Books #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s possible I just didn’t connect with any of the characters, possibly doesn’t help that I don’t have any sisters 🤷🏻‍♀️

Speaking of character driven.. did you see Backman mention on instagram that he’s editing a new book atm? 👀
Nooooo but life is kicking my ass lately and this has really brightened my day 😭😭
---
However I have just gone to his instagram and seen the lovely post hes written about his wives birthday 🥺🥺🥺🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I got the KU offer too, thank you! I would have missed that otherwise as the promotion ends on 17th July

• Heart
Reactions: 3
This is my birthday present from my lovely son and girlfriend. 🥰 I've stacked them in order of what I'll read. Really enjoying Homecoming by Kate Morton.
happy birthday!!! 😘🥳😘🥳

that’s a great haul - i loved cleo and frank, and really liked at the table.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Nooooo but life is kicking my ass lately and this has really brightened my day 😭😭
---
However I have just gone to his instagram and seen the lovely post hes written about his wives birthday 🥺🥺🥺🥺
Oh that post got me 🥺🥺 and made me realise that I’ve assumed his wife is Kira from Beartown anytime he’s mentioned her in any other post.

Reactions: 1
More of a rant

I picked up Doppelgänger by Naomi Klein as it sounded like something normally look. I’m maybe less than 50 pages in and I’m really not loving it

She sets the scene and it’s a bit like… you’re sort of pushing the idea of a doppelgänger here and also all these other literature references don’t seem to be relevant and come off as a bit conspiracy-esque spiritualism vibes

She then discusses how the algorithms confused the two too. Interesting BUT she doesn’t go on to explain whether she tested that theory at all. It’s just something she seems to have concluded on one tweet she replied to

Any other “social media flawed” book would have gone in on this, especially because it mentioned machine learning and that was somewhat topical but Naomi… makes a conclusion based on seemingly one tweet. Love it.

Has anyone read it? Does it get better???

Also i have to say im just tired of everything being about Covid conspiracies
Oh no I picked this up at the weekend as its my work bookclub pick

Reactions: 1
Oh that post got me 🥺🥺 and made me realise that I’ve assumed his wife is Kira from Beartown anytime he’s mentioned her in any other post.
Ha yes. Exactly how I imagine her too. 😁 does that make him Peter?

He is a green flag though. I adore how he writes women, I love that he writes strong women, brave and courageous women. Well rounded, dimensional women. He also writes quirky women and unconventional 'womanhood' beautifully too. He also writes toxic masculinity so well.

Cannot imagine ever disliking a book he writes.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Oh no I picked this up at the weekend as its my work bookclub pick
Plenty of people seem to love it!!

I think it depends what you expect from it? I think my line of thinking was more along the lines of how podcasts on similar subjects (Missing Crypto Queen and the like) have dealt with it

I’m also just very critical on books I’m reading lately. A lot of them just go into the DNF pile these days

Hi bookworms. My reading is very slow this month and not sure why, feeling more like a book snail 🐌 than a bookworm 😂 I have a free Sunday so hoping to get loads of reading done then

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I just saw that We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter is a series now on Disney, I read the book a few years ago and liked it. Has anyone seen the show?

Hi bookworms. My reading is very slow this month and not sure why, feeling more like a book snail 🐌 than a bookworm 😂 I have a free Sunday so hoping to get loads of reading done then
but that little 🐌 is so adorable! the ministry of time has put me into something of a book slump so i’m struggling through the end of this month too, we’ll make it 💙

(i did hit 50 books in my 2024 reading challenge though! 🥳 i set 70 as my target but i might need to up it)

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I feel like such an amateur reader and thought I was a real book worm 😂🙈 I’m reading my 16th book of the year (Blue Sisters). Enjoying it now I’m halfway through but felt a slow start. I do have a 5 month old though so she’s a distraction from my reading

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Worth a go though :D if you like audio books anyway?
I intend to, I love audiobooks but it wasn’t till I saw @061wan’s post that I realised I’d misread your post. I was too excited at being offered anything for free by Amazon to realise we’d been offered different things.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I think I'm going to have to DNF The Last Murder at the End of the World. I'm really enjoying the cadence of Adjoa Andoh's voice narrating, and... that's it.

---

but that little 🐌 is so adorable! the ministry of time has put me into something of a book slump so i’m struggling through the end of this month too, we’ll make it 💙

(i did hit 50 books in my 2024 reading challenge though! 🥳 i set 70 as my target but i might need to up it)
Hooray for 50 books! Can I steer you away from One Night in Hartswood if you haven't already read it? I know we were both interested in it a while back, but it's so poorly written, it's likely to prolong a slump.

• Sad
  • Heart
Hooray for 50 books! Can I steer you away from One Night in Hartswood if you haven't already read it? I know we were both interested in it a while back, but it's so poorly written, it's likely to prolong a slump.
i sadly read it a few weeks ago 🤣 and i completely agree - it was sweet enough but i don’t know why on any level you would choose to set a book in the 1300s and do absolutely no historical research beyond “they rode horses and i think wore tunics maybe”. knowing that it won a major romance writing competition blew my mind because how.

i haven’t read murder at the end of the world but i HATED evelyn hardcastle by the same author so i’m validating you!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.