Borderline Personality Disorder & Clinical Depression.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
thats not what you said. You said an eating disorder was a symptom of BPD. Not true.
You might have multiple disorders but none are a symptom of the other.
BPD isn’t really recognised as a real disorder in old school psych
I can see where your coming from but people with mental illness disorders tend to have eating disorders as a way to cope. Whether that is binging or starving themselves as well as alongside bulimia. Like the poster said about it’s all about control and coping and I know personally with me I would binge when my anxiety was at its highest. My anxiety would be at its highest due to PTSD which I would then binge and that would follow by isolating myself from the outside world. I went from being a social butterfly to a shell of a person. It nearly destroyed my life.

Reactions: 4
I can see where your coming from but people with mental illness disorders tend to have eating disorders as a way to cope. Whether that is binging or starving themselves as well as alongside bulimia. Like the poster said about it’s all about control and coping and I know personally with me I would binge when my anxiety was at its highest. My anxiety would be at its highest due to PTSD which I would then binge and that would follow by isolating myself from the outside world. I went from being a social butterfly to a shell of a person. It nearly destroyed my life.
so you had a reactive ED, due to PTSD.
Nothing to do with what I’m talking about. BPD/EUPD

Reactions: 1
thats not what you said. You said an eating disorder was a symptom of BPD. Not true.
You might have multiple disorders but none are a symptom of the other.
BPD isn’t really recognised as a real disorder in old school psych
Not sure why you're trying to argue with me over something I also struggle with. But if we are going there let us look at one of the definitions provided for diagnoses of BPD in the DSM:

"Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (eg, spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating) [5] ; this does not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in criterion 5".

Firstly, binge eating is for many a diagnosable eating disorder and these are also just examples. Any kind of eating disorder is self-damaging, in fact eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental health issue and often lead to hospitalisation. For this reason eating disorders can clearly characterise themselves as diagnosible both as individual conditions both as also a symptom of a more complex set of mental health issues including BPD.

Mental health is messy and there is no benefit in gate keeping around what is or isn't a symptom or a diagnosable condition as most likely different symptoms or diagnosable conditions interact with each other, creating co-present issues or syndromes.

so you had a reactive ED, due to PTSD.
Nothing to to with what I’m talking about. BPD/EUPD
You're just causing harm with your attitude and unsubstantiated arguments. Give me evidence that I am wrong and maybe I can see where you're coming from. I am only coming at this from my personal and professional experience.

Also what IS harmful is trying to diagnose people over the Internet that you do not know and from what I have read, no medical training? You're going to try say I'm doing the same but I am not - at no point did I say anyone had any such condition, in the original comment I was responding to poster said they suffered from an ED, and from my knowledge this can be linked to BPD.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
An eating disorder is listed in the 'associated mental health problems' in the BPD section on the NHS website. I take from that, whilst it's not an "exact" symptom of BPD, it is very common in people with BPD.

571897FF-05D5-45D6-AAF2-9EE7D4684608.jpeg

Not sure why you're trying to argue with me over something I also struggle with. But if we are going there let us look at one of the definitions provided for diagnoses of BPD in the DSM:

"Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (eg, spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating) [5] ; this does not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in criterion 5".

Firstly, binge eating is for many a diagnosable eating disorder and these are also just examples. Any kind of eating disorder is self-damaging, in fact eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental health issue and often lead to hospitalisation. For this reason eating disorders can clearly characterise themselves as diagnosible both as individual conditions both as also a symptom of a more complex set of mental health issues including BPD.

Mental health is messy and there is no benefit in gate keeping around what is or isn't a symptom or a diagnosable condition as most likely different symptoms or diagnosable conditions interact with each other, creating co-present issues or syndromes.

You're just causing harm with your attitude and unsubstantiated arguments. Give me evidence that I am wrong and maybe I can see where you're coming from. I am only coming at this from my personal and professional experience.

Also what IS harmful is trying to diagnose people over the Internet that you do not know and from what I have read, no medical training? You're going to try say I'm doing the same but I am not - at no point did I say anyone had any such condition, in the original comment I was responding to poster said they suffered from an ED, and from my knowledge this can be linked to BPD.
Ah ok, so in my view, and what I meant was. An eating disorder is not a *symptom* of BPD. Like alcoholism is not a *symptom* of BPD. You might present with self destructive patterns but you wouldn’t be diagnosed with either of these *because of* BPD.
Binge drinking, binge eating, they aren’t classed as eating disorders or alcoholism unless they meet the criteria for both.

I think we’re disagreeing on the diagnosis here, if you’d said “disordered eating” is a symptom of BPD I’d have said nothing, so it was my fault for jumping on the wording.

Whilst I get what you’re saying binge eating or a period of restriction isn’t diagnosed as an eating disorder unless it’s a continuous pattern,
no, I’d never be arsed coming on a platform like this saying I’m a doctor, a therapist, an astronaut, Beyoncé, I generally don’t believe others who do so.

An eating disorder is listed in the 'associated mental health problems' in the BPD section on the NHS website. I take from that, whilst it's not an "exact" symptom of BPD, it is very common in people with BPD.

View attachment 312296
Look at that list, bipolar isn’t a “symptom” of BPD either, you very well could be diagnosed with both though!

From a psychological perspective eating disorders, substance misuse and complex PTSD, are all common co-morbid disorders associated with BPD

I strongly disagree with the BPD diagnosis, working as a mental health professional, I believe it’s a very stigmatising diagnosis. The diagnosis allows psychiatrists, CPNS etc to harmfully “gatekeep” patients presenting in crisis by using bullshit terms like “positive risk taking” “it’s behavioural” and “manipulative/attention seeking”. By slapping a personality disorder diagnosis, on anyone deemed as too complex, it provides a cop out to keep admissions down

How are we still telling trauma survivors in 2020 or victims of abuse they’re the issue? Maladaptive coping strategies are a result of complex trauma, not personality! This victim blaming bullshit is exactly the same, as when Egyptian doctors cited “wandering wombs” the reason for mental illness, or when Freud used the harmful hysteria diagnosis.

The DSM listed autism as “childhood schizophrenia” until 1968 so I’m sceptical about its credibility, DSM also listed homosexuality as mental illness until 1973. Diagnosis can be helpful as it provides an explanation for behaviour. I prefer a formulation based plan. I don’t believe BPD is “trauma informed care”. I think emotional dysregulation is linked to complex trauma, Marsha Linehan has provided excellent therapeutic interventions, such as DBT skills.

The criteria for BPD is so broad it could easily apply to any female presenting in distress, clinicians can twist presenting symptoms, to easily apply this label to a patient, without realising the long term implications it will have, as it’s often a barrier to receiving appropriate follow up care.

Impulsivity, mood swings, self harm, feeling empty, anger there’s 5/9 of the criteria that any human could easily meet under distress. People forget self harm isn’t only associated with self injury.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
From a psychological perspective eating disorders, substance misuse and complex PTSD, are all common co-morbid disorders associated with BPD

I strongly disagree with the BPD diagnosis, working as a mental health professional, I believe it’s a very stigmatising diagnosis. The diagnosis allows psychiatrists, CPNS etc to harmfully “gatekeep” patients presenting in crisis by using bullshit terms like “positive risk taking” “it’s behavioural” and “manipulative/attention seeking”. By slapping a personality disorder diagnosis, on anyone deemed as too complex, it provides a cop out to keep admissions down

How are we still telling trauma survivors in 2020 or victims of abuse they’re the issue? Maladaptive coping strategies are a result of complex trauma, not personality! This victim blaming bullshit is exactly the same, as when Egyptian doctors cited “wandering wombs” the reason for mental illness, or when Freud used the harmful hysteria diagnosis.

The DSM listed autism as “childhood schizophrenia” until 1968 so I’m sceptical about its credibility, DSM also listed homosexuality as mental illness until 1973. Diagnosis can be helpful as it provides an explanation for behaviour. I prefer a formulation based plan. I don’t believe BPD is “trauma informed care”. I think emotional dysregulation is linked to complex trauma, Marsha Linehan has provided excellent therapeutic interventions, such as DBT skills.

The criteria for BPD is so broad it could easily apply to any female presenting in distress, clinicians can twist presenting symptoms, to easily apply this label to a patient, without realising the long term implications it will have, as it’s often a barrier to receiving appropriate follow up care.

Impulsivity, mood swings, self harm, feeling empty, anger there’s 5/9 of the criteria that any human could easily meet under distress. People forget self harm isn’t only associated with self injury.
I really appreciate this perspective and I agree with what you are saying.

I quoted the DSM only because of @Oohthedrama getting into specifics of the condition and wanted to clarify why I thought the conditions were related.

I think upon reflection it is probably not true to say it is a symptom persay, but that people suffering from such could be diagnosed with such too/they are comorbid. I agree that it isn't always helpful to put everything under the bracket of BPD.

I still don't see @Oohthedrama is trying to cause an argument though. It isn't helpful.

Reactions: 2
I think upon reflection it is probably not true to say it is a symptom persay, but that people suffering from such could be diagnosed with such too/they are comorbid. I agree that it isn't always helpful to put everything under the bracket of BPD.

I still don't see @Oohthedrama is trying to cause an argument though. It isn't helpful.
Your last sentence makes no sense, so you both agree with me and think I’m trying to cause an argument?
Could it maybe be that we’re adults with a difference in opinion that could easily be sorted out and discussed without the dramatics?

I strongly disagree with the BPD diagnosis, working as a mental health professional, I believe it’s a very stigmatising diagnosis.
it’s a really harmful diagnosis in my opinion. Any professionals I’ve come in contact with refuse to diagnose a patient with it.

I’m really torn on this because I do feel shame around my diagnosis but I do have all the symptoms and believe I have it in addition to being told I do. So there’s the shame on one hand. But on the other hand it’s only since getting the diagnosis that I’ve received proper help. I’ve been in and out of the Dr’s, hospital and private therapy since my teens and it’s never got me anywhere. The Dr always put it down to depression and prescribed tablets and the therapy I had didn’t make a difference at all. Since the diagnosis I have a CPN, have had a short course in DBT and now am getting psychology on the nhs. So it’s been a curse and a blessing for me but I’m the most stable I’ve been in a really long time and feel like I’m understood now which is an enormous relief. I always felt there was something wrong with me and I was unfixable but I didn’t know what it was. Not it feels like the help I’m getting is starting to hit the right spots if that makes sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Wow. Thank you everyone for replying, i really wasnt expecting this response at all. And thank you to you all for sharing your stories, you are all so brave and its quite comforting for me to find out im not the only person suffering with this. xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
as it’s often a barrier to receiving appropriate follow up care.
Wow. Thank you everyone for replying, i really wasnt expecting this response at all. And thank you to you all for sharing your stories, you are all so brave and its quite comforting for me to find out im not the only person suffering with this. xxx
I will say, I want to stress this point when it comes to BPD,
Never allow anyone use your BPD diagnosis as a way to brush off other issues or illnesses that arise. Because unfortunately there is a stigma around it.

Honestly no one is bothered about how thin or fat you are. There's loads of absolutely massive people about and no one gives a duck. Just ring the Drs, you don't need to go. A lot of them are just doing phone calls only at the moment anyway.x
I really wish i felt that way but ive recently put on 2 stone thanks to my meds (and me not taking drugs) and i feel so fat and disgusting. I was always nice and slim and tbh my body was the only good thing about me, so now i feel hideous. I am really struggling with my weight gain and its massively impacting on me feeling even more depressed.

• Sad
I really wish i felt that way but ive recently put on 2 stone thanks to my meds (and me not taking drugs) and i feel so fat and disgusting. I was always nice and slim and tbh my body was the only good thing about me, so now i feel hideous. I am really struggling with my weight gain and its massively impacting on me feeling even more depressed.
I get this. I was out on a medication 4 years ago which causes weight gain. I felt so miserable about it all and really struggled. I've managed to lose weight through diet and exercise but I know of others that have had merformin prescribed to curb their appetite though its hard to find a gp that will do this. Its a tough choice between being mentally well and being bigger which causes me to feel down.

Ive had too many professionals tell me "You'll grow out of it", still treating the distress as though its just hormones and teenage angst. There are core emotional skills that arent instilled in people, or taught in harmful ways, there is so often trauma as the cause.. its so bleeping dismissive to label it as BPD like that. Especially when you think its mainly women/girls that suffer with it.

I get this. I was out on a medication 4 years ago which causes weight gain. I felt so miserable about it all and really struggled. I've managed to lose weight through diet and exercise but I know of others that have had merformin prescribed to curb their appetite though its hard to find a gp that will do this. Its a tough choice between being mentally well and being bigger which causes me to feel down.
Honestly, its such a big deal to me. Im probably not explaining myself very well or im coming across as very vain. But i feel so disgusting, i can actually feel the disgust within my own body. I must be a pretty horrid person if being fat is the worst thing that can happen to me, but its honestly the way i feel. Even when i was being reckless with drugs i would only touch ones that would either help me lose weight or not make me put weight on (some of my 'mates' used to take pregabs but i wouldnt touch them because i know they can cause weight gain).
I should just be happy im still alive, twice this year ive taken planned overdoses, and apparently they both could have easily killed me. That was me being immpulsive and i couldnt cope with the cheating and the situation i put myself in. Thankfully im more stable now, but ive been pretty sheltered since coming out of hospital and i dont have social media anymore, i dont see any of the 'mates' that took advantage of me, and my partner and my mum pretty much need to look after me like im a child, even though im 34.

sorry for waffling on, i know what i try and say but sometimes it comes out all mixed up, so if you can make sense of what ive posted then you are brilliant xx

Honestly, its such a big deal to me. Im probably not explaining myself very well or im coming across as very vain. But i feel so disgusting, i can actually feel the disgust within my own body. I must be a pretty horrid person if being fat is the worst thing that can happen to me, but its honestly the way i feel. Even when i was being reckless with drugs i would only touch ones that would either help me lose weight or not make me put weight on (some of my 'mates' used to take pregabs but i wouldnt touch them because i know they can cause weight gain).
I should just be happy im still alive, twice this year ive taken planned overdoses, and apparently they both could have easily killed me. That was me being immpulsive and i couldnt cope with the cheating and the situation i put myself in. Thankfully im more stable now, but ive been pretty sheltered since coming out of hospital and i dont have social media anymore, i dont see any of the 'mates' that took advantage of me, and my partner and my mum pretty much need to look after me like im a child, even though im 34.

sorry for waffling on, i know what i try and say but sometimes it comes out all mixed up, so if you can make sense of what ive posted then you are brilliant xx
I get it. I don't think it's a small thing. How we look or perceive we look can have a huge impact on our wellbeing

Do you mean Metformin? I thought this was just prescribed to people with Diabetes and Pcos? It does make you lose weight because it makes you feel sick and you can only manage a bite here and there of food. I've had it but I felt really off with it. The extended release version is better than the normal one.x

Do you mean Metformin? I thought this was just prescribed to people with Diabetes and Pcos? It does make you lose weight because it makes you feel sick and you can only manage a bite here and there of food. I've had it but I felt really off with it. The extended release version is better than the normal one.x
It is only really prescribed to those with those conditions. Occasionally though it is prescribed to people who are gaining a lot of weight quickly which can happen with some medications. Especially when changing the medication or stopping it isn't in their best interest. My gp wouldn't though.

Can you ask your GP to change it? I'm on Mirtazapine after being on a whole lot of other anti-depressants. I never made the connection between weight gain and anti-depressants until this year but groups I'm part of for another mental health condition, always advise that you can ask for a different med if weight gain becomes an issue for you. And why not if it's making you feel horrible what is the point, however be prepared for a battle as some docs will be dicks and be like "let's just park the weight gain for now" as if that's not a large contributing factor to how you feel about yourself. Obviously, I don't know your condition and how meds will work for you, but it okay to change until you find the right one for you. I have to say I've lost weight on Mirtazapine , but only because I've started working out. Throughout the years I've just steadily been gaining!
Also sorry I know I say GP in the beginning but I assume you'll be under the care of a MH team for a bit? Worth getting them working before they discharge you back to the GP.