Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

qwikti

Chatty Member
Quite a few bangers on the kindle daily deal list today! Piranesi, The Other Black Girl and Early Morning Riser! Bought Early Morning Riser, I've had my eye on it, it sounds really good! I wonder if the daily deals on weekends are better than on weekdays :unsure: just a theory

Also, finally, a million years after everyone else, I have managed to get my hands on The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo through my library! Might try to read and finish it over the weekend, it feels doable, but it's all based on how much I click with it I guess!

Reactions: 6

Laurenia

Finished Piranesi by Susanna Clarke last night, stayed up just to finish it because I really enjoyed it! Would give it a 4.5 stars, really loved the main character, and it was really atmospheric.

Would love to know if anyone has tried Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by the same author, and if you recommend it! It seems to be an absolute tome but if it's as good as Piranesi, I'll try to make time for it!
I’ve had Piranesi on my TBR pile for a while but felt a bit intimidated by it. I think I’ll read it next.

Currently reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. It’s the first real book I’ve read this year I’m ashamed to say, and only because my MIL lent it to me. I’ve become a kindle addict.

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I have never read a festive/ Christmas book. Please don't banish me from the thread 😜
GET OUT!!!!!!

btw just Incase anyone hears the nasty rumour I read another Christmas book between yesterday evening and now it’s complete lies and I fully deny it.

ETA Marion Keyes does this as well. Her women become depressed, lose masses of weight and are then incredibly desirable.
Every. Single. Time
I cannot STAND Marion Keyes, grown ups has made me think I won’t bother with any of her books anymore, they’re a struggle to get through and I won’t dare listen to the audiobook version of any Irish authors, it’s like listening to nails on a chalkboard.

• Haha

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I can't stand it when that happens on Kindle, I actually wrote to Avon Books and complained about it. They responded and wrote a long message about Kindle clicks = more money or something. It is so annoying, I would cosy down and think I have 20% of a book to go but no, it is over without a proper goodbye.

qwikti

Chatty Member
1001 eye-rolls later, and I have finished off Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Safe to say I didn't like it.

I have Daisy Jones and the Six downloaded, so I will eventually check that out (purely because I already paid for it, although I will be very DNF-trigger happy), but not exactly rushing into it any time soon.

• Sad

AdelesEarring

Chatty Member
Excellent thread. If you’ve not read Lolita, I would highly recommend. Horrible subject matter but the writing is exquisite and forces you to take an uncomfortable look at how society treats victims.

EllaEm87

VIP Member
There's loads staffed by volunteers nowadays as councils want to save money by closing them down. There's at least three libraries staffed solely by volunteers in an eight mile radius of me.
This! Paid library services are dying out but community libraries are still a thing.

hello everyone! I just stumbled on this thread but feels like my kinda place! I’m currently reading The Book of Two Ways by Jodi Picoult, I have Crawdads and the Strawberry Thief in my paper tbr pile. I also have a kindle and switch between the two 😊

I just finished A Nurses Story by Louise Curtis about an A&E nurse during Covid. I’m drawn to those types of biographies as I’m a nurse in ED myself but this one lacked the humour and wit of others I’ve read that lighten the load of a heavy work environment. She was also very self congratulatory at times and seemed to look down on her other “newer” colleagues which I didn’t gel with. She described herself as beautiful and pretty more than once too which made me eye roll. If you’re into those kind of books I wouldn’t bother. She’s no Adam Kay.

Laurenia

I do this too, the Harry Potter books and the True Blood series are my go-to comfort reads.

When I was growing up I used to love the Sweet Valley High books, The Babysitters Club books and The Saddle Club books 😂 I would love to re-read some of those now!

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Finished some very different books this week,

Imperfect Women by Araminta Hall,
The first day of spring by Nancy Tucker,
As luck would have it by Zoe May,
The Magician by Colm Tóibín.

NOT ONE CHRISTMAS BOOK IN SIGHT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.
I need a Christmas book ASAP 😂😅

Oh no, I hope you find something good soon!

I’ve had an emotional week (family bereavement) so I’m re-reading Jane Eyre - classic comfort reading.
sending you love and strength. 🤍

• Heart
  • Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
So I decided it was now acceptable to start reading Christmas books….. just finished The Christmas Holiday by Sophie Claire and was extremely disappointed ☹ It wasn’t the least bit festive at all!! Was about 2 people who didn’t want to celebrate Christmas so went on holiday and didn’t have a tree, Christmas dinner or anything remotely festive!!

Hoping my next Christmas pick will have more festive feels.
I can’t do twee Christmas books, they need to have a real plot or I get annoyed 😂
I think some of my favourites have been two authors I mention a lot here,

some of my top picks, but I have a lot 🙈
1B84F63F-A341-4314-89C1-665EF435394F.jpeg
4B022D29-C399-4A20-8992-6034FA5CD88A.jpeg
F7AB4FEA-1700-40AB-9B56-6AFFAB20814F.jpeg
19427548-721F-472C-862D-36ED613AEFCD.jpeg

nbt

VIP Member
Starting today off well with the purchase of three books.

Three Hours - I still haven’t read it but it’s 99p today!

Rock Paper Scissors - 99p today

Her Perfect Family - first reads purchase.

Happy happy happy! 🥰

ETA - I started The Flight last night and wow, the first 10% or so is extremely tense!

Seven of Nine

Has anyone read the Vanishing Half? what did you think?
I also felt it was slightly over hyped, I enjoyed it, but I also read the whole book waiting for it to really sing and become this amazing book everyone described to me. In the end it was eh but maybe if I went in blind, not expecting anything, I would’ve loved it more

note - finished twilight it was not as good as I remember, last re read it 5/6years ago, maybe it’s because I’ve read a lot of really good books in the last few years or I’m just older and less obsessed. But it was still a great switch off because I’m having an anxious and stressful week

qwikti

Chatty Member
You guys have lowkey got met into a christmassy reading mood, have downloaded 'Christmas at the Cornish Guest House' (don't judge me) from Prime Reading as a light easy breezy train-ride read. Not sure that I've settled on that one, so I am taking recommendations (from Prime Reading list) for more light romances though

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Started reading 'the beresford' by Will Carver earlier. Its so good so far.
I'm excited to continue reading it tomorrow
I read this this week! also just finished Susan Lewis “I have something to tell you” and my one true north by Milly Johnson, and the wedding thief, which was a random library borrow.

and possibly the worst author I’ve ever read, Susan Mallory with the Christmas wedding guest… something or other 😂 gosh it was painful.

bloody love the library 😌😌😌 I’ve just borrowed Sarah Morgan’s new CHRISTMAS BOOK 😝😝

Marylou

VIP Member
Started a new book. As some of you know I was struggling with The Beekeeper of Aleppo and felt bad about not finishing it. But I’ve put it to the side and started The Dover Cafe at War and so far it’s really good. The front cover makes it look a bit simple but it’s really engaging.

You’re on goodreads! Do you have the same problem with the Russian sex bots following you and liking your reviews and ratings? I hardly post on there, only too keep a track on what I’ve read and I have 50 followers who love that I often give 3 stars to books 🤦‍♀️
The only reason I use Goodreads is to keep track of books I've read. It irritates me when I get notifications from people I follow, let alone see bots 🤣 I set a challenge and even that's hit or miss as sometimes it doesn't mark the book as read, despite my kindle showing 100% and I've definitely finished the book.

Did you start? I started reading it earlier in the car in my 20 mins to kill doing the school run (yeah I arrive early to get a space and have a read in peace)... Haven't put it down yet and am now 53% in so pretty sure it's not getting put down until it's finished and I'm only getting a few hours sleep tonight!

It used to be my non sleeping child stole my sleep, now it's the recommendations on this thread!
Quoting myself but bloody hell, that was good!

I thought it was the sister from the very beginning with the airport announcer in the background, only because I read a book before where the twist was that the baddie was in a different country so I immediately thought it was the same again. Would not have guessed the real truth in a million years!

I thought it was a bit far fetched about the fake sighting of the thin man because the bridesmaid thought the fella she fancied might have done it, so she pre-emptively gave him an alibi - unless she was into kids too why would she want to marry him??

Oh and that now takes me to book 60 for the year out of my reading target of 50 and still 1/4 of the year left! What can I read next?

• Heart

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
I’ve been reading beautiful world where are you this weekend after picking it up from the library….not sure how I feel about it! Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend