Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

OH.FFS

VIP Member
Its been quiet here this week! Are we all just reading lots or not reading at all so nothing to talk about?
I’m busy finishing Beartown (the whole series). I’d avoided it before because I thought, ice hockey I’m not really going to enjoy it.
But, after reading a few of Beckman’s novel I’ve realised he’s a master at writing words that touch my soul. So, I started. And all I can say is he is swiftly becoming one of my favourite authors ever. He writes about life / humanity (I can’t find the write words) so well. He really touches my soul, in so many ways. He makes me chuckle out loud, he makes me nod in agreement, sigh in desperation, cry at the depths of his understanding, his insight touches me deeply.
What more can I say without sounding like I’m besotted with him, which I am by the way.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14

Tofino

VIP Member
I thought this was interesting after our price discussion last week

• Heart
Reactions: 14

JLXRD

VIP Member
Finished Never Let Me Go - gave it five stars because it was devastating and that’s really what I want from a book.

Going to read Survive the Night by Riley Sager next. I’ve never read any of their books before so we shall see, if I like it then there’s a nice back catalogue I can get stuck into.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

nbt

VIP Member
You know how much I love a visual, so here is todays charity shop buy 🤩

I was so tempted to buy it from Asda yesterday too! I did end up buying The List of Suspicious Things in hardback. I thought it was really well priced at £6.

IMG_1585.jpeg

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I was passing an area today where someone I know had recommended a community garden if I was ever passing.
It was really relaxing wandering round and then I found this little sign on one of the walls:
The bottom of it says "we read to know we are not alone"
We're everywhere us bookworms 😁 We'll be leaving secret signs next 😁
Hello to any Baildon bookworms on here. The gardens are lovely. 😍
IMG_20240509_150047.jpg

• Heart

QueenBW

VIP Member
Such sad news about Sophie Kinsella
Oh man, I hadn't heard so I just went on Google. My grandfather died of a glioblastoma tumor. It's brutal. But he also lives five years with it, which is much longer than most get to. I'm glad Sophie appears to be responding to treatment.

• Heart
  • Sad

cill2019

VIP Member
I’m on my 4th Frieda book and honestly I sit reading them thinking this is rubbish, the Teacher gave me the absolute ick but guarantee I’ll keep reading and then read another one after it 😂 I like that they are on KU. I don’t know if I’d go and buy them.
The copying others work would definitely make sense because she churns them out like nobodies business
But I’ll read them all 😂

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
My April Reads. 4 five stars given for Georgette Heyer and Beth O'Leary books. I'm a terrific fan of these authors.
The Agatha Raisin detective books were the low scorers as I just couldn't get into them - I was bored.
Also found myself shocked yet again 🙄 to have downloaded an e book and then found I had a purchased unread copy already in my bookcase. 😏
Screenshot_20240430-095237.png
Screenshot_20240430-095308.png

• Heart

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
i truly don’t know! i guess i don’t open books ALL the way or ever put them face down, and i kinda stop at regular intervals to close the book and smooth the spine (i have many weird reading quirks 🤣)

i’ve thrown mama blonde under the bus here before but she literally reads books as though she’s in them (i mean i assume she does, they look like she’s been chucking them around) and falls asleep a lot when she reads so ends up squashing them. i have her copy of this family but i might buy my own because her’s is WRECKED 💀
I'm not overly fussed about a cracked spine.

But I draw the line at those psychopaths who when reading paperback fold the front cover and pages right around to the back cover and have it folded completely back to hold in one hand.

Those people need to be locked away. 😆😆

• Haha
  • Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
FINALLY FINISHED A BOOK 🥳😂

having listened to none of this is true via BorrowBox, I’m a firm audiobook fan now! I found myself willing the train to be delayed so I could listen to more! I pretty much guessed the twists around the 3/4 mark but still thoroughly enjoyed it!

also, re. people thinking reading books is boring/lazy, friends/colleagues/family really don’t get mr moon and i. We live in a bed sit, no kids so it’s just me, him and our cat. I’m the bookworm, he’s the gamer so we spend most nights sitting in companionable silence, me with my head stuck in a book, him with his headphones on playing video games with the cat curled up between us and it’s bliss. 🥰 so I say screw what other people think, you do you ❤
A reading partner always finds a gaming one, Im sure of it.

Mine is a gaming golden retriever and I am a blanket hag who hisses if anyone interrupts her reading. He fetches me drinks and snacks. 😆
---
I've always loved reading and I remember my granny coming to look for me in the summer holidays to find me curled up reading a book quite content. She said to me "you're never on your own when you can get lost in a book." 🥰 It has always stuck with me.
I don't think of reading as lazy, but I find I prefer to read over doing housework, for example. Then I feel bad I've not done my housework and prioritised reading but I love it so I'll just live with the dust. 😂
@Caffeine Fiend I have tried setting a timer for doing my housework and that's helped as I know it's only half an hour or whatever then I can get back to reading. It also reminds me of how much you can get done in a short period of time.
Timers for the win 🎉 I also read when I should be doing house bits. Oh well 🙈

• Heart
  • Haha

OhDearFords

Chatty Member
Finished Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah - 4.75 stars for me, brilliant book! Loved it. Felt the opening half was a little slow going but once the other narrative picked up it was just fantastic. Tear jerker too, which doesn't usually get me but this did. Would recommend for sure!

• Heart

cill2019

VIP Member
I’ve just been looking at Jodi Picoults new book to pre order…. £20 for a paperback!!! 😳😳😳 I am shooketh

• Wow

Honeystar

VIP Member
I’m making my way very quickly through Preloved and so far I think it may be my book of the year so far. I love the concept of the items in the charity shop, and see a lot of myself in the main character 😂😂

• Heart
  • Wow