Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finished The Marriage a few days ago. It didn't go the way I thought it was going but was good to be surprised. Overall a good read that kept my interest throughout.

Reading On Cold Ground now by DS Butler - it's the 5th book in the Detective Karen Hart series. Finding it an enjoyable series that I've been liking picking up in between other reads.

Reactions: 1
Finished The Marriage a few days ago. It didn't go the way I thought it was going but was good to be surprised. Overall a good read that kept my interest throughout.

Reading On Cold Ground now by DS Butler - it's the 5th book in the Detective Karen Hart series. Finding it an enjoyable series that I've been liking picking up in between other reads.
Ooh, didn’t know there was now a 5th book on this series. I’ve not long read the third book. I enjoy it as it’s set in my home town, so like to hear the author talk in detail about the area.

Reactions: 3
Have recently got back into reading so I thought I’d join the discussion. I’ve just finished the Thursday murder club by Richard osman. honestly thought it was awful! didnt enjoy it and found it hard to stay interested in.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Have recently got back into reading so I thought I’d join the discussion. I’ve just finished the Thursday murder club by Richard osman. honestly thought it was awful! didnt enjoy it and found it hard to stay interested in.
Ooo I liked it but it was a slow builder and I had it via audible so that helped for sure, I’ve even preordered the second one 😂

I’ve been after reading ‘The House in the Cerulean Sea’ by TJ Kline - anyone know where I could pick it up relatively cheap?

Cheapest I can find is £12.50 on Amazon but I can’t justify that on a single paperback and my other usual websites aren’t working out either
Can you pick it up on Kindle and read it through the app?

this is where i come to write down all your book suggestions, and I am not disappointed.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
For my 100th book of the year I read on the come up by Angie Thomas. It was not good, I can see it’s merits but maybe I’m just too old for it, so disappointing because he hate you give was such an excellent book!

Reactions: 2
I usually try read 120 books a year (goodreads book challenge helps me keep count and to remember what I’ve read since my memory is tit!) but ever since the pandemic started I’ve been on a go slow, and reading is my 1# hobby, it’s gutting, my brain is in some kind of survival mode/daze. Think I’m on book 39 right now or something.

Im excited for razor blade tears! Looks awesome. Just finished reading The Death of Vivek Oji and omg, my heart, so many emotions. I’d recommend 100%.

Love a good YA book and I just finished Cell 7 by Kerry Drewery and it was SO good

The story itself was somewhat predictable and I even spoiled it for myself a while ago so I was hesitant to pick it up, but there's something about the way the author writes that makes it enjoyable despite all that. I also really enjoyed the discourse around the law, media and public opinions/morals. I think someone before mentioned a book that turned court trials into a 'show' and this is basically it, but there's also the added effect of the judiciary being taken away completely and the public being in control

Not too sure if to continue with the series though but I'm tempted

All my last couple of books have been 2* honestly need something good to be next or else I’m giving up 😂😂 any suggestions would be lovely, I’ve got loads to read on kindle so if it’s been on a 99p deal in the last year I’ve probably got it

I'm reading Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase at the moment, it's 99p on Kindle. Similar vibe to Kate Morton's books. An easy read, got into it pretty quickly and it's got me intrigued about how it will end!

Amazon product

Love a good YA book and I just finished Cell 7 by Kerry Drewery and it was SO good

The story itself was somewhat predictable and I even spoiled it for myself a while ago so I was hesitant to pick it up, but there's something about the way the author writes that makes it enjoyable despite all that. I also really enjoyed the discourse around the law, media and public opinions/morals. I think someone before mentioned a book that turned court trials into a 'show' and this is basically it, but there's also the added effect of the judiciary being taken away completely and the public being in control

Not too sure if to continue with the series though but I'm tempted
Ooh this sounds intriguing thank you. I also love a good YA book - me and a 16 year old relative of mine often get into huge discussions about books we’ve both read despite me being more than double her age.

I’m 32% of the way through The Six Guests and I really don’t know if I’m going to read more. It’s just not grabbed me in at all, I don’t care about any of the characters, there seems to be so much filler which I’m assuming/hoping pays off as it goes on. I’ve not given up on a book this year but I’m so close!!

Reactions: 4
All my last couple of books have been 2* honestly need something good to be next or else I’m giving up 😂😂 any suggestions would be lovely, I’ve got loads to read on kindle so if it’s been on a 99p deal in the last year I’ve probably got it
I recently read Haven’t They Grown by Sophie Hannah and I thought it was quite good - I don’t usually read that kind of thriller/mystery novel but enjoyed it. I think I bought it when it was 99p on Kindle so it might be one you have?

Edited to add: the Amazon reviews are very mixed and I will admit you’ll probably need to suspend your disbelief but if you can do that, it’s a good read.

Reactions: 3
I'm reading Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase at the moment, it's 99p on Kindle. Similar vibe to Kate Morton's books. An easy read, got into it pretty quickly and it's got me intrigued about how it will end!

Amazon product
I've been scoping that for kindle and now I'm off to buy it, thank you

Ooh this sounds intriguing thank you. I also love a good YA book - me and a 16 year old relative of mine often get into huge discussions about books we’ve both read despite me being more than double her age.

I’m 32% of the way through The Six Guests and I really don’t know if I’m going to read more. It’s just not grabbed me in at all, I don’t care about any of the characters, there seems to be so much filler which I’m assuming/hoping pays off as it goes on. I’ve not given up on a book this year but I’m so close!!
I'm 11% in and I'm not sure whether it is me or the book that is putting me off.... I'm gutted as I saw this on a facebook ad and it sounded good

Has anyone read the Caraval series? I’m just about to start the first one. I don’t usually read fantasy but I fancied a bit of escapism after a few heavy reads.

I finished Fifty Fifty last night and enjoyed that. I gave it 4/5, it lost a point because… the ending was a bit predictable

Has anyone read the Caraval series? I’m just about to start the first one. I don’t usually read fantasy but I fancied a bit of escapism after a few heavy reads.
I feel like I’ve read the first one. The synopsis feels so familiar and I recognise the name (as I’m sure I kept saying carnival in my head as I read it) but I don’t recognise any of the covers online. I think I remember parts of the story and that I enjoyed it but it wasn’t a 5/5 - if my memory is correct.

Absolutely terrible review there, apologies but it’s all my brain can manage today after isolation for a full week with a 2 year (2nd time in 3 weeks) and have now just had to take him for a test as he started coughing and is loaded with what I’m hoping is just cold…2 days before his birthday party at the weekend! Need every bit of good luck sent this way please not only for a negative test but that it arrives within 24 hours so we can confirm his party and the poor little guy doesn’t have to miss out anymore! 🤞🏻

• Sad
I have read the first and second and really enjoyed them!

I have the third, finale, but haven't read it yet.

For me it is an odd series, it is one that I have to convince myself to read the next book but when I do I love it! So I don't know why I am so reluctant to read them.

The concept is different to anything else I have read. And the style of writing is very different to my normal reads (thrillers or YA)

ETA I would probably read the first one and if you don't get on with it don't worry about the rest of the series. The first book works OK as a standalone.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.