Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

QueenBW

VIP Member
Has anyone read Carley Fortune's books? I'm just starting her first and I'm loving it. I love it when romance books are written well and don't have silly dialogue and needless "my pants tightened when I saw her" and "I watched her butt as she walked away" literally every 5 minutes 😅
I've read her first two. They were good, and well written but the plotlines were not my favorite.

Reactions: 1
i have never fought for my life reading a book more than i did with the luminaries. even seeing it on my bedside table in the morning had me 😫😩
It was my first ever audiobook and I almost gave up on audiobooks altogether 🤣 Like what was the point. But my next one was The Clockmaker’s Daughter and I loved it.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
My latest 5 stars are The Moonflower Murders (but it is Book 2 after Magpie Murders), The Trial, and The Marlow Murder Club.

I've had a lot of 3 stars this year, hoping the second half of the year is better!

capriallie

VIP Member
I finished Hell Bent by Leigh Bardugo. I’m not sure what it is about her books, as I’ve said before I struggled with Ninth House but Hell Bent was on a kindle offer and very cheap plus I wanted to know how Alex was going to get Darlington out of hell. It seems that I read and read and read her books and barely make a dent in the percentage read. This took me 13 days to read, almost double the time it should normally take but I didn’t feel I was reading any less! Very odd. A Goodreads review summed up my thoughts really well, ‘This series has become akin to me to a relationship that I know isn’t working anymore but which I cannot quit because every now and then something good will happen.’ The reviewer also mentions that she doesn’t just let her characters breathe, ’they’re always running off after some new mystery or som unexpected plot turn and we are just chasing after them.’ I love Goodreads mainly for the fact that when I go to the reviews someone has written how I feel about a book much more elegantly than I ever could. I’m not sure I still really understand the whole hell, demons, coming in/getting out, all the different Lethe people whose names I can’t remember, the vampire still roaming around, whether Darlington is actually ok as a half man half demon and how that even happenedAlthough there’s going to be another book coming I really think that might be it for me As I don’t think it’ll answer any of my questions and the characters I care about are ok. Despite Darlington seeming to struggle with the demon inside and Tripp going down the Buffy route of being a vampire with a soul. I will end on a positive, I liked finding out why each of the 4 was a murderer in their little back stories.

I feel I need a palette cleanser in the form of a filthy mafia romance which I will read in a day and then completely forget about. Anyone else a fan?
I couldn’t even finish Ninth House as I couldn’t understand the plot at all. It seemed to jump around and nothing was explained clearly

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I've been listening to Good Girl, Bad Blood (the sequel to A Good Girls Guide to Murder) recently and for once I'm really enjoying an audiobook! It's odd, because it definitely feels like a book that doesn't seem particularly suited to audio format, with the little case file bits and 'evidence' at the end of chapters, but it's a good story.

tomato_paste

My latest 5 stars are The Moonflower Murders (but it is Book 2 after Magpie Murders), The Trial, and The Marlow Murder Club.

I've had a lot of 3 stars this year, hoping the second half of the year is better!
Marlow Murder Club is getting a TV series! I hope I'll be able to watch it somewhere...

CommentBelow

Nooooo but life is kicking my ass lately and this has really brightened my day 😭😭
---
However I have just gone to his instagram and seen the lovely post hes written about his wives birthday 🥺🥺🥺🥺
Oh that post got me 🥺🥺 and made me realise that I’ve assumed his wife is Kira from Beartown anytime he’s mentioned her in any other post.

Lipsofchicken

Has anyone read Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky? I’ve over heard some colleagues raving about it and my ears pricked up, it’s not my usual genre but I’m willing to try if you guys think it’s good?

tam

Chatty Member
I am nearly half way through bee sting and I am struggling. I have an hour left of the no punctuation chapter and I’m ready to give up. Do I slog through it?
I struggled with this book. I read it through a buddy read which helped a lot. Overall, i liked it but could have been shorter.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Picked up both The Running Grave (Strike) and Marlow Murder Club 3 in paperback in Waterstones yesterday (anyone know why Waterstones put the books out a day earlier than they are meant to be released? They also had the new Rob Rinder out yesterday when it comes out today?!) Anyway, now to decide which one to devour first

Going to save the new Rob Rinder and purchase it on kindle for my holiday next month I think!
Weirdly my MMC3 preorder is arriving Weds, from Amazon... Not sure why not being despatched today or tomorrow, but my reading pile is huge so i don't necessarily need it until Weds anyway.

I’m on the new Housemaid and I’m enjoying it but it might aswell not be linked to the first two books. I’ve only got about 10% to go. I did laugh that there is in a line where a character comments that the third in a series is never as good as the first two.
I think that's why I probably didn't enjoy it. It wasn't very Housemaidy 😆

tp1986

I've just finished This Family by Kate Sawyer. Anyone else read this, I vaguely remember seeing it on this board a while back!
So I assume from the chapter after Clara nearly drowns in the pond and Emma saves her, it sounds like Emma and Phoebe reconcile - did anyone else read it as though Michael died at some point? It was a sentence about her remembering him as clear as he was in his films and I wondered if that's what it meant, or I've just taken that the wrong way

This is one of my faves of hers but I think she did too much in it. The number of things the characters went through was a lotttt.

The setting and reading about them adjusting to life in Alaska was fascinating though! It sent me on a hunt for something else like that and I found The Simple Wild series. Totally different vibe but really enjoyed them. 😅
Ooh I’ll keep my eye out for them thanks! Think I’ve ran out of Kristin Hannah books after this one! The Women was my fave.

I use both archive of our own and Mibba.

I write and read in multiple fandoms - supernatural, Sherlock, band fiction etc. you basically write a story about whatever your into (🤭) and post it to the website. I’ve read fics that are a million times better than some published authors over the years, I’ll always love and respect fan fiction writers.

so, the author of 50 shades wrote twilight fan fiction and then turned that story into what 50 shades is now which ew and also no, it doesn’t work. I hate 50 shades with a passion 😂😂
Thank you, I’m going to have a look at the sites. I keep hearing about fanfic so want to see whT it’s all about.
Is it just romance based?

nbt

VIP Member
Im 46% through my reread of The Passengers and loving it. Although I’ve remembered the books premise, I’ve completely forgotten the actual details for the most part.

At the end of chapter 34 I leapt out my skin when it was revealed that Claire had the body of her husband in her car. I’d completely forgotten that each character has a backstory.

You started yet?
No and I’m still only about 35% through my book, although I’d really like to try and finish that this weekend if I can!

Not read your spoiler but I wonder if it may link to The Family Experiment?

chickhicks86

VIP Member
Has anyone read Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky? My teen is currently trying to read it (due to the video game that is based on it), but he's really struggling with the small writing and long chapters. Do I tell him to persevere or move onto something he will enjoy more?