Borderline Personality Disorder & Clinical Depression.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can you book an appointment with another GP? It is also possible to refer yourself too. You shouldn't be fobbed off.

Maytree are still open and still offering email and telephone support.

You will get through this moment. Do you have anyone that you can call right now?
Thank you, I don't want to bore or bother anyone. I feel like this so frequently, almost daily, I won't act on it but it's just exhausting having those thoughts there

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you, I don't want to bore or bother anyone. I feel like this so frequently, almost daily, I won't act on it but it's just exhausting having those thoughts there
I've honestly been there so many times before too. It's a painful place to be. I have my brother and two best friends as safety contacts. You really wouldn't be bothering anyone and I'm sure your friends/ family wouldn't mind. Same goes for the charity even if it's talking about nothing, sometimes it helps knowing someone else is there too.

Thank you so much! I bought the DBT handbook but got anxious and overwhelmed so I recycled it. I am hoping to find beginner-level books that won't spike up my anxiety but will still help me identify red flags. I did take things slow with my most recent relationship with a covert narcissist. But I think I was in part self-destructive, as in I am aware that I have BPD and my emotions are always heightened - so I decided to chalk most of my gut feelings being uneasy around him to BPD acting out. I regret that immensely. I wish there were a way to identify whether my feelings/reactions are BPD speaking or they are actually gut feelings that I should not ignore.
I bought my youngest sister a few books where the relationship was the main theme. Maybe something like that would help? Or maybe you could make a list for yourself- if you were in a relationship how would you want to be treated? I used to think that love alone was enough but it's not if there's not respect and trust there too.

What does acting out look like for you? Not everything is the BPD, but I feel like it takes time to get to that point where you can recognise it. Always trust your gut feeling though.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
Does anyone have experiences of DBT and did they find it helpful?

I’m due to start a 6 month course soon and I’m a little nervous about the group aspect and not really sure what each session is going to involve 😬

I didn't try DBT in person, but there's example sessions online:

Also some other explanations into what it actually is.

Does anyone have experiences of DBT and did they find it helpful?

I’m due to start a 6 month course soon and I’m a little nervous about the group aspect and not really sure what each session is going to involve 😬
I had DBT lite which was 12 weeks. I did find it helpful and I wish I had been able to do a full course but I moved areas and it wasn’t available for me in the new area. I imagine there will be differences between groups, my group was quite small to start, maybe 10 and there was only 3 of us left at the end, a lot of people did drop out as they felt it wasn’t for them I guess but I would encourage you to try and stick it out and talk to whoever is leading it if you have any problems.

Is there anything specifically you’re nervous about? Our sessions used to begin with a mindful/meditation session of 10 mins or so and I always enjoyed that. There were worksheets that we worked through and we were encouraged to share general ideas but not get too personal or trigger anyone else. The ladies who led the group were pretty good at pulling it back in if it got a bit much. It was incrediBly nerve wracking at the beginning, I don’t think anyone wanted to speak in front of the others but they understand that you will all be feeling that way, but remember you are all there for the same reason. I hope it goes well for you.

I've honestly been there so many times before too. It's a painful place to be. I have my brother and two best friends as safety contacts. You really wouldn't be bothering anyone and I'm sure your friends/ family wouldn't mind. Same goes for the charity even if it's talking about nothing, sometimes it helps knowing someone else is there too.

I bought my youngest sister a few books where the relationship was the main theme. Maybe something like that would help? Or maybe you could make a list for yourself- if you were in a relationship how would you want to be treated? I used to think that love alone was enough but it's not if there's not respect and trust there too.

What does acting out look like for you? Not everything is the BPD, but I feel like it takes time to get to that point where you can recognise it. Always trust your gut feeling though.
The books on relationships will be so great! Do you have any recommendations? I don’t know where to start.

My last relationship was the first one I’ve been treated with some respect and niceness until it fell apart and he turned 180 in a blink. I thought it was my BPD acting out because I had a very hard time trusting him and felt things moved a little too fast for me in the beginning. I chalked it up to me having trust issues. Now I am really struggling to figure out whether my trust issues are intertwined with BPD or not.

The books on relationships will be so great! Do you have any recommendations? I don’t know where to start.

My last relationship was the first one I’ve been treated with some respect and niceness until it fell apart and he turned 180 in a blink. I thought it was my BPD acting out because I had a very hard time trusting him and felt things moved a little too fast for me in the beginning. I chalked it up to me having trust issues. Now I am really struggling to figure out whether my trust issues are intertwined with BPD or not.
If you have a history of trauma or previous bad experiences it would make perfect sense why you don't trust easily.

These are all from my amazon orders for my 21 year old sister.

The first book was worth the £9.99 I paid to have my sister give me reasons why the guy she has a on/off thing wasn't a good idea.

Amazon product

You - I loved this one because he is so obsessive over her.

Amazon product

Golden oldie:

Amazon product

How can you heal if you don't know what has happened to you?

Amazon product

But i'm also mainly trying to build up her self esteem and I think that also play a large role too.

• Heart
I had DBT lite which was 12 weeks. I did find it helpful and I wish I had been able to do a full course but I moved areas and it wasn’t available for me in the new area. I imagine there will be differences between groups, my group was quite small to start, maybe 10 and there was only 3 of us left at the end, a lot of people did drop out as they felt it wasn’t for them I guess but I would encourage you to try and stick it out and talk to whoever is leading it if you have any problems.

Is there anything specifically you’re nervous about? Our sessions used to begin with a mindful/meditation session of 10 mins or so and I always enjoyed that. There were worksheets that we worked through and we were encouraged to share general ideas but not get too personal or trigger anyone else. The ladies who led the group were pretty good at pulling it back in if it got a bit much. It was incrediBly nerve wracking at the beginning, I don’t think anyone wanted to speak in front of the others but they understand that you will all be feeling that way, but remember you are all there for the same reason. I hope it goes well for you.
I think I’m just nervous about having to talk about anything too personal in front of a lot of people or being put on the spot and made to speak. Thankyou! 😊

I think I’m just nervous about having to talk about anything too personal in front of a lot of people or being put on the spot and made to speak. Thankyou! 😊
I don’t think that will happen. Like I say all groups will be different but I think they would all try not to delve too much in to personal experiences and you certainly won’t be made to share anything you don’t feel comfortable with. I remember before I started mine I was terrified I really didn’t want to go but by the end I was sad to leave. I really hope you’ll get a lot from it, it can be challenging but it’s worth it.

Reactions: 2
Eek I can’t even sit on a video call to my mum let alone strangers! Is DBT available as 1-1 as well, or is it always group based?
I think you can get 1-1 but most seem to be group based. The one I was offered on the NHS was only group based

Reactions: 2
In DBT they dont do personal sharing- its about responses and mindfulness and awareness of it all. They are quite strict with boundaries like that. Its a good course

Reactions: 3
Found this thread really interesting so thanks to everyone who has contributed. I’m 30 and feel like I’ve struggled with mental health all my life. It’s took me a long time to realise there is more to MH than just depression and anxiety. I’ve thought for a long time I have anxiety, I did get referred for CBT early last year, but I didn’t feel comfortable and gave it up. I was looking up symptoms of ADHD for my son and recognised the symptoms of ADD in myself as well which led me to BPD. I have many symptoms of both. So much of it fits but I don’t know what the answer is as if I couldn’t even do CBT, I don’t really fancy medication... so do I just live with it or what?

Reactions: 3
Found this thread really interesting so thanks to everyone who has contributed. I’m 30 and feel like I’ve struggled with mental health all my life. It’s took me a long time to realise there is more to MH than just depression and anxiety. I’ve thought for a long time I have anxiety, I did get referred for CBT early last year, but I didn’t feel comfortable and gave it up. I was looking up symptoms of ADHD for my son and recognised the symptoms of ADD in myself as well which led me to BPD. I have many symptoms of both. So much of it fits but I don’t know what the answer is as if I couldn’t even do CBT, I don’t really fancy medication... so do I just live with it or what?
Sounds like a very similar situation to me. I self referred but if your local area doesn’t offer that, then definitely speak to your GP. I was very honest and said I feel like there’s more to it than depression, and I want to be screened for BPD or something similar. Best of luck to you! It’s very hard but you definitely don’t have to just put up with it x

I don't think you need to meet all the criteria to have a diagnosis.

I learnt how to not self harm, but would still consider myself to have bpd.

Ugh, I'm massively on a low rn. I've been
burning myself again
and preoccupied with suicidal thoughts

Hate the fact I'm going to have to live with this illness for the rest of my life. Like rn I'm bleeping done.

*impatiently waits for inevitable mania to hit*

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Ugh, I'm massively on a low rn. I've been
burning myself again
and preoccupied with suicidal thoughts

Hate the fact I'm going to have to live with this illness for the rest of my life. Like rn I'm bleeping done.

*impatiently waits for inevitable mania to hit*
This was me yesterday...

I'm thinking of you ❤

• Heart