Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Daisy Jones and The Six, The Silent Patient and People Like Her are all 99p on Kindle at the moment if anyone hasn’t read them.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Blood Orange and Daisy Jones & The Six are on kindle 99p daily deals today. I enjoyed both.

Although everyone says Daisy is better on audio.

Daisy Jones and The Six, The Silent Patient and People Like Her are all 99p on Kindle at the moment if anyone hasn’t read them.
Your comment hadn't shown for me before I posted. 😂

Just noticed Summerwater is also 99p I enjoyed this too but was a slow burner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Won’t lie, finished away with the penguins, can see why everyone loved it, for me, not worth the hype 3*
Also I did not rate daisy jones, it’s put me off TJR altogether, I am yet to be convinced otherwise

Think someone on here recommended Roanoake Girls before, I’m reading it now and enjoying it so far

Just finished off 'The Betrayals' last night, and as I suspected I would, I loved it! I'd give it a 4.5/5, only docking the .5 for the very end. My second Bridget Collins book, and both were stunning. Definitely will be jumping on anything else she publishes for adults! Anyone else tried this book, or perhaps 'The Binding' by Collins? Would love to know your thoughts!

Now onto finishing my current library read so I can return that, then I think I'll start 'The Master and Margarita', which I'm excited but also nervous about. My last Russian classic was Crime and Punishment, it had such a dreary atmosphere (which I understood the need for - I still enjoyed parts of the book) and took me ages to finish - hoping not to get a repeat of that

Reactions: 4
My kindle is fully charged and ready for my break. I've downloaded a few more Amazon Prime short stories.

I should be finishing off my current book tonight so I can start my amazon first reads choice - Constance when we arrive at the seaside tomorrow :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just finished off 'The Betrayals' last night, and as I suspected I would, I loved it! I'd give it a 4.5/5, only docking the .5 for the very end. My second Bridget Collins book, and both were stunning. Definitely will be jumping on anything else she publishes for adults! Anyone else tried this book, or perhaps 'The Binding' by Collins? Would love to know your thoughts!
I absolutely loved 'The Binding'! Fantastic, I did always hope for a sequel so I hope that happens. I remember it being fairly open ended? The characters were all great and the story was super well done.

'The betrayals' has beenon my list for ages now, really want to pick it up!

Reactions: 2
My kindle is fully charged and ready for my break. I've downloaded a few more Amazon Prime short stories.

I should be finishing off my current book tonight so I can start my amazon first reads choice - Constance when we arrive at the seaside tomorrow :love:
I got Constance, it looks good. Was shocked to get Swan Song by Robert Mccammon free on Prime. I have it on paperback its one of my faves ever.
Coming to a pound shop soon has got to be a book the daily Mail is plugging "from rags to ricky" by Sid Owen 🤣

Reactions: 1
Has anyone read The Paris Connection? Saw an ad for it on Kindle, and given I'm moving to France soon, I'm loving all things French right now!
oh my goodness what an adventure!!! looking forward to reading about the process here if you can fit tattl and reading in between all this! ❤

welcome @Milfordcubicle 😌😌😌😌 we‘re a nice lot here, legand has it we all get on and there’s no arguing 😂 ❤

loved An American Marriage but did give up on Silver Sparrow by the same author
silver sparrow was a struggle. I read it after it was mentioned here by someone, long after an American Marriage and I totally agree ❤

ok gonna start the new hilderbrand. 🤦‍♀️ @whathastheworldcometo 😂 did it. 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Within 5 minutes of waking this morning I’d bought three new books. Good start to the day I think.

Every Mother’s Son by Alex Smith (the 7th in the DCI Kett series)
That Night by Gillian McAllister
When She Was Good by Michael Robotham

But first, I have 45 mins left of The Guilty Husband, which I’ve been a bit slow with. People aren’t eating tea tonight until I’ve finished it though!

Reactions: 6
I absolutely loved 'The Binding'! Fantastic, I did always hope for a sequel so I hope that happens. I remember it being fairly open ended? The characters were all great and the story was super well done.

'The betrayals' has beenon my list for ages now, really want to pick it up!
Yes, same! I really want more out of that world, the whole concept of binding was so good. Pick up The Betrayals, you won't regret it!! Such a transportive book with an enchanting atmosphere, just like The Binding

God bless the weird phone stalkers. A book I had on my wishlist on Amazon has just show up on a fb ad telling me it was 99p. :D

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I heard an interview on the radio yesterday with Deborah Moggach, the Author of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. For women (and men!) of a certain age, her new novel sounds very entertaining: The Black Dress.

Reactions: 2
This year I’ve discovered books about book recommendations, because apparently my tbr list isn’t long enough 🥴 Cathy Rentzenbrink is to blame - her autobiography Dear Reader, which is centred around reading, started me off. Read a couple more since and accidentally took out The Novel Cure from the library yesterday. It’s formatted like a medical handbook and offers recommendations for every affliction, from real health issues like haemorrhoids to problems like “being in the wrong career”. I’ve been flipping through it to random pages but it’s so interesting I’m going to read it cover to cover. The summaries are pretty detailed so it’s easy to get a feel for whether you’ll actually enjoy the book.

I don’t keep many books I’ve read these days but I might buy a copy for future reference.

Now onto finishing my current library read so I can return that, then I think I'll start 'The Master and Margarita', which I'm excited but also nervous about. My last Russian classic was Crime and Punishment, it had such a dreary atmosphere (which I understood the need for - I still enjoyed parts of the book) and took me ages to finish - hoping not to get a repeat of that
The Master and Margarita is brilliant! I read it as a teenager and loved it, despite being absolutely not the type to enjoy Russian classics. I’ve never read Crime and Punishment but did manage Notes from Underground so I can understand what you mean about the writing being difficult albeit enjoyable in places. The Master and Margarita is nothing like that so hopefully you will like it. The Novel Cure recommends it for “being a goody goody” if that’s an issue you have 😂

• Heart
This year I’ve discovered books about book recommendations, because apparently my tbr list isn’t long enough 🥴 Cathy Rentzenbrink is to blame - her autobiography Dear Reader, which is centred around reading, started me off. Read a couple more since and accidentally took out The Novel Cure from the library yesterday. It’s formatted like a medical handbook and offers recommendations for every affliction, from real health issues like haemorrhoids to problems like “being in the wrong career”. I’ve been flipping through it to random pages but it’s so interesting I’m going to read it cover to cover. The summaries are pretty detailed so it’s easy to get a feel for whether you’ll actually enjoy the book.

I don’t keep many books I’ve read these days but I might buy a copy for future reference.

The Master and Margarita is brilliant! I read it as a teenager and loved it, despite being absolutely not the type to enjoy Russian classics. I’ve never read Crime and Punishment but did manage Notes from Underground so I can understand what you mean about the writing being difficult albeit enjoyable in places. The Master and Margarita is nothing like that so hopefully you will like it. The Novel Cure recommends it for “being a goody goody” if that’s an issue you have 😂

Hahaha I can be a bit of a goody goody, so glad to hear I'll be cured of my goody-goody-itis :m Really excited to get started now! Just been dragging my feet a little with this library book, but moving onto The Master and Margarita feels like an exciting incentive now!

Notes from Underground is another I'd like to read this year, but after tasting some Dostoevsky, I think that's going to have to be a winter/autumn read instead. Being dragged into the depths of despair feels more fitting for that time of the year

• Heart
Just noticed Summerwater is also 99p I enjoyed this too but was a slow burner.
I have Summerwater on my tbr pile - I keep meaning to read it but haven’t picked it up yet. That being said, I really like Sarah Moss’ books, especially Bodies of Light and Signs for Lost Children.

Just curious, does everyone have a favourite author? If so, who?

I don’t x

Ive started Hallie Rubenhold - The Five on Audible. I put it on this morning while walking the dog and wow. I am loving it. I have had it on my audible list for a while and have put it off as Im not super keen on historical stuff but I have found is v engaging and interesting. Not boring or stuffy at all. Ill report back as I go on with it.
I enjoyed The Five very much - if enjoyed isn't an inappropriate word for a book about such a sad subject.
I am interested in your reports back as I had a couple of reservations about it now I come to think of it.
But overall very interesting and illuminating about five women who have not been dealt with kindly, either in their lives or in history.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.