Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m disgusted at how they are spinning it as a victory. It’s taken over four years to resolve, will leave us worse off, will no doubt cause about the break up of the U.K and destabilise NI. Thats nothing to be proud of. But never mind, at least it takes the media spotlight off the Covid shitshow,

Reactions: 11
Well that was worth waiting all that time and spending all that money on. I'm most upset about the Erasmus scheme and hope that the government can come up with a decent alternative.
NI will still avail of it but it's tit that so many students will miss out .

I haven't read the full details of the Brexit trade talks, but from the bits I have read it seems to leave the UK in limbo, with nothing tangible being achieved other than for an uncertain future.

Boris won't be a PM forever, but his legacy will last beyond his current tenure. I'm not sure of the mood of Brexiteers after this "deal" but I don't think ether side will be entirely happy with it.

Reactions: 3
I have nothing to say to this besides holy tit.
When you look at the nitty gritty of leaving the EU there's a lot more than fish to consider (all some are focusing on )it's shocking some of the implications for people ..finding Nemo being the least of them .

Reactions: 2
Isn't the Agreement something like 1200 pages thick, and that the PM and his senior Ministers have only been given a "summary" of all the tasty click-bait bits without fully acknowledging the subtle minute in the wording!

It reminds me of when you install a bit of software or an app onto your computer/phone, and you're prompted with a pop-up that bangs on about "By installing this product you accept......" followed by pages and pages of legal faff that no one other than sad IT nerds (like me!) ever bother to read; but instead click "accept" and move on in order to get to the best bits and sod the consequences.

Reactions: 3
Isn't the Agreement something like 1200 pages thick, and that the PM and his senior Ministers have only been given a "summary" of all the tasty click-bait bits without fully acknowledging the subtle minute in the wording!

It reminds me of when you install a bit of software or an app onto your computer/phone, and you're prompted with a pop-up that bangs on about "By installing this product you accept......" followed by pages and pages of legal faff that no one other than sad IT nerds (like me!) ever bother to read; but instead click "accept" and move on in order to get to the best bits and sod the consequences.
Yep. The document is over 1200 pages thick. For a comparison, Lord of the Rings is 1137 pages long. Most MP's will ok it just to be rid of the possibility of No-Deal.

Reactions: 5
When you look at the nitty gritty of leaving the EU there's a lot more than fish to consider (all some are focusing on )it's shocking some of the implications for people ..finding Nemo being the least of them .
The fishing is a part of the agreement that is eventually quite good for the UE. Less than 0,1% of the GDP and 120000 fishermen in the UK. Did people really think that BJ would care anyway?

Reactions: 5
I suppose both sides of the debate will claim some kind of Pyrrhic victory. And perhaps had it not been for the current Covid crisis, Brexit would have had far more clarity. But as it is, there are far more imponderables to be considered over the next 12-24 months, not helped with a $3.5Tn debt to cope with.

I think the deal is fair (from what I’ve read). It could have been worse as in no-deal or Mays deal. I’m willing to give it a chance.

Reactions: 1
I’m lost... Ireland is still in the EU therefore would have more rights than British people in EU held countries than British who as a country voted to leave? We haven’t lost the right to live in our own country? We as a nation chose to leave the EU.

That’s like saying, someone from USA is a second class citizen because there maybe British people with a green card/citizenship/dual nationality living there - therefore has more freedom than someone born in the US with a US only passport!

Of course the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, still has one final hurdle to face, and that's the Vote in Parliament on Wednesday by all 650 odd MPs.
Am not sure what will happen if there's a majority vote against it.

Neither did I realize that the UK will have the G7 Presidency in 2021, which will give Boris the global platform to declare the country's new found "independence" on the world stage.

It will be interesting how he walks that particular tightrope given that the EU and Biden won't be his biggest fans!

It sounds minor but I think the fact that the public calls him “Boris” is actually a problem. He’s not our mate, and it lets people forget that he’s meant to be an elder statesman and behave like one and be effective as one.

He’s a good campaigner but a bad governor and he gets away with so much because the public feel this bizarre affection towards him when really he’s plainly doing a shocking job and letting us all down. It’s of course a stupidly difficult job, but he chose it and regardless of whether anyone else would do better, he is bleeping it up.

Calling him Boris instead of PM Johnson, Mr Johnson or just Johnson always has the effect of diminishing the seriousness of what’s happening. He’s not some naughty schoolboy or that character from work. He’s the Prime Minister. I wish people (generally, not directing this to anyone specific here) would realise this instead of just watching him bumble his way around the most significant challenges of our lifetimes.
You make an excellent point, names do have power and he/the media aren't the first to use it to their own advantage.

Of course the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, still has one final hurdle to face, and that's the Vote in Parliament on Wednesday by all 650 odd MPs.
Am not sure what will happen if there's a majority vote against it.

Neither did I realize that the UK will have the G7 Presidency in 2021, which will give Boris the global platform to declare the country's new found "independence" on the world stage.

It will be interesting how he walks that particular tightrope given that the EU and Biden won't be his biggest fans!
There isn’t a cat in hells chance of the bill not passing. Even if 30 Tory MP’s and the rest of the commons vote against it, it will still sail through.

The fact that Starmer has told Labour to vote for it basically guarantees its passage.

Rayner fucked me off saying that the deal was the tories responsibility even if Labour vote for it. No, if you vote in favour of passing it, you are also responsible for it.

Reactions: 4
There isn’t a cat in hells chance of the bill not passing. Even if 30 Tory MP’s and the rest of the commons vote against it, it will still sail through.

The fact that Starmer has told Labour to vote for it basically guarantees its passage.
This is what irritates me with Starmer and his "sit on the fence" attitude, or calls for his party to abstain on certain votes; but now declares that this particular Vote should get the support of Labour.

I just don't know what he wants from Labour

Reactions: 1
This is what irritates me with Starmer and his "sit on the fence" attitude, or calls for his party to abstain on certain votes; but now declares that this particular Vote should get the support of Labour.

I just don't know what he wants from Labour
I’ve found him interesting to watch the past year.... he voices his opinion but never goes deeper than yes / no opinions. Like if he disagrees he never says what he thinks should happen etc. or what he’d do. He just doesn’t give me much confidence as a leader.

Although after finding out more about his past with CPS and a few famous cases my opinion on him changed anyways but I still respect him as a leader position just right now he’s not giving me anything!