Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't stand it when that happens on Kindle, I actually wrote to Avon Books and complained about it. They responded and wrote a long message about Kindle clicks = more money or something. It is so annoying, I would cosy down and think I have 20% of a book to go but no, it is over without a proper goodbye.
Yes that's exactly how I felt! The book was Expectations by Anna Hope which was quite an emotional read for me. Was all tucked up on the sofa with snacks and before I knew it, I was onto the sodding Acknowledgements page. It's made me feel a bit put out that's how my journey ended with that book.

Reactions: 2
Borrowed Nicolas Sparks The Wish after seeing so many good reviews about it,

and Lucy Clarke No Escape, I went for this one on audiobook, mostly to try and get back into them and also because I enjoyed the castaways but don’t want to commit to physically reading it 😂

Just finished Kate Summerscale's The Haunting of Alma Fielding. I can see why it got average reviews on Goodreads as it's more of an academic paper than a novel, but I didn't mind it, I like anything paranormal.

I'm slogging my way through Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. About 20 years ago my favourite teacher told me I should read it and I've never got around to it and always felt intimidated by it. I'm loving the descriptive writing, but the dialogue is slowing me down.

I'm about half way through Joanna Nadin's The Talk of Pram Town and really enjoying it. I don't normally like books narrated (or partly, in this case) by children/teens but this one's very authentic.

I’m ready to read festive/Christmas books, I know there’s been some mentioned but I also don’t have the energy to scroll through to find them partly because i’ll end up adding other books to my list and only want Christmas ones 😂 hit me with your best please

Have any of you read any of the ones in this pic?
0C495E2C-81C3-494F-9292-2A5604FD40AC.png

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I finished We Were Never Herelast night, it was okay? I found it very slow to begin with and it did pick up as it went along but it was all a bit daft really.

I've then started The Hearts Invisible Furies but I may need to come back to it because I've got to finish 2 more books before Christmas and I'm worried I'll drag my feet with this one 😂

Reactions: 3
I finished We Were Never Herelast night, it was okay? I found it very slow to begin with and it did pick up as it went along but it was all a bit daft really.

I've then started The Hearts Invisible Furies but I may need to come back to it because I've got to finish 2 more books before Christmas and I'm worried I'll drag my feet with this one 😂
ahh definitely take your time to enjoy this. Its one of my my favourite books! Wish i didn’t read it so quickly😂

I’m ready to read festive/Christmas books, I know there’s been some mentioned but I also don’t have the energy to scroll through to find them partly because i’ll end up adding other books to my list and only want Christmas ones 😂 hit me with your best please

Have any of you read any of the ones in this pic?View attachment 854391
I’ve read The Twelve Dates of Christmas. I loved it but the chapters were loooong.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone got any recommendations for Christmas books that aren’t romance/chick lit type of books? I enjoy thrillers, mysteries and anything that keeps me guessing but I want to inject some Christmas-ness in there!

Have any of you read any of the ones in this pic?View attachment 854391
honestly, keep away from this shite 😂 they’re all awful, I swear Susan Mallory gave me high blood pressure her latest Christmas book was soooooooooo bad.

Karen Swan, Sarah Morgan,
I didn’t like swans book last year, but Christmas in the snow/under the stars/the perfect present/at Tiffany’s are very good.
As is the Christmas sisters from Morgan!

I wish it could be Christmas everyday by Milly Johnson was also good

• Haha
  • Heart
Has anyone got any recommendations for Christmas books that aren’t romance/chick lit type of books? I enjoy thrillers, mysteries and anything that keeps me guessing but I want to inject some Christmas-ness in there!
It's definitely harder to fine in genres other than women's fiction or romance!

https://shop.bl.uk/collections/crime-classics Some of the British Library Crime Classics are set at Christmas. They're all re-prints from the 'golden age' of mystery in the 20th C.

Amazon doing 3 months of Audible for 99p as a Black Friday offer. Must be a completely new customer. Pretty good offer just cancel after the 3 months.

• Heart
honestly, keep away from this shite 😂 they’re all awful, I swear Susan Mallory gave me high blood pressure her latest Christmas book was soooooooooo bad.

Karen Swan, Sarah Morgan,
I didn’t like swans book last year, but Christmas in the snow/under the stars/the perfect present/at Tiffany’s are very good.
As is the Christmas sisters from Morgan!

I wish it could be Christmas everyday by Milly Johnson was also good
Thank you! I’ll take a look at the Sarah Morgan and Karen Swan ones! I’ve bought I wish it could be Christmas everyday already! 🥰😀

Amazon doing 3 months of Audible for 99p as a Black Friday offer. Must be a completely new customer. Pretty good offer just cancel after the 3 months.
Brilliant, thanks for this! Have just signed up. Now to decide…

Brilliant, thanks for this! Have just signed up. Now to decide…
Youl more than likely get a few 2 for 1 sales and £3 sales while youre a member. The £3 sales are fab imo.

Quite a lot of good books on this weeks 2 for 1 so you can get 2 for 1 credit.

• Heart
Tammy Cohen - Dying for Christmas

Honestly bought this on a whim years ago and it's amazing if you like thrillers

I saw one of my favourite bookgram people recommend this as a Christmassy feel read. Isnt chick lit but isnt advertised as a Christmas book.

Patti Callahan - Once Upon A Wardrobe.

Currently reading
It started with a tweet by Anna bell (meh)
And a state of emergency by Richard Chambers.

but just got Lindsey Kelks new book, Sophie Kinsella’s new book and Philipa Ashley’s new Christmas book for the weekend!

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.