Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think we should give this a chance. Boris said it would create jobs so let's see what they are. We've also secured 76 deals already with other countries, which is great. Boris sounded very upbeat today, and before anyone poo poos what he's done we need to give him chance to prove himself.

As for Keir criticising. I agree with other posters who say he does this without giving any ideas as to what he would have done instead.

I'm happy today. I'm giving things a chance and I will not criticise until there are any slip ups.
Boris is a bare faced lying narcissistic psychopath. If he told me it was raining outside I’d go to the window and check. I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth. He’s full of tit.

The Tories are desperately trying to spin this as a great victory to try and divert us all from the mess they’ve made of handling Covid.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Boris is a bare faced lying narcissistic psychopath. If he told me it was raining outside I’d go to the window and check. I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth. He’s full of tit.

The Tories are desperately trying to spin this as a great victory to try and divert us all from the mess they’ve made of handling Covid.
Boris is as shallow as a puddle ,he's no backbone ...It wouldn't surprise me if he backs out of the deal in a few months time .

Reactions: 6
As a foreigner I find this whole Brexit mess fascinating. So many people seem to want their country to burn to the ground to prove a point and. The EU hero worshiping and hating your own country is bizarre. The EU was a good idea for a few countries of similar state as a trading bloc. But it's expanded beyond all recognition now and I get why people are concerned. My cousins in Greece would love to leave it but similar age colleagues in England act is if it's this amazing thing you'd be an idiot to want to leave. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm from New Zealand and last decade I thought the UK was wise to distance from the euro with the mess in 2008.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
As a foreigner I find this whole Brexit mess fascinating. So many people seem to want their country to burn to the ground to prove a point and. The EU hero worshiping and hating your own country is bizarre. The EU was a good idea for a few countries of similar state as a trading bloc. But it's expanded beyond all recognition now and I get why people are concerned. My cousins in Greece would love to leave it but similar age colleagues in England act is if it's this amazing thing you'd be an idiot to want to leave. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm from New Zealand and last decade I thought the UK was wise to distance from the euro with the mess in 2008.
I do not hero worship the EU. It has many faults (lack of usual purpose for the european parliament, too much compromise, letting the greeks into the Euro, etc.), however, we cannot blind ourselves to the fact that in a global economy, we are too small to go it alone, and as most of our exports go to europe we will now have to follow their rules (safety, labour standards, environmental decisions, etc.) that we no longer have any input to, otherwise we cannot sell to.

Reactions: 7
I have two European nationalities (not British) and I love the UE and feel very European obviously 😂 It's a wonderful idea despite the flaws. And a lot of people like your Greek cousin don't realise how much progress has been achieved. Greece being a mess and not being ready to enter the Union about 30 years ago (literally lying) is not really the others' fault.
The deal seems to be quite good for the UK but time will tell.

Reactions: 2
Well that was worth waiting all that time and spending all that money on. I'm most upset about the Erasmus scheme and hope that the government can come up with a decent alternative.

Reactions: 4
We could have just had Theresa May’s deal a year and a half ago and saved the last 18month shitshow during a pandemic, never mind all the wasted resources brexit has taken up in that time. The last year and a half of negotiating were a complete waste of time.

Reactions: 6
Well that was worth waiting all that time and spending all that money on. I'm most upset about the Erasmus scheme and hope that the government can come up with a decent alternative.
I wonder how many Tories were able to study abroad as part of Erasmus? A fair few I’d imagine. But they’re happy to rob todays young people of that opportunity, that’s why this whole thing stinks.

Erasmus actually predates the EU. It’s been around since the 1970’s.

Reactions: 9
How on earth does wanting to be in the EU equate to hero worshipping and “hating your own country”? 🙄
I am from the part of the uk most fucked over by brexit. If anything people who blindly supported leaving have at best utter contempt for Northern Ireland (edited because obviously this applies to Scotland too) and would sell us down the river at the first chance for the idea of political ideology. The majority of brexit rhetoric is a ‘little England’ ideology. Ironically the cost of brexit will be the break up of the union, this blame is on those who pushed leave with no regard for how it impacted the whole of the uk. And yet if you voted to remain you “hate” the uk?
This is an incredibly narrow view of the situation with brexit and once again conflates the UK with ENGLAND. Lovely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
It's not over. There is a re-negotiation clause that can be activated in 2024. What's the betting it's triggered just before the next election as the tories are saying that the EU are not sticking to the agreement......

I wonder how many Tories were able to study abroad as part of Erasmus? A fair few I’d imagine. But they’re happy to rob todays young people of that opportunity, that’s why this whole thing stinks.

Erasmus actually predates the EU. It’s been around since the 1970’s.
Removing opportunities and funding for things that they had these days seem to be part of politicans MO.. See Blair with introducing uni fees, and Cameron/Clegg for whacking them up to £9,000 ayear.....

Reactions: 5
I really hope that we can access it again. I just feel so sad my children have lost the opportunity to access Europe.

Reactions: 3
I really hope that we can access it again. I just feel so sad my children have lost the opportunity to access Europe.
But Platy, they still can go to Europe for up to three months, otherwise they simply get a visa if they'd prefer to stay longer. It's not going to be any different than staying for long periods in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and many other parts of the world.

Likewise people living in Europe will need a visa to stay in the UK for long stretches too.

Reactions: 3
But Platy, they still can go to Europe for up to three months, otherwise they simply get a visa if they'd prefer to stay longer. It's not going to be any different than staying for long periods in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and many other parts of the world.

Likewise people living in Europe will need a visa to stay in the UK for long stretches too.
It's not the same as the freedom of movement they had before, let's not pretend otherwise.

Reactions: 8

They don’t want to go there for three months. They want to be able to go there and study for a year, maybe longer. Experiencing new cultures and learning new languages, which wouldn’t happen in any of the places you mention because they all speak English and culturally aren’t all that much different to us in the UK. Also Irish people will continue to be able to live, work and settle in the UK, because of the right settlement act, so it’s certainly not true that all Europeans will have to Visa to come and live or work here, I think it’s might also be the same for Cypriots and Maltese. Not that they’d want to if they got any sense.

Not to be dramatic but as a language student currently on an Erasmus scheme I am bleeping heartbroken about it. Erasmus is so valuable to everyone Europe not just the UK and to think the government can just throw it aside in replacement of Boris' "most amazing new scheme with the best unis" is just horrid. I hope universities have a back up plan with their partner unis in Europe. I'm lucky that I went when I did. It's devastating to all those who will come after my year.

• Heart
Not to be dramatic but as a language student currently on an Erasmus scheme I am bleeping heartbroken about it. Erasmus is so valuable to everyone Europe not just the UK and to think the government can just throw it aside in replacement of Boris' "most amazing new scheme with the best unis" is just horrid. I hope universities have a back up plan with their partner unis in Europe. I'm lucky that I went when I did. It's devastating to all those who will come after my year.
Its not dramatic at all, so many young people have been robbed of the opportunities that being a member of the EU brings. But never mind they’ve got their precious sovereignty back (which they’d never lost in the first place).

Not dramatic at all. I don't think people fully understand what we've lost. But hey I can get my passport renewed into a blue one made in Poland (kicking myself I didn't renew it sooner)

• Heart
Not dramatic at all. I don't think people fully understand what we've lost. But hey I can get my passport renewed into a blue one made in Poland (kicking myself I didn't renew it sooner)
They don’t understand, but then I don’t think they even care. Ignorance is bliss for some people.

• Sad
They don’t understand, but then I don’t think they even care. Ignorance is bliss for some people.
The attitude to foreign languages in this country shows how ignorant people are. They cut funding every year for languages so much so that some schools can't even run courses and teachers have to train in other things to keep their jobs, and now they're going to think there's even less of a reason to learn

• Sad