Son

No deal doesn't bother me in the slightest. What's the worst that can happen, it might cost 10p extra for a pack of Danish bacon or 15p more for a bottle of Belgian beer? I think most of us can cope with that.
The fall of the automotive industry, the rise in the price of drugs, the banking sector moving to Europe. British farmers struggling.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I think we should give this a chance. Boris said it would create jobs so let's see what they are. We've also secured 76 deals already with other countries, which is great. Boris sounded very upbeat today, and before anyone poo poos what he's done we need to give him chance to prove himself.

As for Keir criticising. I agree with other posters who say he does this without giving any ideas as to what he would have done instead.

I'm happy today. I'm giving things a chance and I will not criticise until there are any slip ups.
Boris is a bare faced lying narcissistic psychopath. If he told me it was raining outside I’d go to the window and check. I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth. He’s full of shit.

The Tories are desperately trying to spin this as a great victory to try and divert us all from the mess they’ve made of handling Covid.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Dogtanian

VIP Member
Where are you buying the Danish bacon and Belgian beer from? With no deal, they ain't getting imported into the UK.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

LucilleBluth

It sounds minor but I think the fact that the public calls him “Boris” is actually a problem. He’s not our mate, and it lets people forget that he’s meant to be an elder statesman and behave like one and be effective as one.

He’s a good campaigner but a bad governor and he gets away with so much because the public feel this bizarre affection towards him when really he’s plainly doing a shocking job and letting us all down. It’s of course a stupidly difficult job, but he chose it and regardless of whether anyone else would do better, he is fucking it up.

Calling him Boris instead of PM Johnson, Mr Johnson or just Johnson always has the effect of diminishing the seriousness of what’s happening. He’s not some naughty schoolboy or that character from work. He’s the Prime Minister. I wish people (generally, not directing this to anyone specific here) would realise this instead of just watching him bumble his way around the most significant challenges of our lifetimes.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

IrishName

VIP Member
I feel sick at the thought of no-deal.
I work front line NHS and some of the prep we have done for it has made me feel ill. Lots of talk about working with the armed services.

I am Irish and have an Irish accent, my being here has nothing to do with the EU, we have had a right to live and work in the U.K. for decades but the day after the referendum result I had people saying “not a British accent! When will you be going home?”

My colleagues from mainland Europe have faced a barrage of abuse and we’ve lost a good 35% of our full time staff because they have moved away from the U.K.
We now rely on agency staff, who have great points but in a sector of health care that is so, so reliant on good team building and solid relationships, it is hard to swallow.

I’m from a border town in Ireland, the thought of GFA disruptions has me in tears regularly.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

mcfeez

VIP Member
Reigniting of violence in Northern Ireland if the new internal markets bill comes to fruition could theoretically happen. Bit worse than more expensive bacon.

Reactions: 11

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I’m disgusted at how they are spinning it as a victory. It’s taken over four years to resolve, will leave us worse off, will no doubt cause about the break up of the U.K and destabilise NI. Thats nothing to be proud of. But never mind, at least it takes the media spotlight off the Covid shitshow,

Reactions: 11

Wind Fish

As a foreigner I find this whole Brexit mess fascinating. So many people seem to want their country to burn to the ground to prove a point and. The EU hero worshiping and hating your own country is bizarre. The EU was a good idea for a few countries of similar state as a trading bloc. But it's expanded beyond all recognition now and I get why people are concerned. My cousins in Greece would love to leave it but similar age colleagues in England act is if it's this amazing thing you'd be an idiot to want to leave. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm from New Zealand and last decade I thought the UK was wise to distance from the euro with the mess in 2008.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

jazyblu

Chatty Member
As a foreigner I find this whole Brexit mess fascinating. So many people seem to want their country to burn to the ground to prove a point and. The EU hero worshiping and hating your own country is bizarre. The EU was a good idea for a few countries of similar state as a trading bloc. But it's expanded beyond all recognition now and I get why people are concerned. My cousins in Greece would love to leave it but similar age colleagues in England act is if it's this amazing thing you'd be an idiot to want to leave. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm from New Zealand and last decade I thought the UK was wise to distance from the euro with the mess in 2008.
How on earth does wanting to be in the EU equate to hero worshipping and “hating your own country”? 🙄
I am from the part of the uk most fucked over by brexit. If anything people who blindly supported leaving have at best utter contempt for Northern Ireland (edited because obviously this applies to Scotland too) and would sell us down the river at the first chance for the idea of political ideology. The majority of brexit rhetoric is a ‘little England’ ideology. Ironically the cost of brexit will be the break up of the union, this blame is on those who pushed leave with no regard for how it impacted the whole of the uk. And yet if you voted to remain you “hate” the uk?
This is an incredibly narrow view of the situation with brexit and once again conflates the UK with ENGLAND. Lovely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10

BasilRathbon

• Heart
Reactions: 9

jazyblu

Chatty Member
So Scotland want independence. but at the same time want to be told what to do by the EU Parliament :unsure:
It’s amazing anyone can say stuff likethis with a straight face these days! Utter horsehit.

Funny how so many EU countries could individually close their border to us over the new covid strain but we have been trying to claim the EU make that impossible.

• Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Well that was worth waiting all that time and spending all that money on. I'm most upset about the Erasmus scheme and hope that the government can come up with a decent alternative.
I wonder how many Tories were able to study abroad as part of Erasmus? A fair few I’d imagine. But they’re happy to rob todays young people of that opportunity, that’s why this whole thing stinks.

Erasmus actually predates the EU. It’s been around since the 1970’s.

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
But Platy, they still can go to Europe for up to three months, otherwise they simply get a visa if they'd prefer to stay longer. It's not going to be any different than staying for long periods in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and many other parts of the world.

Likewise people living in Europe will need a visa to stay in the UK for long stretches too.
It's not the same as the freedom of movement they had before, let's not pretend otherwise.

Reactions: 8