Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finished "We Were Liars" this evening. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys a mystery or a story told from the perspective of an unreliable narrator whose memory is pieced together throughout the book. Although it was at times a bit confusing as it hops from past - present without informing the reader of such.

Reactions: 3
Everyone loves Lisa Jewell, I just can’t get into any of her work 🙈
I’ve put off reading the family upstairs. I always dislike over hyped books so I’m like why bother 😂 although with the summer coming up I’m sure I’ll mange you get round to it

Reactions: 4
I finished Hamnet in the garden today. I just didn’t love it. I really wanted to but I just didn’t.

Not sure what to read next.

Finished "We Were Liars" this evening. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys a mystery or a story told from the perspective of an unreliable narrator whose memory is pieced together throughout the book. Although it was at times a bit confusing as it hops from past - present without informing the reader of such.
I read that one last year. I think it took me a while to get into if I remember rightly but once it got going I was completely pulled in and the twist totally shocked me.

Reactions: 2
I read that one last year. I think it took me a while to get into if I remember rightly but once it got going I was completely pulled in and the twist totally shocked me.
Yes it did take me by surprise and I almost think the confusion as to whether the story is narrated in past / present time helps with that.

It took me a while to get into it as well but it's not overly long so I stuck with it and glad I did until the end.

Reactions: 1
I ended up borrowing it from my library. I couldn't find it cheap anywhere.

It is a good book, but not worth 12.50.

Waterstones or WH Smith, both seem to have it for less than £8. Or try ebay for a second hand copy?
Ahhh they’re releasing a new version in September that will be cheaper! Might just wait for that then, thanks - my library don’t have it :(

World of books too!
They’re the same price sadly but they’ve got a few books I was after cheap anyway! Thanks, I’ll be spending too much money there 😅

I adored Anne of Green Gables as a child. It’s the first series of books I remember reading. Last year I got a beautiful hardback copy of it but haven’t reread it yet 😊

I really liked The Kiss Quotient too!
Have you read The Hating Game? You might enjoy that too.
I loved Normal People but I think most people on here hated it 😂
Got The Hating Game ready next!

I adored Anne of Green Gables as a child. It’s the first series of books I remember reading. Last year I got a beautiful hardback copy of it but haven’t reread it yet 😊

I really liked The Kiss Quotient too!
Have you read The Hating Game? You might enjoy that too.
I loved Normal People but I think most people on here hated it 😂
I really liked Normal People too.

Lisa Jewell's earlier books were so much better. I don't think her move to a more thriller type book has been the best move for her IMO. Ralph's Party is still her best.
I finished People Like Her today and oh my word I thought it was so good. Read it in a few days!
Now onto The Thursday Murder Club! I'm so behind on the popular reads on here! 😆

I’ve put off reading the family upstairs. I always dislike over hyped books so I’m like why bother 😂 although with the summer coming up I’m sure I’ll mange you get round to it
Lisa Jewell's earlier books were so much better. I don't think her move to a more thriller type book has been the best move for her IMO. Ralph's Party is still her best.
totally feel this, I did actually like a lot of her earlier books, I just don’t think she’s a good triller author, any time I’ve read one Ive wished I hadn’t bothered.

just finished Jane Fallon’s strictly between us, I thought I’d read all her books but apparently not, it was a 2016 release date, I enjoyed it 😂 hated ever single character, including the poor wife who was the “victim“
they all deserved each other 😆 it was an enjoyable easy read though.

currently about to start my 100th book of the year! Very excited to see what else you lovely individuals recommend

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
currentl about to start my 100th book of the year! Very excited to see what else you lovely individuals recommend
well done!!!!!!!!!!!
is it bad after years of reading I still don’t count or remember to log them into good reads 😂 I really should 😂 I’m just so lazy with it.
i read a shocking low amount last year, months went by and I was reading nothing and I’m only realising now how much it effected me negatively.

let’s throw in an annoying gif 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Congrats @Lola123 Super impressive. Plus it’s only July!

I am well behind you 😅 possibly still in the teens I think? Not ideal. Like @Oohthedrama I definitely am happier when I’m reading more!

At the moment I’m reading a book on the history of personal ads called Matrimony Inc by Francesca Beauman. Its a fun read and not too long or stuffy and academic.

well done!!!!!!!!!!!
is it bad after years of reading I still don’t count or remember to log them into good reads 😂 I really should 😂 I’m just so lazy with it.
i read a shocking low amount last year, months went by and I was reading nothing and I’m only realising now how much it effected me negatively.

I never count them either, the only way I know is that my Kindle is linked to my Goodreads so any time I finish a book and rate it it counts as read on Goodreads.

well done!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so old skool, 'cos I write what I've read in the back of my paper diary! 😂
I'm on my 21st book of the year, so that's an average of three a month!

• Heart
@Lola123 Well Done on the 100!! Im at 30ish for the year and proud of myself 😂

As a child and teenager I was an avid reader, Im convinced the reason I need glasses now is because Id strain to read in my room at night using the hall light only and must have wrecked my eyes. Once I started uni I just found no time to read really then I had my eldest child quite young and really struggled to find the time or be alert enough to read.

I got back to read when on maternity leave with my 2nd and used to read a lot on the night feeds but again once I went back to work juggling 2 kids had no time.

NYE last year I was thoroughly depressed and felt Id scrolled and eaten for 9 months. My phone stats were appalling. So I told myself I needed to scroll less and read more. Ive shocked even myself to be honest and really stuck to it.

Ive listening to In Control by Jane Monkton-Smith on Audible atm. Its a non fiction book about domestic violence / controlling behaviour. I much prefer non fiction for audio books.

Also started Queenie on kindle. Ive got some annual leave this week so I should make a dent in both!

Edit - cant remember who mentioned Thursday Murder Club. I bought it back in January and still havent started it. I havent heard any good reviews of it and its putting me off :(

I really enjoyed the Thursday murder club. It’s not exactly a challenging read but a good bit of escapism.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.