Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What is going on with the second independence referendum in Scotland?
In the short term, Martin Keatings has logged a 30 page document highlighting why Holyrood does not need Westminster assent to hold a referendum, to be ruled on in court this month.

In the long term, Holyrood elections in May likely to be fought on an indy majority triggering a referendum. Johnson likely to deny that. SNP have a trump card they are playing close to their chest if that happens. New domestic bill gives powers for Westminster to take back powers from Holyrood so could get messy.

Last 16 polls in a row have shown majority of Scots now want independence.

Reactions: 2
In the long term, Holyrood elections in May likely to be fought on an indy majority triggering a referendum. Johnson likely to deny that. SNP have a trump card they are playing close to their chest if that happens. New domestic bill gives powers for Westminster to take back powers from Holyrood so could get messy.
Johnson? I should imagine he'll be doing a Cameron within weeks and disappearing, now that he's "got Brexit done". New leader soon I should think.

Reactions: 1
Wee Nicola has been quoted as saying " leave the light on , EU " Scotland will be back soon.

• Sick
Reactions: 3
Wales did vote to leave, yes. But the more Nationalist, Plaid voting areas like Gwynedd and Anglesey voted to remain.

So Scotland want independence. but at the same time want to be told what to do by the EU Parliament :unsure:
It’s amazing anyone can say stuff likethis with a straight face these days! Utter horsehit.

Funny how so many EU countries could individually close their border to us over the new covid strain but we have been trying to claim the EU make that impossible.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So Scotland want independence. but at the same time want to be told what to do by the EU Parliament :unsure:
Technically, Scotland would secede from the Act of Union 1707.

She would then have the choice of how to engage with the EU such as full membership or a Norway or Swiss deal.

But the common consensus is the EU is a far more honourable, coherent and productive entity than Westminster.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Technically, Scotland would secede from the Act of Union 1707.

She would then have the choice of how to engage with the EU such as full membership or a Norway or Swiss deal.

But the common consensus is the EU is a far more honourable, coherent and productive entity than Westminster.
Thanks for explaining - makes sense.

[
Even if they got independent, they couldn't enter the EU so easily. There are conditions and it takes a lot of time.
Scotland would join the EEA almost immediately.

The Scottish Parliament passed a bill that all laws have to be in compliance with EU law for ease of transition. The main issue would be how Scotland sets up its currency in a logistical sense but all other factors are met immediately.

• Heart
The currency and the economy, just that lol
Isn't Scotland exporting mainly to the rest of the IK, like just 15% to the EU?
Not sure it would be that simple. Getting independent would already be a big challenge.

The currency and the economy, just that lol
Isn't Scotland exporting mainly to the rest of the IK, like just 15% to the EU?
Not sure it would be that simple. Getting independent would already be a big challenge.
Scotland would continue trading with the rUK as it would be purile not to. And once part of EU, Scotland trades with UK as per Brexit deal. There is likely to be a schengen deal in place as per Ireland.

In terms of the economy, Scotland regularly posts a higher GDP per capita than the UK. In fact, take London out the equation and the rest of England performs woefully in comparison. And this is before Holyrood has full financial autonomy. An indy Scotland would also have a higher credit rating than rUK.

Economic arguments are central to the Unionist defence but the majority of indy voters are younger in age and they are not focused on that rhetoric.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Actually looked at the fishery situation before whilst listening to the update that the vaccine 2nd doses were cancelled and it suddenly dawned on me that we have duck all going for us as a country right now 👍👍
I’ve followed Brexit intently and thought I’d be relieved when the deed was done, but I just felt still as though I’d been stripped of rights against my will

Reactions: 5
Everything is yet to be done though. In the UK, new rules, new programs (like the Turing one).
The deal doesn't mention "the city" which is a very important point for the UK and Europe, which will be discussed further.

I wonder how the southerners feel about it
352AF54D-287A-4493-8F48-4BA2D8B24B4B.jpeg

C04CC053-5774-4C04-8FE5-E5F6F2E4B9C6.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Give them Irish citizenship then.
They'll have duel citizenship anyway but some won't see themselves as Irish at any cost, plus I'm sure the south will have enough to cover without supporting British subjects.