Books #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read Riders when I was 10/11 - I’ll never forget it 🙈
Blimey, I bet that was “educational”!! 😳

I’ve probably read more Jilly Cooper than any other author over the years. They are still my go to for a good entertaining read when I’m in a bit of a slump. They are very of their time though so intrigued to know what people make of them nowadays. Can’t wait to see this adaptation of Rivals even though they will have had to change some of it!

Reactions: 5
I’ve read Riders - but when I was a teenager (my mum’s copy) but predictably can’t remember it at alll! Do really remember the cover though.

I read Fourth Wing just after it came out / before the hype, I did really enjoy it when I read it and felt very 2010 fantasy style but I don’t think I’d like it so much if I had any expectations - especially with the hype there is now.

I’ve almost stopped reading books there’s a lot of hype around because I feel as though I’m setting myself up for disappointment / or parking them for a while.
Yes! Even without having read any, the covers for Riders and Rivals both stick in my mind.

I agree re: expectations! Sometimes it really helps if you don't have a concept of a book before starting it. BookTok is great for raising a book's profile, but it's always going to be a double-edged sword. Also, it's partly why I like illumicrate, sometimes it's a book before it becomes popular, and sometimes it's a book that otherwise would have gone under my radar.

Reactions: 5
Yes! Even without having read any, the covers for Riders and Rivals both stick in my mind.

I agree re: expectations! Sometimes it really helps if you don't have a concept of a book before starting it. BookTok is great for raising a book's profile, but it's always going to be a double-edged sword. Also, it's partly why I like illumicrate, sometimes it's a book before it becomes popular, and sometimes it's a book that otherwise would have gone under my radar.
Totally agree on Illumicrate (and Fairyloot!) although I need to be better at prioritising reading book box books 😳

Reactions: 2
Totally agree on Illumicrate (and Fairyloot!) although I need to be better at prioritising reading book box books 😳
I skipped February through April, but May and June arriving within a week of each other will cause me issues 🫣

I opted not to go for Fairyloot when my turn came up because I'd already bought Faebound/City of Stardust, and they've got revenge on me by picking more books that I want to read 🫠

Reactions: 2
I get illumicrate and fairyloot too. The books are so pretty...just need to read them 😌

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hello, hope you don't mind me jumping in! I'm on the waitlist for Fairyloot and have just signed up to The Locked Library which i'm excited for!

Also a fanfiction reader, Archive of Our Own is the best place (AO3) I read HP, so if anyone needs recommendations, let me know!

Currently reading When the Moon Hatched and loving it!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Are there any other book clubs which offer special editions which arent fantasy?

Im signed up to Illumicrate Afterlight but would be open to others that have thrillers / lit fic / romance.

I noticed Fairyloot had special edition Icebreaker and Wildfire and they were stunning but I dont like fantasy so its stupid to even go on the waitlist.

Are there any other book clubs which offer special editions which arent fantasy?

Im signed up to Illumicrate Afterlight but would be open to others that have thrillers / lit fic / romance.

I noticed Fairyloot had special edition Icebreaker and Wildfire and they were stunning but I dont like fantasy so its stupid to even go on the waitlist.
Owlcrate are starting some new quarterly subs in 2025 but not sure how it works as they're American... there's a few others like The Butterfly Book Box, Bookish Box, Broken Binding that I don't know much about but seem to have some romance?

Owlcrate are starting some new quarterly subs in 2025 but not sure how it works as they're American... there's a few others like The Butterfly Book Box, Bookish Box, Broken Binding that I don't know much about but seem to have some romance?
I will check them out thanks :D Afterlight is £20+ postage so £25 a month which is fair for one book but some seem so expensive from when Ive seen.

I love the look of Book Of The Month but its US only. I wish we had it here

I will check them out thanks :D Afterlight is £20+ postage so £25 a month which is fair for one book but some seem so expensive from when Ive seen.

I love the look of Book Of The Month but its US only. I wish we had it here
Book of the Month looks so good, I share your envy.

Goldsboro Books is UK-based. I think their subscription is fantasy, but they do special editions of a variety of books, might be worth having a look!

Reactions: 1

Goldsboro have a ‘Premier’ subscription which I *think is more literary / a mix of genres. The books look beautiful and I’ve been tempted for a while!

How does fan fiction work and where do people read it? I find it a bit confusing. Like I didn’t understand how 50 Shades were based on the Twilight series
I use both archive of our own and Mibba.

I write and read in multiple fandoms - supernatural, Sherlock, band fiction etc. you basically write a story about whatever your into (🤭) and post it to the website. I’ve read fics that are a million times better than some published authors over the years, I’ll always love and respect fan fiction writers.

so, the author of 50 shades wrote twilight fan fiction and then turned that story into what 50 shades is now which ew and also no, it doesn’t work. I hate 50 shades with a passion 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I use both archive of our own and Mibba.

I write and read in multiple fandoms - supernatural, Sherlock, band fiction etc. you basically write a story about whatever your into (🤭) and post it to the website. I’ve read fics that are a million times better than some published authors over the years, I’ll always love and respect fan fiction writers.

so, the author of 50 shades wrote twilight fan fiction and then turned that story into what 50 shades is now which ew and also no, it doesn’t work. I hate 50 shades with a passion 😂😂
archive of our own is one of the great loves of my life at this point 🤣 i won’t post my fandoms because i, uh, write a little bit but i am so with you on fanfic being a million times better than a lot of published books. i think it’s why i’m so harsh on published romances sometimes because i’ve read some actual masterpieces on ao3.

i read a bit of 50 shades ages back when it was masters of the universe and hated it then. a lot of people have read published fanfic and not realised though tbh, especially with the recent number of published reylo stuff. likewise, i remember cassandra clare back when she was causing drama on fandomwank 🤣 memories!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
archive of our own is one of the great loves of my life at this point 🤣 i won’t post my fandoms because i, uh, write a little bit but i am so with you on fanfic being a million times better than a lot of published books. i think it’s why i’m so harsh on published romances sometimes because i’ve read some actual masterpieces on ao3.

i read a bit of 50 shades ages back when it was masters of the universe and hated it then. a lot of people have read published fanfic and not realised though tbh, especially with the recent number of published reylo stuff. likewise, i remember cassandra clare back when she was causing drama on fandomwank 🤣 memories!
Oh god, the whole Cassandra Clare debacle! 😂 I watched the shadowhunter series, it was sooo bad!

archive of our own is fabulous, you can literally find anything your heart desires 😂 agreed, I will probably never read a romance as good as that supernatural romance story (iykyk) so I don’t bother.

I’ve not read any reylo but my friend writes it and I get to beta read hers. Likewise with hp. I tried a Draco once and felt weird reading it 😂
I read the first couple of chapters of 50 shades but noped right out of it at the sheer amount of “ohhh”s. No one talks like that!

• Heart

Omg, fandomwank was the best! Didn't her fans buy her a new laptop or something?

When fanfic comes up here, I do wonder if we've read each other's without knowing it.

I don't think I've ever read a fanfic which got published (I've definitely read the book side, I just don't think I've been on the fic side). Freya Marske would be the closest, because I read her fics before she got published. Side note that her next book Swordcrossed looks like ridiculous fun.

• Heart
@inwonderland And @stepheany you would particularly recommend?

I am a huge HP fan but have never read any fan fiction!
Draco/Hermione is what I'm reading at the moment (used to be Harry/Draco many years ago so can recommend there too if interested)

Manacled by SenLinYu is the first that comes to mind - being pulled offline at the end of year as a version is being traditionally published.

I'll be back with more!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Omg, fandomwank was the best! Didn't her fans buy her a new laptop or something?

When fanfic comes up here, I do wonder if we've read each other's without knowing it.
they sure did! they threw money at her every time she flounced offline (which was a LOT) to my memory. i could never take the mortal instruments series seriously because i just know too much 🤣

we very possibly have, depending on the fandom of course 😉 i wish i had time to write more these days, i was so prolific when i was in uni and had infinite free time but i’m just not one of those authors who can throw out 15k of pure magic im the evenings after work.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.