Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can't say I'm overly surprised.

Lots of grandstanding & obfuscation by both sides has turned the WA into a complete farce. They must be so proud!
From what the press reported a couple of nights ago the Tories have told Boris to stand firm or lose all backing ,so he must be doing what he's told .It's a shame as so many businesses will be lost once the new tariffs come in to effect in the New Year .

From what the press reported a couple of nights ago the Tories have told Boris to stand firm or lose all backing ,so he must be doing what he's told .It's a shame as so many businesses will be lost once the new tariffs come in to effect in the New Year .
Boris kills businesses during lockdown
Boris <could> kill businesses post Brexit

is he going for a hat-trick of business failures before walking away!?

Reactions: 2
Bit of a bummer for the caring sector a lot of overseas workers there
66BD411C-4AF5-42A7-8514-2CBB428DDF41.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: 1

Yel

Lots of grandstanding & obfuscation by both sides has turned the WA into a complete farce
Yep!

I'm so bored of hearing one moment a deal is near, next it's about to collapse - repeat over and over again. All such theatre and neither side seems better the other, people berating either side I think are a tad delusional.

Does look like the pound to dollar rate a deal is priced in else it will very quickly fall near to 1:1

Reactions: 4
I do try to hang on in there with the latest agreements (or otherwise), but as you say, its just pure theatre, or children squabbling and screaming over who gets the best toys.

Haven't been paying much attention to the exchange rates, although they seem to be jumping up and down quicker and far more frequent (if that were possible) than Katie Price's underwear (sorry, couldn't resist a quick bit of bitching :LOL: )

• Haha
Reactions: 2

Yel

And yet another make or break deadline in a few hours 😆

Boris will hold make-or-break call with Ursula von der Leyen at 4pm TODAY: Tory MPs warn PM he must NOT back down as Ireland hits the panic button over 'stalled' Brexit talks and EU demands UK 'compromises' on fishing and level playing field rules

And yet another make or break deadline in a few hours 😆

Boris will hold make-or-break call with Ursula von der Leyen at 4pm TODAY: Tory MPs warn PM he must NOT back down as Ireland hits the panic button over 'stalled' Brexit talks and EU demands UK 'compromises' on fishing and level playing field rules
I do have a very small portion of sympathy for our Boris - stuck between a rock (Covid and vaccines) and a hard place (Brexit and EU). I know he is a buffoon most of the time, and is a bit wishy-washy when it comes to policy, but I really wouldn't fancy his job at all. And in truth he deserves (or rather the position of PM), a massive pay rise when you compare with the private sector and vacuous celebs and footballers.

but that's for another thread.

As for the current deadline and Tory MPs insisting he take a hardline: heard it all before. And I suspect if a general election was 4 months away rather than the requisite 4 years away, both he and his MPs would genuinely take a firmer line, if only to placate those who voted for the party in 2019.

Moreover, whatever agreements are finally promulgated, they will almost certainly be broken in the fullness of time:rolleyes:

I do have a very small portion of sympathy for our Boris - stuck between a rock (Covid and vaccines) and a hard place (Brexit and EU)
Likewise, even if there was someone far more competent it really isn't an easy job.

The UK was always going to suffer pretty badly with covid as it's one of the most unhealthy nations.

I really hope this Sunday deadline is the last, the EU are much more experienced at negotiations and it was always likely to go down to the wire. Although I think the labour MPs that were in brexit voting constituencies should have got Mrs May's deal passed for the first part of withdrawal and not kept up the uncertainty.

I don't understand why the UK gov isn't making a bigger deal of the 22+ trading agreements they've already got in place?

Although I think the labour MPs that were in brexit voting constituencies should have got Mrs May's deal passed for the first part of withdrawal and not kept up the uncertainty.

I don't understand why the UK gov isn't making a bigger deal of the 22+ trading agreements they've already got in place?
Why should the Conservative government failing to agree a deal that was palatable to their own party be put back onto Labour MPs? I don’t typically vote for either of their parties but I don’t think it’s fair to lump this on Labour.

May’s team should have negotiated a deal they could deliver and clearly they couldn’t, as their own party blocked it time and time again. Even Tory MPs in brexit constituencies. May’s secretive nature and freezing out her party was a major issue.

That’s a fair point, I would have thought they would be screaming about the trade deals they have agreed. Perhaps they think it would be roundly mocked/attacked as a distraction by the opposition and media? 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do hope a deal can still be reached but it is looking unlikely now.

I'm not lumping it all on Labour. But they certainly do share part of the blame and I think some of those could have better represented the views of their constituency's and ended the uncertainty years ago if they truly wanted the best for the country.

To be honest no one is coming out of this well.

Reactions: 3
I give up on Brexit, primarily because even when everything has been resolved, it really wont. Whatever rules and regulations are ultimately announced, they will be broken in the fullness of time.

I fear for the UK and the EU. The more I read from independent news media, the more I am beginning to realise what a complete mind-duck both parties are heading for, especially for the EU and how it is slowly beginning to unravel with countries like Poland, Italy and Spain wanting their own sovereignty and self-determination while also wanting to stay within the EU.

I'll be heading off to Johannesburg in a few days for a 3 month vacation with a view to moving their permanently. I realise South Africa has problems of its own, but I have to say the UK is facing a far more uncertain future which only the ordinary person should be concerned about.

Politicians come and go. But their policies will remain, and only the electorate will suffer the consequences.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

• Sad
Reactions: 5
It sounds minor but I think the fact that the public calls him “Boris” is actually a problem. He’s not our mate, and it lets people forget that he’s meant to be an elder statesman and behave like one and be effective as one.

He’s a good campaigner but a bad governor and he gets away with so much because the public feel this bizarre affection towards him when really he’s plainly doing a shocking job and letting us all down. It’s of course a stupidly difficult job, but he chose it and regardless of whether anyone else would do better, he is bleeping it up.

Calling him Boris instead of PM Johnson, Mr Johnson or just Johnson always has the effect of diminishing the seriousness of what’s happening. He’s not some naughty schoolboy or that character from work. He’s the Prime Minister. I wish people (generally, not directing this to anyone specific here) would realise this instead of just watching him bumble his way around the most significant challenges of our lifetimes.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It sounds minor but I think the fact that the public calls him “Boris” is actually a problem. He’s not our mate, and it lets people forget that he’s meant to be an elder statesman and behave like one and be effective as one.

He’s a good campaigner but a bad governor and he gets away with so much because the public feel this bizarre affection towards him when really he’s plainly doing a shocking job and letting us all down. It’s of course a stupidly difficult job, but he chose it and regardless of whether anyone else would do better, he is bleeping it up.

Calling him Boris instead of PM Johnson, Mr Johnson or just Johnson always has the effect of diminishing the seriousness of what’s happening. He’s not some naughty schoolboy or that character from work. He’s the Prime Minister. I wish people (generally, not directing this to anyone specific here) would realise this instead of just watching him bumble his way around the most significant challenges of our lifetimes.
It's shocking what this Gov have gotten away with ,this will be the final nail ,next year is going to be worse than this one ...without a doubt.

Reactions: 7
It's shocking what this Gov have gotten away with ,this will be the final nail ,next year is going to be worse than this one ...without a doubt.
..and to add to their troubles they still have Biden to deal with - which will probably be another shitshow in the making, especially when Northern Ireland is pushed back into the spotlight.

Reactions: 4
..and to add to their troubles they still have Biden to deal with - which will probably be another shitshow in the making, especially when Northern Ireland is pushed back into the spotlight.
I think they’ve agreed to honour the Anglo Irish agreement there will be no border, that was agreed yesterday but I don’t know how things will go with the’ no deal’ it’s still bound to impact things 🤷

I feel sick at the thought of no-deal.
I work front line NHS and some of the prep we have done for it has made me feel ill. Lots of talk about working with the armed services.

I am Irish and have an Irish accent, my being here has nothing to do with the EU, we have had a right to live and work in the U.K. for decades but the day after the referendum result I had people saying “not a British accent! When will you be going home?”

My colleagues from mainland Europe have faced a barrage of abuse and we’ve lost a good 35% of our full time staff because they have moved away from the U.K.
We now rely on agency staff, who have great points but in a sector of health care that is so, so reliant on good team building and solid relationships, it is hard to swallow.

I’m from a border town in Ireland, the thought of GFA disruptions has me in tears regularly.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12