Books #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone got any recommendations for a good crime thriller series? Looking for something along the lines of Cara Hunter, gripping, not excessively dark but not cosy.
--
Chelsea Cain has the Gretchen Lowell series.
I also enjoy the Robert Crais, Pike & Elvis series.
If you can find his books then J A Kerley has a great Carson Ryder series.
Lisa Gardner has a couple of different series that I enjoy
Jeff Abbot also has the Sam Capra series which is great.
And then I also enjoy the Gregg Hurwitz, Orphan series 😊

Reactions: 1
Currently listening to The Third Wife and it is just giving me the ick. He is horrible! The constant comments on people bodies 🤮 I’m sticking with it because I know Lisa likes to do things slowly but this is a struggle

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Finished A Moveable Feast. The last chapter is brilliant, the rest is okay. Funniest bit was the conversation with FS Fitzgerald where Hemingway had to reassure him about the size of his penis (after Fitzgerald insisted to show it to him) and gave him a pep talk about the importance of being a 'grower' not a 'shower' lol

Next is Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. A few people here recommended it and I'm trying to find books that motivate me to study 😅

• Heart
  • Haha
Apologies in advance as I know most of you loved this book but I had to DNF The Most Fun We Ever Had. I don't really know why I hated it, it felt that it was taking forever to read and I just didn't like or gel with any of the characters, I bailed at 30%. It just felt like a chore but I just couldn't get into it

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Apologies in advance as I know most of you loved this book but I had to DNF The Most Fun We Ever Had. I don't really know why I hated it, it felt that it was taking forever to read and I just didn't like or gel with any of the characters, I bailed at 30%. It just felt like a chore but I just couldn't get into it
I felt like this for some of that book if I’m honest, but I stayed for Wendy and Jonah’s relationship.

I felt the same with this one, a rare DNF for me too

• Sad
I am always

I am always jealous of people in this position. You have so much brilliant writing to come.
Me too!
I'm also jealous of people who are just starting out watching someone's epic rebuilding videos. I've talked myself down from waiting up till 1 am for the latest video to see if they are still alive 🙄
Books and You Tube are my major addiction 💞

Phew at least it's not just me. Beginning to think I'm abnormal as I didn't like thread fave Backman either!
It's just preferences. There are some posters on this thread that love the books I love but also love the ones I hate, it makes it interesting!

I didn't like beartown much.

Reactions: 9
I think Backman and TMFWE could be very boring to some people.

Even as a Backman superfan I can totally understand why his books would bore the pants off you. Which might seem like a strange comment to make but they are slow.

I loved Hello Beautiful by Ann Nepolitano and I thought it stunning. Then on a FB page I was shocked to find out so many people had DNF it 🙈

Again similar story, very slow, amazing character development but not much happens.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Even as a Backman superfan I can totally understand why his books would bore the pants off you. Which might seem like a strange comment to make but they are slow.

I loved Hello Beautiful by Ann Nepolitano and I thought it stunning. Then on a FB page I was shocked to find out so many people had DNF it 🙈

Again similar story, very slow, amazing character development but not much happens.
I feel like all I’ve seen are rave reviews of Hello Beautiful! I struggled getting through it so reassuring to hear there are people who felt the same.

Reactions: 3
Amazing! 🥳 Let me know what you think of it.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed but my NetGalley list is huge again. 😣
Fingers crossed for you 🤞🏻 I’ve only ever had the KL Slater book last week which was a free for all, so I’m very pleasantly surprised!

• Heart
I feel like all I’ve seen are rave reviews of Hello Beautiful! I struggled getting through it so reassuring to hear there are people who felt the same.
I loved it. One of my favourite reads this year but definitely not one for people who want fast paced, a vigorous plot or a clear storyline throughout.
---
Klaxon. Klaxon. Klaxon. Look what appeared for me today.

Usually says 'not eligble'

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I loved it. One of my favourite reads this year but definitely not one for people who want fast paced, a vigorous plot or a clear storyline throughout.
---
Klaxon. Klaxon. Klaxon. Look what appeared for me today.

Usually says 'not eligble'
It’s possible I just didn’t connect with any of the characters, possibly doesn’t help that I don’t have any sisters 🤷🏻‍♀️

Speaking of character driven.. did you see Backman mention on instagram that he’s editing a new book atm? 👀

• Wow
More of a rant

I picked up Doppelgänger by Naomi Klein as it sounded like something normally look. I’m maybe less than 50 pages in and I’m really not loving it

She sets the scene and it’s a bit like… you’re sort of pushing the idea of a doppelgänger here and also all these other literature references don’t seem to be relevant and come off as a bit conspiracy-esque spiritualism vibes

She then discusses how the algorithms confused the two too. Interesting BUT she doesn’t go on to explain whether she tested that theory at all. It’s just something she seems to have concluded on one tweet she replied to

Any other “social media flawed” book would have gone in on this, especially because it mentioned machine learning and that was somewhat topical but Naomi… makes a conclusion based on seemingly one tweet. Love it.

Has anyone read it? Does it get better???

Also i have to say im just tired of everything being about Covid conspiracies

Reactions: 2

Oh hello beautiful was on my list due to recommendations but going by that I should probably skip it! I also didn't like Cleopatra and Frankenstein which was another popular one here and also character driven as far as I remember

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.