Books #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you all for the Kate Morton info. :giggle:Really enjoying Homecoming so far. I also love a dual timeline.

Reactions: 4
Re Strike series , are the stories the same as the ones featured on the tv show Strike ? I’ve seen that so it puts me off reading the books as I’d know the story?
The books are far better than the TV series and that's coming from someone who liked the series. The books are the same as the series but far more in depth.
Put it this way if I had to save the series or the books I'd save the books and grab a photo of Strike.
Can I be any more blunt than that! 😁🀭

• Haha
Reactions: 7
a god in ruins broke my heart :( i love kate atkinson and she was especially devastating in that.
I finished it today and had to re-read the ending just to make sure that I understood what I had just read. As it sunk in, I started to cry which completely took me by surprise! Beautifully written ❀
---
I reserved
Floating hotel
Welcome to glorious Tuga
Sandwich
Emily Wilde’s encyclopaedia of faeries
Nothing without me
Cultish

I can’t lie, most of them I was drawn to by the covers πŸ˜‚
I also have Sandwich on hold at the library. I also tried to get in on Libby and have 209 people ahead of me in that queue πŸ˜‚ I had never heard of the author until her book about the hospice was recommended here.

Reactions: 3
I just read Sandwich. Thought it was good but I loved We All Want Impossible Things so had expected to like it more. Would be interested to discuss it when a few other people have read it.

Re Strike series , are the stories the same as the ones featured on the tv show Strike ? I’ve seen that so it puts me off reading the books as I’d know the story?
Yes, but, the tv series chops it down a bit so there are some side bits that didn't make the cut for the TV series. TV wise they have released up to Book 5 (Troubled Blood). They've just wrapped filming Book 6 (The Ink Black Heart), so perhaps if you preferred you could skip to reading The Ink Black Heart and The Running Grave if you want to read them before they air? Book 8 is apparently on its way soon, JKR said on Twitter the other day that she's on chapter 106 so it's going to be a long one again, yesssssssss. No idea about release date yet. I really recommend reading The Running Grave because it took me on a journey and I was invested! (It's about a cult and one of them goes undercover)
---
The books are far better than the TV series and that's coming from someone who liked the series. The books are the same as the series but far more in depth.
Put it this way if I had to save the series or the books I'd save the books and grab a photo of Strike.
Can I be any more blunt than that! 😁🀭
ahahaha grab a photo. Join the queue at the photo printing place ;)
---
I've not read too much this month again, where on earth has most of June gone?!

Reactions: 6
Just popping in to say I recently discovered You’re Booked podcast . Celebs discussing their bookshelves . Be warned though, it leads to an ever increasing TBR pile 🀣
The last episode was Fearne Cotton and I learned we share the same love of a 1970s rockstar biography.
---
Thanks to all for replies about the Strike novels . I’ll get them on my library list πŸ‘

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I forgot to watch the new thread so lost my way with this chat! I've read loads lately though and have a few recommends. Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams was great, as was Go As A River by Shelley Read, which had definite Kristin Hannah vibes for fellow fans.

I really enjoyed Janet Jackson's Yorkshire B&B as a fast, fun, light-hearted read so thank you whoever recommended that. Have ordered the 'Superhost' follow-up for next time I'm in the mood for something light.

Now back to read through the whole thread!

Reactions: 6
Just finished reading The Missing Sister by Lucinda Riley.
As the pages were running out and there was still so much to be explained/unravelled I started panicking that I'd never find out. I got to the last page and still so much was unknown. 😲😬
Then reading the author's note dated March 2021 about the answers coming in the final instalment that she was yet to write.......and knowing from reading the inside front cover of the book that the author died in June 2021 I was virtually howling in despair......😫πŸ˜₯
until I turned over the final page and saw the final book available for preorder publishing Spring 2023.
Phew!!! πŸ˜…
Naturally I've immediately ordered it from the library and I'm first in the queue! πŸ™Œ πŸŽ‰πŸ₯³
This is all coming on the month from hell, so I'm hoping this is my present from the universe and that my dear, departed bookworm friend is smiling down on me from "upstairs," and probably cacking to herself, πŸ™„ that my inheritance of her library of books is about to descend on me, when I'm trying to fight my way out of my own pile of to be reads! 😬πŸ˜₯😁

• Heart
Reactions: 8
As the pages were running out and there was still so much to be explained/unravelled I started panicking that I'd never find out. I got to the last page and still so much was unknown. 😲😬
I am SOOO excited for you to read Atlas - the Story of Pa Salt. Its a long one but I simply adored it. I devoured it in 2 days.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I am SOOO excited for you to read Atlas - the Story of Pa Salt. Its a long one but I simply adored it. I devoured it in 2 days.
Just hope I can keep the desperation to read it under control, rather than banging down the library doors demanding my book now!!! πŸ˜«πŸ˜¬πŸ€­πŸ˜πŸ™„

Just finished reading The Missing Sister by Lucinda Riley.
Then reading the author's note dated March 2021 about the answers coming in the final instalment that she was yet to write.......and knowing from reading the inside front cover of the book that the author died in June 2021 I was virtually howling in despair......😫πŸ˜₯
until I turned over the final page and saw the final book available for preorder publishing Spring 2023.
Phew!!! πŸ˜…
Naturally I've immediately ordered it from the library and I'm first in the queue! πŸ™Œ πŸŽ‰πŸ₯³
This is all coming on the month from hell, so I'm hoping this is my present from the universe and that my dear, departed bookworm friend is smiling down on me from "upstairs," and probably cacking to herself, πŸ™„ that my inheritance of her library of books is about to descend on me, when I'm trying to fight my way out of my own pile of to be reads! 😬πŸ˜₯😁
I think this might be the series my work colleague was talking about once, she said it was about sisters and that the author died and someone was going to finish her last book? I never checked it out, she told me last year and I forgot all about it. I'm glad you get to read the last book soon. It does make me nervous about other series's where the author could die without finishing it :oops: Like when you know a book series has multiple books planned but they've only released a few so far, it makes me a bit like ooooooh I hope you've sketched out your plot of a document and shared it with family for safe keeping...

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I think this might be the series my work colleague was talking about once, she said it was about sisters and that the author died and someone was going to finish her last book? I never checked it out, she told me last year and I forgot all about it. I'm glad you get to read the last book soon. It does make me nervous about other series's where the author could die without finishing it :oops: Like when you know a book series has multiple books planned but they've only released a few so far, it makes me a bit like ooooooh I hope you've sketched out your plot of a document and shared it with family for safe keeping...
Lucinda Riley's son finished the series for her. They had written some children's stories together previously. I think he did a great job with the last book - I'd never had known it was written by someone else - he captured her style perfectly.

Reactions: 8
It's the stuff of nightmares I tell you! 😬

I forgot to watch the new thread so lost my way with this chat! I've read loads lately though and have a few recommends. Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams was great, as was Go As A River by Shelley Read, which had definite Kristin Hannah vibes for fellow fans.

I really enjoyed Janet Jackson's Yorkshire B&B as a fast, fun, light-hearted read so thank you whoever recommended that. Have ordered the 'Superhost' follow-up for next time I'm in the mood for something light.

Now back to read through the whole thread!
Ooh thanks for this rec as I love Kristin Hannah books and hadn’t heard of Go As A River!

I read Profile K by Helen Fields today - really good and struggled to put it down. Now starting Forth Wing . . . I find fantasy a bit hit and Miss so hoping this one is a good one.

Reactions: 4
My reading is going terribly this year, only on 16 books so far, just not prioritising it at all. For the first time such big proportion of the books is audiobooks too.

Finished listening to the first of the Deverill chronicles by Santa Montefiore, actually enjoyed it so on to the next one.

Also finished reading Reminders of him which was my first Colleen hoover book. Was not a fan at all but might give another one of hers a go at some point as an easy read, not sure which one!
---
Lucinda Riley's son finished the series for her. They had written some children's stories together previously. I think he did a great job with the last book - I'd never had known it was written by someone else - he captured her style perfectly.
He did, I think the first and last book I liked best, the others were hit and miss for me tbh and I general I found the conversations in the books a bit weird and artificial- who talks like that these days? Nevertheless, the concept was good and I enjoyed listening to the audiobooks.

Reactions: 5
Anyone got any recommendations for a good crime thriller series? Looking for something along the lines of Cara Hunter, gripping, not excessively dark but not cosy.
--

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.