Books #29

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh it's awful. I didn't dnf it, but still hated every word of it when I read it.
At least that answers my question of whether or not it improves!

---

i sadly read it a few weeks ago 🤣 and i completely agree - it was sweet enough but i don’t know why on any level you would choose to set a book in the 1300s and do absolutely no historical research beyond “they rode horses and i think wore tunics maybe”. knowing that it won a major romance writing competition blew my mind because how.

i haven’t read murder at the end of the world but i HATED evelyn hardcastle by the same author so i’m validating you!
I didn't know that it won anything! I wept at the use of "louden" in the second chapter, and when one character told another that their pronunciation was unclear, instead of their enunciation, and generally cringed whenever Penn was on the page. Which was, obviously, a lot of the time.

Also the travelling between their respective homes, I didn't care. What a waste of a beautiful cover.

Also I bought the sequel before reading this one; big mistake. Huge.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I didn't know that it won anything! I wept at the use of "louden" in the second chapter, and when one character told another that their pronunciation was unclear, instead of their enunciation, and generally cringed whenever Penn was on the page. Which was, obviously, a lot of the time.

Also the travelling between their respective homes, I didn't care. What a waste of a beautiful cover.

Also I bought the sequel before reading this one; big mistake. Huge.
it won a big mills and boon audience submission prize (which is how it ended up being published i think!) - i was AMAZED 🤣 i cringed when penn mentioned his mother reading la morte d’arthur in the first chapter because even i knew that was written about 200 years after when this was meant to be happening.

and omg the travelling. where their horses apparently travelled at light speed given that one estate was apparently meant to be on the scottish border. and raf being the luckiest hunter in the world considering that they never struggled once despite camping in the absolute middle of winter.

i had no clue there was a sequel and i almost want you to read it for me and feedback 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
it won a big mills and boon audience submission prize (which is how it ended up being published i think!) - i was AMAZED 🤣 i cringed when penn mentioned his mother reading la morte d’arthur in the first chapter because even i knew that was written about 200 years after when this was meant to be happening.

and omg the travelling. where their horses apparently travelled at light speed given that one estate was apparently meant to be on the scottish border. and raf being the luckiest hunter in the world considering that they never struggled once despite camping in the absolute middle of winter.

i had no clue there was a sequel and i almost want you to read it for me and feedback 🤣
I absolutely will read it for you - it features their respective sisters - but I need some recovery time first 🫠

I was trying to work out if it was the right time for the Black Death to show up, but I suppose that isn't very romantic.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Was looking for the audiobook version of the Iliad and the Odyssey, it's 59 euros 😬 Guess I'll stick with my 2 euros second hand editions... (Librivox has a version too, need to check it out)

• Wow
I absolutely will read it for you - it features their respective sisters - but I need some recovery time first 🫠

I was trying to work out if it was the right time for the Black Death to show up, but I suppose that isn't very romantic.
🤣🤣 i’ve never read so many goodreads reviews asking about the black death as i did for that book. i truly don’t know why she didn’t bump it up to a regency era, she would have literally had to change nothing based on the level of research she’d apparently (not) done!

i had a feeling that they were going to go there with the sisters so this doesn’t surprise me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
A Court of Mist and Fury is getting me out of a reading slump. ❤ I have a feeling I might fall for Rhys, after hating him in ACOTAR. I'm about 100 pages in and I'm hooked.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I was trying to explain to someone today - the recommended books I was reading that I wouldn't normally have chosen - and failing spectacularly.
They were trying to guess what genre I meant - "Harry Potter???".....then finally they said "fantasy???"..... I said "yes for some of them, but the others were about fairies fighting I think 🤔, but I haven't read those yet......"
Am now left thinking that they think I've lost the plot, as I can't explain what I mean for the life of me! 🤷‍♀️😏😫😬🙄🤭🥵
Bet you can't guess what books I'm on about....🤣😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Just finished A country escape by Kate Fforde, really enjoyable read (I know I say this about most books 😊 ) although
I thought her love interest was up to something to get the farm but turned out he wasn't

Reactions: 3
A Court of Mist and Fury is getting me out of a reading slump. ❤ I have a feeling I might fall for Rhys, after hating him in ACOTAR. I'm about 100 pages in and I'm hooked.
I wish I could go back to reading ACOTAR and not know about that twist that is to come!

• Heart
The Third Wife is a DNF for me. 58% through and NOTHING has happened, absolutely zilch! Life is too short 😂

• Sad