Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

GoofyPrincess

Chatty Member
What does everyone prefer? Long or short chapters? Or not bothered?
I much prefer short chapters. Always struggle much more when books are full of long chapters for some reason, think it just feels like I'm getting nowhere!

Reactions: 6

loobyscoobydoo

I'm reading Dominicana by Angie Cruz. I'm enjoying it even if the writing style is taking a bit of getting used to.

I'm getting close to hitting my good reads target of 30 books this year! (Which doesn't sound like much but I usually read about 2 or 3 books a year 😂)

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing.i don't know what it is but I love some parts in the book and hates the other ones😅Anyone else?
It's a real Marmite book. I liked it and feel like Kya is buried in my heart.

"I wasn't aware that words could hold so much. I didn't know a sentence could be so full."

slugella

VIP Member
I decided to check this out, and YES, this is precisely the vibe I was looking for!! Only read the prologue so far, but it's giving everything I needed it to give, thanks so much for the recommendation! Let me just light my pumpkin spice candle, sip my tea and enjoy 🎃
Im about 60% of the way through and am enjoying it! Let me know how you get on. :giggle:
i think Richard writes his book but not Georgia.

I held off reading Richards first book as it was so over-hyped and I usually hate books like that but as other tattlers have said I read one and enjoyed it so much and enjoyed the second one as well. I like books that build a whole world around them and love how they are based on older people!
I have the second but haven't read it yet. I really enjoyed the first though and agree I like that it was based on older people. I loved the characters and found them v funny. I wouldn't class it as a serious crime plot it was more the characters that made the book so enjoyable for me.

• Heart

nbt

VIP Member
I’ve been pretty slow with the last few books I’ve read and not really had a stand out one.

Yesterday I finished Behind Closed Doors by BA Paris and loved it! Read it in two sittings. Anyone else read it? Or other books by the same author? I have The Therapist by her too.

Lola123

VIP Member
I thought it was awful 😂😂😂 but if we all like the same books the world would be that bit more boring

• Haha
I’ve put 5 books on hold at my local library. I picked some books from my wish list that are expensive on kindle and the prices haven’t dropped for a while.

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Anyone got any recommendations from kindle unlimited, I’ve had a free trial and I’ve read a bit from it but have any of you read anything good from it?
A lot!

This is my list I keep on notes of Kindle Unlimited some I have read and enjoyed, others I am pretty sure I will like as they came from bookstagram. Mostly crime/thriller. I think KU is great value, but I can't get to my actual library right now. I just keep adding to this KU list.....

The Perfect Child - Lucinda Berry

When We Believed In Mermaids - Barbara o'Neill

Drift Net - Lin Anderson (started this but found it a bit boggy, I will go back to it again though)

Devil in the Red Dirt - Michael P Smith

The Patriot Cipher - Sean McCutchen (reading this now and loving it)

The Square - Rosie Millard

Tess Stimson - which ones of hers are on KU changes a lot, but any are good.

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

First One in, Last One Out - Marilyn Shimon

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

The Thing About Clare - Imogen Clark

Honeymoon for One - Portia MacIntosh

Evidence of the Affair - Taylor Jenkins Reid (I am yet to read any of hers that I actually enjoy)

The Guilty Mother - Diane Jeffrey

The Push - Claire McGowan

He Will Find You - Diane Jeffrey

Every Last Secret - A R Torre

The Ghostwriter - Alessandra Torre

The Woman Next Door - Natasha Boydell

Inside Broadmoor - Jonathan Levi

The Snowdonia Killings (series) - Simon McCleave

Tall Oaks - Chris Whitaker

A Parent Apart - Gary Wright

A Litter of Bones - JD Kirk

The Wish List - Ruby Hummingbird

A Thousand Tiny Disappointments - Sarah Edghill

Above and Beyond - Saskia Swann

Don't Tell Jack - Harriet Mills

Queen of Hearts - Eve Alexander

Divided House - J M Dalgleish (start of series)

Corfe Castle Murders - Rachel McLean (start of series)

Carol Wyer - all of hers.

A River in Darkness - Masaji Ishikawa (about his escape from North Korea, I can't wait to read this)

Bloodline - Jess Lourey

Small Sacrifices - Ann Rule (true life murder of children by mother so a little bit hard to read)

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I can only say again how much I love it when you talk about using libraries. They are under constant threat in England and their funding decreases every year. This year senior managers questioned if we actually needed a book fund to buy new books or could we source them “elsewhere “! Every time you use your library service you support it, thank you on behalf of library staff!
Aw this makes my heart happy! i talk about the library none stop now 😂 I even have my neighbour using it again, she’s in her late 70’s and learned how to use the app and now goes back to the actual library every week, I hate that it took lockdown for me to really appreciate it again! I’m honestly the biggest fan at the moment, it’s like a sweet shop to me. 😍
Btw, furry purry bean cat saved a library from closure, the kids were reading this from the library app 😂

1FE10C81-05B5-4C8D-8B06-840B3708912D.jpeg

• Heart

Smca53

VIP Member
Hello 👋 I haven’t visited these threads for a while, I got in to quite a reading slump and wasn’t really enjoying anything I was reading, I was only finishing the books off because I hate (hate 😬) leaving books unfinished. I really need to stop that!

Anyway I’m just finishing off a Stephen King which I’ve really enjoyed and I think the reason for that is that it’s a proper long read that you can delve in to and get familiar with the world it’s set in? I think that’s also why I really like Donna Tartt, same sort of thing where it’s a long read that you can get in to.

I’ve read most of King’s so kind of looking for some other books of that type of length/style, does anyone have any particular recs?

Or alternatively a meaty series I can get stuck in to 🤣

HoGi

VIP Member
I don't understand how some of you read more than one book at a time. I hate starting a new book if I haven't finished the precvious one.

Anyway One Small Mistake from amazon prime reads was brilliant. I finished it last night and would highly recommend if you like a good thriller.
I always have at least 3 on the go.

1 from the library - anatomy of a scandal
1 audio book - the perfect wife
1 on my kindle - the ex hex

For me it means I have a book for every situation

• Heart

chocolate choux

VIP Member
Has anyone read the new Sally Rooney yet? I am interested to see how it compares to her other two books.
I have started it because I had more audible credits than I knew what to do with, I’m not a big fan of hers so much as I find her writing and reactions to it interesting. Two hours in and it’s pretty slow and heavy on the politics; I’d say it was more like Conversations with Friends than Normal People, which suits me fine as I thought the former was the better book. That being said, so far I’d say it’s more of the same with some environmentalism thrown in. I listened to an interview with SR where she spoke about how she only writes about what she knows intimately (hence her books and stories featuring characters with similar experiences to her own) so I’m not expecting anything new.

If you enjoyed her other books you’ll probably like it alright, if not best to steer clear judging from what I’ve read so far. Will update when I’ve finished it.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
2 out of 4 books are ready for library pick up. Not sure if I can be bothered tonight but definitely going this weekend. I can't wait
I’m obsessed with the library lately ☺

Just finished one about a village obsessed with Christmas and now onto second Xmas one. All on kindle unlimited. They have it all, jaded female characters with complicated parents/ex/ running away. Sad lonely and or evil business man also With A Past. single parent friends, friends with heartbreaking backstories.
they are never going to win any high brow reading awards but they are nice and well written for the genre
*hears Christmas*
YOU CALLED 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
2 out of 4 books are ready for library pick up. Not sure if I can be bothered tonight but definitely going this weekend. I can't wait

• Heart

Geranium

VIP Member
I am not keen on super long chapters. But you know what I really dislike? Chapters that flip back and forth between present day and the past. One of the worst books I tried to read was The Time Traveler's Wife.
That’s one of my all time favourite books 😀