Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

blondelolita

Chatty Member
same 😂😂
(Although blowing my own trumpet I’ve done good with the push, people like her and for some what she knew, I also recommend the I heart series regardless of what anyone thinks 😂😂 and the Johnny be good books if you like those kind of things as well)

and no offense to @Caffeine Fiend AT ALL, you know I love you my Lidl Taylor Swift mate, but I hate when it’s a recommendation on the thread and someone then asks does it get any better as it goes on because they’re struggling with it 🙈🙈🙈
I love this thread, I think if I’m taking a recommendation from here and I don’t get on with the book I’d just say I enjoyed it anyway so I didn’t hurt anyone 😂 but maybe that’s wrong of me 🤷‍♀️ And I need to grow up being so snowflakey 😂
Never thought I’d see a thread where you weren’t savage tbh, it’s kinda emotional. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 6

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I MISS READING. Going to get back to it this week. It been weeks since I picked up a book. Don’t know whether to give up on the book I was reading and start something new, or try it again.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Im half way through Verity and I am hooked. First Colleen Hoover book Ive read. I have a lot to do today but only got about 1 hour 45 mins left to read. So tempted to binge it this morning.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
The Push (kindle) is 99p at the mo
Now that’s annoying! I paid £4.99 only a week ago and I never let myself pay that much for Kindle books - I blame you lot fully though, everyone raving about The Push made me spend money. If I’d waited a week I could have save £4. I am enjoying it but would rather have paid 99p!

nbt

VIP Member
Put the books in your wish list on kindle format and check it periodically from low to high price. If you have kindle app on phone it will tell you when a price goes down
Also 1st day of month loads of books go to 99p for a few days I live for that day!
I don’t want to sound dramatic but this is life changing for me. Thank you so much!

• Haha
  • Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Unfortunately wasn't for me. I felt like it was trying to be two different books at the same time. It was ok but not one I would rush to recommend.
this book....... is a MESS.
I feel bad I have nothing positive to say, it’s like 4 book ideas in one, relying on a racism theme to get it onto the bestsellers list.
id struggle to give it one star 😩

• Wow

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Evening all I’m so glad I’ve found this thread! I’m an absolute book maniac. I’ve read 41 books this year and the most recent were “the frequency of us“ (weird) “after the end” (quite odd) “the vanishing half” “girl woman other” “ the sea gate “ (fantastic) “American dirt” “ people like her” and I’m currently reading “the other son”
which the push is everyone reading? Two come up with same name
i am quite frankly ashamed at my TBR pile (or piles, all over house and about 400 on kindle)
I think I’ve found my people 👌🏼
Welcome, settle in - all book lovers welcome!

The Push most read here is The Push by Ashley Audrain.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I’m 60% through The Push and loving it. It took me a good chunk to get into it and get my head around the writing style of it. I didn’t think I was going to like it as first but the more I’ve carried on the more gripped I’ve got.

Laurenia

Has anybody seen the #tbrconfessionsstack on Instagram? I know lots of us on here have long TBR lists so thought it might be interesting to have a go. The questions are:

A book that’s been on my TBR list for longest.
A book that I don’t feel like reading anymore.
A book that isn’t in my usual genre.
A book that’s intimidating because of the hype.
A book that’s super long.

• Heart

Lola123

VIP Member
This is a rogue one, but Marcus Rashford’s book. Came up on my Libary app via audiobook and honestly if any of your have teens or young children who struggle with resilience and working hard to get where they need to go or self belief and confidence, buy it

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
Back with a vengeance post reading hiatus, I finished The Push last weekend. Gave it 3/5, I enjoyed it and the ending but wanted MORE DETAIL! Can definitely see why the review on the cover mentions We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Also just finished Hungry by Grace Dent and LOVED it. If you're working class and of a certain age (40s) there's so much nostalgia. The relationship with her gradually ailing parents is very touching. A very evocative and at times emotional read. I was never that bothered about reading Dent's work before but I'll be ordering more. If it wasn't for STUPID WORK, I would have finished this one in a day.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Happy first reads day! 🥳 What is everyone going for?
Ooh I forgot it was the 1st today! A bit of exciting news after getting the dreaded call from my son’s nursery that he’s now got to isolate for a week. At least some good books might get me through in those tiny pockets of time when he’s distracted by Peppa Pig or Shrek.

• Heart
  • Sad

Marylou

VIP Member
I'm reading Cast into Doubt by Patricia Mcdonald at the moment and am tempted to just skim to the end. Does this irritate anyone else or is it just me?

IMG_20210801_131429.jpg

I've read a few of her books (kindle unlimited) and have found myself losing patience with her writing at times despite the fact that she tells a great story.

Laurenia

Just started where the crawdads sing…. Feel like it’s one of the most hyped books over the last 18 months
It took me a little while to get into it, but I absolutely loved this book. One of my faves, I felt so immersed in the story. I was dreaming I was in the marsh for weeks 😂

Regina George

VIP Member
I finished What She Knew. Last 50% was a million times better than the first 50% but I felt really sad at the end.

Been difficult to read much, with Euros, Too Hot Too Handle and Love Island. I dont usually watch much tv but its all come on at once.
That’s interesting, I preferred the first half!

I’ve come to terms with the fact I’ll never be someone that comes on this thread and introduces a new book for everyone to read…
I’m reading The Ice Cream Girls after it was recommended here😊

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I’m audio booking books I’ve already read 🙈 just finished something borrowed/something blue (which I forgot how much I liked 😂) and now I’m looking for a new one.

the library apps are bloody brilliant until you realise a book is reserved until October 2022 😐

• Wow

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I felt like an outsider saying I didn’t rate crawdads 🙈 anything with that amount of hype instantly turns me off anyway.

i haven’t been reading many physical books this last week ☹ Read the fixer by Claudia Carroll and it was AWFUL, AWFUL.
and I think since then I’ve not been with it. 😒
but I’m still really enjoying audio, atm I really like listening to old books I read years ago. Chasing Harry Winston and everyone worth knowing by Lauren Weisberger plus (don’t judge 🙈) one of my favourites Christmas at Tiffany’s (not a Christmas book) by Karen Swan which I would recommend to anyone who loves chick lit (The audio version is great as well)

Mostly, because I struggling to pick a new one 🤦‍♀️

I'm really into my latest book. I'm on 56% already! I also took advantage of the Euros match lasting forever so I read for a it last night before Love Island. I've had a quiet work day so I'm tempted to get into bed and read a bit before everyone gets home but I know I will fall asleep 😂 .

• Haha

50sGirl

VIP Member
Interested to hear your reservations. I enjoyed it (if like you say that's the right word) and agree it dealt with the women kindly and didn't glorify the killer which is so common, particularly with Jack the Ripper as she discussed (e.g. using him for tourism, souveniers etc). I did think a lot of it was quite speculative, which I guess is to be expected as it was so long ago so so much will be unknown about them. I liked how it gave you a sense of what life was like as a normal person during that era, as so much of what you usually read is about the royals and wealthier people.
I thought the same.
You’d never have someone doing a Yorkshire Ripper tour but it’s fine for these victims be be made into a tourist attraction.
My great grandmother was born in Whitechapel in the summer of 1888 in the street adjacent to one where one of the victims lived/was killed (I can’t remember which now). The author described it as the poorest street in London.
I knew my ancestors were very poor but that brought it home to me just how poor they were.
I think the author has to use a lot of poetic licence when writing it as fact because a lot of assumptions were made.
These victims have always been portrayed as common prostitutes when in fact only one of them was a prostitute.

• Heart