Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Libertine1975

VIP Member
I’ve started My Dark Vanessa this evening. I’ve not read the reviews on the previous threads so going in completely open minded.

How long are the chapters though?! Just reached a chapter that is 55 mins long according to my reading time 😅

What does everyone prefer? Long or short chapters? Or not bothered?
I read this in March I don't remember the chapters being really long but they did vary and none of them were really short chapters.

I think I usually read books with shorter chapters more quickly because I think oh one more chapter won't hurt and I'm there an hour later 🙈

Reactions: 5

mindlessness

VIP Member
I finished Alonement this evening - would recommend!
Isn't it lovely? One of my favourites. Have you read any Kazuo Ishiguro? Never Let Me Go and Atonement are sort of paired together in my mind. Possibly as I read them at a similar time (and then of course there are the movies, both with Keira Knightley). But I think also because of the way they both explore the anguish of youth and first love in a world you don't/can't control or understand.

• Heart

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Have any of you abandoned a book before? I was always taught to carry on books even if I disliked them and I’ve only ever abandoned one book before (Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively), Christ I even read Milkman and that was the worst book ever!
I’m currently reading Bee Keeper of Aleppo and I know it’s an important book but I’m finding it a bit, well the writing is good and then it zones me out. I’ve just finished chapter 3, does it get better?

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Quite a few bangers on the kindle daily deal list today! Piranesi, The Other Black Girl and Early Morning Riser! Bought Early Morning Riser, I've had my eye on it, it sounds really good! I wonder if the daily deals on weekends are better than on weekdays :unsure: just a theory
Thanks, I bought The Other Black Girl and Early Morning Riser. My unread books on the Kindle is now 167. I need to step away from this thread.

• Wow
I read Birdbox earlier in the year so I was really pleased when I caught the sequel - Malorie - on kindle for 99p.

I have just finished it and thought it was really good! It felt really easy to get back into the storyline and I felt like the ending was perfect.

Housework Fairy

Audible have a 2 for 1 sale and some good books on that. Last House On Needless Street, Lies I told by Harriet Tyce, Man Called Ove.
ooh thanks for the Audible sale alert - For less than £19 I have now completed my "Chronicles of St Mary's" collection by Jodi Taylor and now own all 12 (book 13 is being released next year I think). The narrator on this (Jodi Ramm) is brilliant - her voice really holds my attention.

I've just finished two celeb autobiographies on the run "Love and Fury" by Paris Fury and "Harvey and Me" by Katie Price (not really a fan, more of a celebrity gossip junkie". I paid full price for both and neither was worth it - I wish I'd have displayed more patience and hung on until they are inevitably reduced to 99p in a future Kindle Monthly sale.

I'm now reading Book 12 of the above mentioned St Mary's Collection. I borrowed the first 5 books from the Library so I think when I get paid I will buy the first five book on Kindle so I've got them all.

Looking back at my Good Reads for this year (managed 32 so far), the books I have actually loved are..
- Mrs England by Stacey Halls (historical fiction)
- Spring Posy / Autun Posy / Spring Posy - by Michelle Vernals a time slip mystery / fun & easy read
- The End of Men by Christina Sweeney-Baird
- Girl One - Sarah Flannery-Murphy
- The recovery of Rose Gold - Stephanie Wroebel
- Little Bones by N V Peacock
- Girl A by Abigail Dean

Anonymous_Troll

Hi all, I contributed to this lovely little community in the first couple of threads and got so many good recommendations from you all! Excited to get stuck back in again but before I catch up, I had to come straight here and ask… has anybody read True Crime Story by Joseph Knox? I’ve just finished it and I NEED to discuss it!! Honestly feel bereft it’s finished - I was so involved! Highly recommend!

Scullybob

VIP Member
I've just finished Stolen by Tess Simson, it really hooked me in and I didn't see the ending coming. I loved it, thanks for the recommendation 😀 I've also read the White Queen and The Red Queen, both by Philippa Gregory, I've had them stashed in my reading list for ages. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with a Philippa Gregory book, she's such a great writer. I'm currently reading The Push by Ashley Audrain and I'm loving it, it's incredibly moving but very dark at times. My next book is going to be Moths by Jane Hennington.

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I finished Stolen in one sitting. I really liked it, I can't do spoilers on my phone so will come back and say more when others have finished. I had never heard of Tess Stimson before, another of her books is on Kindle Unlimited so I am going to read that tomorrow I think.

You have a 100% success rate with recommendations for me @Oohthedrama ! The pressure is on ;)

Last edited:

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
@Caffeine Fiend thanks again for the Audible heads up, I’m loving it! Don’t know why I’ve not signed up sooner.

Last night I finished reading The Street Party. It was really boring.

Today I’ve finished listening to When You Disappeared by John Marr. I’d already bought it to read and it turned out to have audio format too, as have two others I’ve already purchased.

I don’t think I’ve disliked a character more than Simon Nicholson! I don’t know if I felt more invested because it was being read to me as opposed to me reading it myself

I found it quite easy to have two books on the go when it’s reading one and listening to the other, although not at the exact same time of course!
AND THE LIBRARY!!!!!!!! GO USE THE LIBRARY AUDIOBOOKS!!!!

my library apps are more important to me than most family members 😂

I can have 2 audiobooks and one physical book on the go now 😍 I just watch and listen to nothing else 😂 but I can listen at 1.75 now and I ADORE IT!!!

im trying to listen to books I would never read normally. So it’s a different experience to reading just for enjoyment in a way.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I enjoyed The Last Mrs Parrish.

I am reading Les Miserables as part of an Insta read-a-long. Need to find a few quick easy reads to read alongside it. Still limited to the Kindle and am missing a real parish book so, so much now.

• Sad

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I am not keen on super long chapters. But you know what I really dislike? Chapters that flip back and forth between present day and the past. One of the worst books I tried to read was The Time Traveler's Wife.
I really disliked The Time Traveller’s Wife. I had a friend at the time who said it was her all time favourite book and she would reread it several times a year and she made me read it. I stopped taking her recommendations after it, I absolutely hated it. And the film too!

• Haha
I’ve only re-read a couple of books ever but recently I started reading Pilgrim by Terry Hayes again and just finished this wkend.
Amazing! Still waiting for his next book 10 years later 😂

Just started reading T.R Ragan - Count to three, not sure if I’m enjoying it. Well written but maybe a bit boring

Cady1954

VIP Member
Im a bit peed off actually. Since Brexit I cant download my books from Amazon Uk I have to use the US site. I don't live in the UK just to clarify things.

• Sad
New Richard osman! How he keeps doing this I don’t know and I NEVER like hyped books! How has he created this world! Slightly scared that he’s already sorted number 3 so like is it gonna be as good? Is this just for the money…. Feel really conflicted lol
Weird question but is it actually Richard writing them? Is there a ghostwriter?

Same question for georgia toffolo lol

I noticed one of my wish list books were 99p so that’s been added to the TBR pile 😵💫
We were never here - Andrea Bartz for anyone else interested.

I really really want to try to avoid buying anymore but I don’t think I’m strong enough to avoid it! I have my physical TBR pile I haven’t touched since buying my kindle in Feb.

I started a new book today from the Amazon prime selection. I’m still to pick my first reads but I think it will be along the lines of everyone else’s choices.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I’m middle ground, I like a new chapter for a new scene/setting.
But I hate ones that are 5 pages long and also ones that are 55 pages long.

I think an author needs to learn how long a scene should be before it gets boring and repetitive, that’s the making of a good book for me. 😬