Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got to where V was born. Everyone I know loves it but i just couldn't lose myself in the book.
Oh you need to keep going to get to where it gets really good. However saying that, I do feel like if a book doesn’t grab you in within a couple of chapters then it’s not for you so maybe The Push isn’t your book, and that’s ok!

Reactions: 3
Just finished The Kiss Quotient - actually really enjoyed it! Now on to Normal People as my next fiction read (my current non-fiction read is Alan Duncan's diaries - so dry!!!)
I recently read The Kiss Quotient too! Was suprised at how much I enjoyed it as wasn't sure if I would. Not sure I will read the next 2 though as they are about the other characters - Michael's brother and cousin I think.

Reactions: 1
I finished the girl with the louding voice today in the sunshine (it was so good I loved Adduni but god it made me cry at times!) I’m now reading last night by mhairi McFarlane- anyone else read it?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Perhaps too childish for most but very nostalgic for me, I’ve been reading the Anne of green gables series and absolutely loving it just as much as I did when I was a kid.
I adored Anne of Green Gables as a child. It’s the first series of books I remember reading. Last year I got a beautiful hardback copy of it but haven’t reread it yet 😊

Just finished The Kiss Quotient - actually really enjoyed it! Now on to Normal People as my next fiction read (my current non-fiction read is Alan Duncan's diaries - so dry!!!)
I really liked The Kiss Quotient too!
Have you read The Hating Game? You might enjoy that too.
I loved Normal People but I think most people on here hated it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m now reading last night by mhairi McFarlane- anyone else read it?
yep, I liked it, her style is improving so much with every book, I kinda liked if I never met you but I thought it gave up on its own plot towards the end and rushed a half hearted silly ending, she’s wrapped this one up better. ♥

Reactions: 2
I really liked The Push and I see people here saying that they never suspected the ending and kept suspecting different characters but I didn't get the twist. I think I was hoping for more.

I really liked The Push and I see people here saying that they never suspected the ending and kept suspecting different characters but I didn't get the twist. I think I was hoping for more.
To elaborate. It seemed like a lazy narrative to assume that because Blythe's mother and grandmother were abusive (running in the female line) that it would then cast doubt on her narrative and what she was experiencing with her daughter. To me she didn't seem so similar to her mother and grandmother in how she raised her child and there was not enough alternate narrative to cast enough doubt. It was clear to me that Violet did have some tendencies towards violence and any alternate view or doubt was weak because we did not see it from other people's perspectives. It takes the view that because you were abused you are automatically assumed to almost be the abuser to your child which is at best a lazy assumption and at worst quite damaging.

I really liked The Push and I see people here saying that they never suspected the ending and kept suspecting different characters but I didn't get the twist. I think I was hoping for more. Spoiler alert...
To elaborate. It seemed like a lazy narrative to assume that because Blythe's mother and grandmother were abusive (running in the female line) that it would then cast doubt on her narrative and what she was experiencing with her daughter. To me she didn't seem so similar to her mother and grandmother in how she raised her child and there was not enough alternate narrative to cast enough doubt. It was clear to me that Violet did have some tendencies towards violence and any alternate view or doubt was weak because we did not see it from other people's perspectives. It takes the view that because you were abused you are automatically assumed to almost be the abuser to your child which is at best a lazy assumption and at worst quite damaging.

I really liked The Push and I see people here saying that they never suspected the ending and kept suspecting different characters but I didn't get the twist. I think I was hoping for more. Spoiler alert.

Last edited:

I see what youre saying, I think my thoughts were more along the lines of Blyth was imagining these things rather than her being abusive, if you know what I mean. I think too because I tend to mostly read thrillers I tend to speculate what the twist may be. There wasnt one of course but it didnt spoil the book for me. I didnt think Blyth came across abusive at all however when she started stalking Gemma I thought hmm maybe there will be a twist.

I finally finished American Dirt! Im not quite sure how I feel about it yet. The beginning started out really strong and I was hooked but I wasnt rushing to listen to a chunk in the middle. I would be interested in listening to a non fiction book about migrants crossing the US border if anyone has any recommendations? I have 2 audible credits!

@Caffeine Fiend Have you read any of the controvery around American Dirt? I had been meaning to pick it up, but then read some stuff and now am not sure. Would love to know your thoughts! https://www.vulture.com/article/american-dirt-book-controversy-explained.html
Yes unfortunately I had already purchased it on audible when I found this out :(

I dont know enough about it to comment to be honest. The author herself does reference it in the afterword on the audio book.

Knowing now though I probably wouldnt buy a copy if possible and if you do want to read it maybe borrow a friends or get it from the library.

Yes unfortunately I had already purchased it on audible when I found this out :(

I dont know enough about it to comment to be honest. The author herself does reference it in the afterword on the audio book.

Knowing now though I probably wouldnt buy a copy if possible and if you do want to read it maybe borrow a friends or get it from the library.
Yes am thinking I might borrow from my library. It feels like a story worth telling, which is probably why American Dirt has been so successful. I'm keen to hear if anyone has suggestions for you about other books on crossing the border!

I finished the girl with the louding voice today in the sunshine (it was so good I loved Adduni but god it made me cry at times!) I’m now reading last night by mhairi McFarlane- anyone else read it?
This is on my list. Loved Last Night, totally wasn’t what I was expecting

I see what youre saying, I think my thoughts were more along the lines of Blyth was imagining these things rather than her being abusive, if you know what I mean. I think too because I tend to mostly read thrillers I tend to speculate what the twist may be. There wasnt one of course but it didnt spoil the book for me. I didnt think Blyth came across abusive at all however when she started stalking Gemma I thought hmm maybe there will be a twist.

I finally finished American Dirt! Im not quite sure how I feel about it yet. The beginning started out really strong and I was hooked but I wasnt rushing to listen to a chunk in the middle. I would be interested in listening to a non fiction book about migrants crossing the US border if anyone has any recommendations? I have 2 audible credits!
I agree, I don't think she came across as abusive, but I definitely think the previous generational abuse is meant to imply Blythe would have trouble bonding with her own daughter and is used as a reason to cast doubt on Blythe's perceptions. I found that it was the only thing that was meant to imply doubt, and we never experienced Violet or Blythe's behaviour from other characters' perspectives, which I think could have made it more believable.

Last edited:
Just seen there’s a sequel to The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell coming out on Wednesday!

I can’t even remember much about the first one but I remember enjoying it

Reactions: 5
Just seen there’s a sequel to The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell coming out on Wednesday!

I can’t even remember much about the first one but I remember enjoying it
I recently read the Family Upstairs and I was so annoyed by the inaccuracies about how the solicitors acted (I am a Wills and Probate lawyer). Seriously they would have been sued for professional negligence.

• Haha
I’ve been after reading ‘The House in the Cerulean Sea’ by TJ Kline - anyone know where I could pick it up relatively cheap?

Cheapest I can find is £12.50 on Amazon but I can’t justify that on a single paperback and my other usual websites aren’t working out either

I’ve been after reading ‘The House in the Cerulean Sea’ by TJ Kline - anyone know where I could pick it up relatively cheap?

Cheapest I can find is £12.50 on Amazon but I can’t justify that on a single paperback and my other usual websites aren’t working out either
I ended up borrowing it from my library. I couldn't find it cheap anywhere.

It is a good book, but not worth 12.50.

Waterstones or WH Smith, both seem to have it for less than £8. Or try ebay for a second hand copy?

World of books too!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.