Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just read The House Share by Kate Helm.

A really good book, all about secrets and lies in a trendy London house share. Let me put it this way, I barely guessed any of the secrets and twists in the book. But it was gripping.

Reactions: 3

A really good book, all about secrets and lies in a trendy London house share. Let me put it this way, I barely guessed any of the secrets and twists in the book. But it was gripping.
Ooh looks good, I’ve just ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: 4
Audio Book Im just about finishing Education by Tara Westover. I tend to only listen to Non Fiction/memoirs, I cant focus on fiction when listening weirdly. I have The Five - The untold lives of the women killed by Jack The Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold thanks to Amazon giving me 3 months audible at 3.99 per month.

I finshed Caitlin Moran - How to be a woman, last night, Id been reading it for months. It was just meh. I really didnt enjoy it, cliche and lazy writing.

Started Three Women by Lisa Taddeo this morning, I usually prefer my non fiction books in audible form but Ive been pulled in by this. I've read 40% already. Has anyone else read it?

I'm another fan of the House Share. I thought it was quite surprising for the end.

I think I may have mentioned this a while back but I really enjoyed John Marrs - The One. There is a new show on Amazon called Soulmates which has quite a similar premise. I thought I'd recommend it here whilst I thought of it!!

Also how do people read? Do you prefer paperback or kindle? I'm tempted to buy a kindle but my paperback TBR pile is massive. And I always feel e-books can be quite expensive compared to second hand paperbacks.

I'm another fan of the House Share. I thought it was quite surprising for the end.

I think I may have mentioned this a while back but I really enjoyed John Marrs - The One. There is a new show on Amazon called Soulmates which has quite a similar premise. I thought I'd recommend it here whilst I thought of it!!

Also how do people read? Do you prefer paperback or kindle? I'm tempted to buy a kindle but my paperback TBR pile is massive. And I always feel e-books can be quite expensive compared to second hand paperbacks.
Love John Marrs. That book actually was going to be made into a Netflix show... maybe it’s that but called a different name?

I have a kindle and tend to just buy books when they’re cheap, even if it means waiting a while til they go down to 99p! Most I pay is £1.99. Any more and I have to really want to read it! I did order the paperback of The House Share though as it’s only 10p more than kindle and then at least I can pass it on.

Reactions: 2
Love John Marrs. That book actually was going to be made into a Netflix show... maybe it’s that but called a different name?

I have a kindle and tend to just buy books when they’re cheap, even if it means waiting a while til they go down to 99p! Most I pay is £1.99. Any more and I have to really want to read it! I did order the paperback of The House Share though as it’s only 10p more than kindle and then at least I can pass it on.
Ah I'm glad to have found another fan! Which one is your favourite? Mine is probably The Passengers. I also checked and the book due to be made into a netflix show is The Minders. Soulmates doesn't reference to John Marrs so I think it might just be a similar idea...

That's a good point. I keep telling myself I don't need a kindle. But I keep seeing books I want for 99p.I think I can also get library books on there too.

Reactions: 1
a sky full of stars is very good! Recommend. @Marylou
I've read This Love by her and really enjoyed it, I find her stories quite unique.

I have a Kindle and wouldn't be without it, I was very reluctant to begin with tbh cause I love "books". I ordered 9 kindle books recently from Amazon and they cost 10 pounds. I make a wish list, sign up for offers and snap them up when they're at a 99p special price.

I read both on kindle and physical books.

I don't tend to buy books in their physical form, but often receive them as gifts. If the book I want is expensive on kindle, I request it from my library and read it that way.

I also borrow books from friends and family etc. I buy my mum a lot of books so tend to read hers after her.

The best advice I can give for kindle books is to keep a wishlist on amazon and check it frequently. You can sort by price high to low and it also shows if the price has dropped since you added it to your list :) Occasionally you will get an alert that a book on your list is on a deal too.

Reactions: 2
I have a paperwhite so happy to answer any questions you might have 😊
Thank you! I have ordered it in blue and it arrives tomorrow. I'm looking forward to reading in bed when I can't sleep. From what I saw I should be able to do that with the lighting. Is that right?

I'm going to start having a look at the cheaper ebooks haha.

Reading update - I started reading I heart Hawaii by Lindsey Kelk this morning. I've read the rest of the I heart series so I'm looking forward to the final book.

Thank you! I have ordered it in blue and it arrives tomorrow. I'm looking forward to reading in bed when I can't sleep. From what I saw I should be able to do that with the lighting. Is that right?

I'm going to start having a look at the cheaper ebooks haha.

Reading update - I started reading I heart Hawaii by Lindsey Kelk this morning. I've read the rest of the I heart series so I'm looking forward to the final book.
Yup you can set the light to anything between 1 and 24. I think the published battery life is based on level 10. I have mine on about 7 or 8 as I mainly read before bed so don't want it too bright.

I read laying on my side and it is great!

I love my paperwhite. I find it so easy to pick up and down. I get through books on my kindle so much quicker than normal books.

My big complaint with the Paperwhite is the touch screen. It was so much easier when there were front and back buttons on either side. Now it's more fiddly.

I'm a romance reader, love the stuff! I've just found this author Mariana Zapata on Goodreads and have fallen in love with her book, The Wall of Winnipeg. Read it all within 2 days! I tend to read a lot of stuff I wouldn't let slide in real life 😂

Love a good thriller as well but I'm a wuss and don't like reading them at night which is when I usually find the time to read!

My big complaint with the Paperwhite is the touch screen. It was so much easier when there were front and back buttons on either side. Now it's more fiddly.
I have never struggled with the touch screen. I'm so used to everything bring touch screen these days it feels natural! If you are looking looking upgrade however the kindle oasis has buttons

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.