Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One of my all time favourites and the one that stuck out to me when I read this thread title is Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine. I've found that people generally find it a marmite book - you either love it or hate it! But I absolutely adored it and adored Eleanor. I read it over 2 years ago and still think about it, I think I'll reread soon!
I absolutely loved this book. I listened to it on audible and the narrator was perfect, brought Eleanor to life just wonderfully. I listened to it about a year after I’d read the book, I preferred the audio book to the written book but only because the narrator’s voice and mannerisms were just as I’d imagine Eleanor to sound like. I found myself very invested in her life 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m struggling to read as much as I would usually due to a small baby but I have just finished The Cows by Dawn O’Porter. I really enjoyed it, it was funny and thought provoking, certainly different to the usual chick lit - in a good way.

Reactions: 5
Ive just received the murder game from that author.

Finished lately/this week.

The hunting party - Lucy Foley
i've read that book, really enjoyed it.

A few months ago I read Jennifer Ruff's Brooke Walton series (3 books), it was really good. I read so many books of the same genre that sometimes they all blend into one 😁.

Last edited:
This thread makes me happy :)
I always have 1 book on my Kindle/a paperback and 1 audiobook. I just finished the Natalie Ward series by Carol Wyer on Kindle- definitely recommend if you’re into crime novels.
On audible I currently have ‘The Secret Child’ by Kerry Fisher on the go. Definitely not one of her better ones (in my opinion), it’s 2 hours from the end and just got interesting.
I have audible and Kindle unlimited memberships as I’m a bit of a bookworm!

Reactions: 7
People praising Eleanor Oliphant, I totally agree. Brilliant book.

I'm currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Not my usual thing at all but I am loving it.

Reactions: 3
Love this thread!

In January I read The Institute by Stephen King and My Sister The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite, both excellent reads.

Now I’ve started on an actual brick of a book, The Priory of The Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It’s a fantasy book and is gonna take me a while to get through 😳

Reactions: 1
Jodie Picoult - it's for teenagers but I love it

We've been listening to 1Q84 by Haruki oMurakami. It's really good.

i have loads on my good reads - i think i am mouse on there too

My book of the year so far is also Eleanor oliphant is completely fine

I love mystery/ thriller and have read some crackers this year

Anything by sabine Durrant, Sarah Pinborough,. Just about to start the All souls trilogy as i watched the Sky TV Series A Discovery of Witches and it ended on a belting cliff hanger.
Loved A Discovery of Witches - series 2 is coming later this year, can't wait!!

Reactions: 2
Loved A Discovery of Witches - series 2 is coming later this year, can't wait!!
I haven’t watched the series yet, still have it sat on my planner. I read the first book before it came out and I wasn’t overly taken with it so couldn’t be bothered to read the second. I will probably still watch the series though to see how it compares!

Ive just received the murder game from that author.

Finished lately/this week.

The hunting party - Lucy Foley
If I never met you - Mhairi McFarlane
New beginnings at Glendale hall - Victoria Walters. (Chewing gum for the brain, but I’d read part one so felt I needed to tick the sequel off my list)

I read Christmas shopaholic last week - judge away.
I used to love that series but her writing, and her books in general became a struggle to read, this however was really good, it was cute, a solid 3.5/5 but for a series that went off the boil I enjoyed it 🤷‍♀️ That’s probably why it’s got a good score with me 😂 because the last few were tit.

I read a lot of Karen Swan over Christmas/New Years. I really enjoy her books.
I need to start reading more than just chick lit 😂😂

I use goodreads for books so it feels weird here 😂

Currently reading/about to start - the name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss
No judgement here for Christmas Shopaholic! I was so relieved it was back to it's former best and not the churning out of any old madness of old. Are there more in the pipeline?

Some of my fave reads from last year:
Daisy Jones and the Six.
The Brighton Mermaid
All the light we cannot see
Roar Cecilia Ahern
The Rules of Seeing
Days of Wonder
Little Fires Everywhere

Just finished reading The Five: the untold lives of the women killed by Jack the Ripper too which was good.

Daisy Jones and the Six.
Ah I read this for my book club last year. No literary masterpiece but a very enjoyable page turner - which is sometimes all you want. And people can underestimate the skill involved in making a story that compelling with characters so believable. No surprise to hear it’s being made into a series - by reese Witherspoon’s production company I think...

Reactions: 4
Ah I read this for my book club last year. No literary masterpiece but a very enjoyable page turner - which is sometimes all you want. And people can underestimate the skill involved in making a story that compelling with characters so believable. No surprise to hear it’s being made into a series - by reese Witherspoon’s production company I think...
I didn't like the end though.

I'm stuck on a few books at the moment - Adults, and Olive Kitteridge. Currently really enjoying The Improbability of Love - one I've been meaning to read for ages.

One of my all time favourites and the one that stuck out to me when I read this thread title is Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine. I've found that people generally find it a marmite book - you either love it or hate it! But I absolutely adored it and adored Eleanor. I read it over 2 years ago and still think about it, I think I'll reread soon!
I've just ordered the book!

I've just ordered the book!
I’ve got 2 copies of it that people have given me and still not gotten around to reading it 😄 I find it easier to read on my kindle, especially with kids - my toddler pulls out bookmarks so I don’t like to leave books laying around, and it’s easier to read one handed while feeding my 4month old!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I recommend David Leavitt as an author. I read his book The Lost Language Of Cranes (Made into a film by the BBC which I haven’t seen) a long time ago. He’s written a book on Alan Turing as well as many others.

Jodie Picoult - it's for teenagers but I love it

We've been listening to 1Q84 by Haruki oMurakami. It's really good.
I read 1Q84 years ago, took me ages but I loved it! It’s such an odd book but didn’t feel unnecessarily complicated or try hard

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.