Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You should listen to this is going to hurt! Best audiobook ever!
oh I loved this book, I loved his humour. I now want to see what it’s like as an audiobook 🤣
I just found the switch was made to be an audio, I get irritated at the hype around certain authors, Beth O’Leary was one of them and it instantly makes me dislike them 😆 but I’d have rated it higher as an audio because it brings it to life. 😂

Reactions: 7
I've been reading Asian authors this month. So far read Pachinko, The Mountains Sing, Kim Jiyoung Born 1982 and How We Disappeared. Just started A Burning today.

I've liked all the ones I've read so far but felt more of a connection with characters in The Mountains Sing and How We Disappeared. Kim Jiyoung was written in a very different style quite factual but as a feminist made me angry about how women in South Korea still need to choose between family and their job. I really liked Pachinko but felt less connected to the characters as there a quite a few subplots and it spans nearly 100 years.

Reactions: 5
I've been reading Asian authors this month. So far read Pachinko, The Mountains Sing, Kim Jiyoung Born 1982 and How We Disappeared. Just started A Burning today.

I've liked all the ones I've read so far but felt more of a connection with characters in The Mountains Sing and How We Disappeared. Kim Jiyoung was written in a very different style quite factual but as a feminist made me angry about how women in South Korea still need to choose between family and their job. I really liked Pachinko but felt less connected to the characters as there a quite a few subplots and it spans nearly 100 years.
I have to mention this because it's somewhat interesting but also relevant - Paek Nam-nyong's Friend may interest you
It's by a North Korean author and the book was/is a best seller in the country. As I understand it, it's also the only books from North Korea to be translated and published in the West

Reactions: 3

I really liked Kim Jiyoung, not a comfortable read but very good. I’ve recently been reading some Japanese novels and can recommend Before The Coffee Gets Cold and There’s No Such Thing as an Easy Job. They’re both slightly odd and surreal, but very enjoyable.

Finished shuggie Bain (after however long) I’m very surprised it won the Booker prize!

Reactions: 2
Finished shuggie Bain (after however long) I’m very surprised it won the Booker prize!
I attempted to read it but knew pretty early on it wasn’t for me.
went to the reviews on Amazon to see if I was making the right choice and for me this sums it up perfectly.

I ordered this book without reading reviews first and this is written before referring to the views of others, too.

I am a miners daughter who (also) grew up in hard times but this book and the persons portrayed within it are alien to me. The men are pure misogynist wasters and the women door mats to those men, if the author is to be believed. I found my anger growing throughout the book.

It is sad that the heroine is an alcoholic and weakened by her addiction but the manner in which all around her were portrayed; her family; her neighbours; everyone became so overwhelming horrid as to head towards the unbelievable. There was no real explanation of folk trying to help: are we to believe that the fellow AA members, for instance, were not greater in their support? Where was her mentor for instance; I feel sure one is always allocated to help getting by, yet there was no mention.

There are scenes of women fretting over men in this book in ways that are just so 'out there' to be ridiculous. (tearing a dress to reveal no underwear for instance - what rubbish). Other scenes of men; decent once hard working men, no doubt, taking every opportunity to get their leg-over with a near to comatose partner seem close to far fetched. And the rapes...so many bad men in this world it seems; but worse still; no one willing to help.

How can you portray a whole community in such a cruel and vindictive way? It comes over as spiteful and, dare I say, child like though perhaps that was the aim; to be from Shuggie's point of view; he being the one with learning difficulties as well as being gay.

There was no joy in this book and it shames the communities it is meant to portray; and it shames Scotland. I did not like it. The complete bleakness of it all, was too. too much leading to incredulity and a feeling of sensationalising and overstatement.

The even sadder thing is that this book is a prize winner: shame on you Mr Stuart; shame on you.

reading where the grass is green, really enjoying it so far!

I attempted to read it but knew pretty early on it wasn’t for me.
went to the reviews on Amazon to see if I was making the right choice and for me this sums it up perfectly.

I ordered this book without reading reviews first and this is written before referring to the views of others, too.

I am a miners daughter who (also) grew up in hard times but this book and the persons portrayed within it are alien to me. The men are pure misogynist wasters and the women door mats to those men, if the author is to be believed. I found my anger growing throughout the book.

It is sad that the heroine is an alcoholic and weakened by her addiction but the manner in which all around her were portrayed; her family; her neighbours; everyone became so overwhelming horrid as to head towards the unbelievable. There was no real explanation of folk trying to help: are we to believe that the fellow AA members, for instance, were not greater in their support? Where was her mentor for instance; I feel sure one is always allocated to help getting by, yet there was no mention.

There are scenes of women fretting over men in this book in ways that are just so 'out there' to be ridiculous. (tearing a dress to reveal no underwear for instance - what rubbish). Other scenes of men; decent once hard working men, no doubt, taking every opportunity to get their leg-over with a near to comatose partner seem close to far fetched. And the rapes...so many bad men in this world it seems; but worse still; no one willing to help.

How can you portray a whole community in such a cruel and vindictive way? It comes over as spiteful and, dare I say, child like though perhaps that was the aim; to be from Shuggie's point of view; he being the one with learning difficulties as well as being gay.

There was no joy in this book and it shames the communities it is meant to portray; and it shames Scotland. I did not like it. The complete bleakness of it all, was too. too much leading to incredulity and a feeling of sensationalising and overstatement.

The even sadder thing is that this book is a prize winner: shame on you Mr Stuart; shame on you.

reading where the grass is green, really enjoying it so far!
I would disagree with the review but that’s just me. It’s 4* if it wasn’t so long, too much put in! The text layout is terrible but via audible, not too bad

I would disagree with the review but that’s just me. It’s 4* if it wasn’t so long, too much put in! The text layout is terrible but via audible, not too bad
I would also disagree with the review. I was born in a former mining town in Scotland and feel that review is harsh.

The book is bleak, yes but to not believe there arent situations and people like that out there is naive. Douglas Stuart has indicated some of it, is based on his experiences.

Ive actually pre ordered his next book Young Mungo.

I listened to Shuggie Bain via Audible and it was really well read imo. I havent seen the actual book or text.

I'd also disagree with the review of Shuggie Bain too. Didn't grow up in a mining community but very close to the areas fictionalised by Stuart. There were men very much still like that especially in the 1980s. Hell, there are still very much men like that now.

A good accompanying book is Deborah Orr's memoir, Motherwell. I read it not long before reading Shuggie Bain and the two compliment each other well. Damian Barr's memoir Maggie and Me is also supposed to be a good insight into that toxic West Coast masculinity culture.

• Heart
I'd also disagree with the review of Shuggie Bain too. Didn't grow up in a mining community but very close to the areas fictionalised by Stuart. There were men very much still like that especially in the 1980s. Hell, there are still very much men like that now.

A good accompanying book is Deborah Orr's memoir, Motherwell. I read it not long before reading Shuggie Bain and the two compliment each other well. Damian Barr's memoir Maggie and Me is also supposed to be a good insight into that toxic West Coast masculinity culture.
Agreed. We must have home towns near to one another. I still need to read the Deborah Orr book but I bought it for my Dad for Christmas so might ask to borrow it.

If you can read in text which is written in Lanarkshire dialect Id really recommend Graeme Armstrongs The Young Team. I found it quite a powerful read.

The fact that in Britain 1 in 4 women experience rape or a serious sexual assault in their lifetime makes me think that yes a lot of men *are* like that. Sadly.

Edit - on a similar note. Ive just started Poverty Safari by Darren McGarvey on audible who also grew up in the west coast of Scotland.

its been interesting so far

Last edited:
I seem to have a special wish list credit on Kindle - but it only seems to be working on certain books? Confused

Reactions: 1
Oh now this is interesting!!!!
I took it as true (that review) and it did influence my feelings, and ultimately I just gave up on the book as we weren’t gelling, I wasn’t feeling it was authentic.

Love the fact others from the area can dispute it as I took it as fact that the narrative was just a stretch of the stereotypical view of that industry.

I’ve read 96% of The Idea of You. To be honest, I thought it was going to be a pretty naff 50 Shades type book.

I found myself really enjoying it once I’d gotten stuck in. So much so, that I don’t want to read the last 15 minutes and have finished it!

Read the black flamingo, was okay, 3* from me. Clearly aimed at young children and would be a good read for anyone who is about to start secondary school and isn’t sure who they are/they need to understand people go through changes

Finished where the grass is greener in less than a day, really enjoyed it.
but now.......

choosing another book 😩😩😩😩😩😩

I finished Girl A today and the 7th Bridgerton book. I'm not ready to start the 8th as that's the last one and i have really enjoyed them

So instead I have started my sister the serial killer

I finished Girl A today and the 7th Bridgerton book. I'm not ready to start the 8th as that's the last one and i have really enjoyed them

So instead I have started my sister the serial killer
I really enjoyed my sister the serial killer. It was like nothing Id ever read before. Nice short read too.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.