Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

killtheold

i've been feeling a bit bored with reading at the moment - just checked my goodreads and i haven't read a single 5 star book this year! really need to get stuck into something mindblowing

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

Elle

VIP Member
I know writers write what they know Sally Rooney and her brown haired plain tortured literary girlies. However it doesnt always work. It does for Sal though.
Oh, did someone say Sally Rooney who wrote Normal People, the TV adaptation of which stars Paul Mescal???
1000017776.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Resting and self care are as important a part of life as any other. If you never fill your cup then how can you keep pouring? I have a constant to-list in my head but rarely the motivation to do the doing! And actually, for me, reading felt like the only way to pass time that was worthwhile. Allowing myself to Netflix this year has been a revelation. We are so prone to black and white thinking. If I don’t do it all, I’m a failure, etc. @Caffeine Fiend i love your approach because it’s breaking life down into manageable bite size chunks. As someone who can find a day overwhelmingly long, I really appreciate the value in tackling it one task at a time. And being compassionate and pragmatic about what can wait! I’m actually considering seeking assessment for neurodivergence. There’s a high cooccurrence between autism/adhd and eating disorders. Many boxes ticked! Knowledge is power, right?
This is exactly where I get to. If I cant do it to 100% perfection I wont do it all. It really has hindered me so much in my life. I have very few hobbies because if I cant run a 25 min 5k inside a few days why would I want to. If I cant crochet a whole cardigan within days of picking up hooks then whats the point etc etc and on and on I go.

Diagnosis has helped me hate myself less. We got you! Xx

Last edited:
  • Heart

nbt

VIP Member
Just popping on to say I’m LOVING Prima Facie on Audible. Jodie Comer’s narration is just brilliant. If I didn’t have a partner, child and dog I needed to communicate with tonight I’d have probably just listened to it in one go.

For now though, the rest will have to wait for tomorrow *sigh*

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Have finished the No-Show book and wow what a journey. I'm one of those people who quite often goes to the ending to work out the story, but it didn't work with this book I was clueless.
I would definitely watch if turned into a book/film. Highly recommend this.
The No-Show https://g.co/kgs/JYRJEjB

• Heart

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Might have gotten carried away and treated myself. Because I deserve it and why not (that I don't need anymore books and that I should read what I already have obviously don't count as good enough reasons not to buy more books). 😆

All in the British Library Science Fiction Classics collection. I've got 4 of the crime classics I randomly bought in a charity shop, and enjoyed the 3 I've read, and liking the fourth so far. I do intend to buy more crime classics at some point, but these sci-fi classics sounded good as well, so I thought I'd get these first.

Screenshot_20240429-195455.png
Screenshot_20240429-195505.png

Justifying it as because they are all reduced from £8.99 to £3.99. And I get 10% back on Top cashback as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Elle

VIP Member
I'm reading The Women by Kristen Hannah and really enjoying it. It's my first Kristen Hannah despite owning The Nightingale.

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I is she and she is me 🤣🤣🤣🤣

How do you not crack the spine? I’m intrigued 🤣
i truly don’t know! i guess i don’t open books ALL the way or ever put them face down, and i kinda stop at regular intervals to close the book and smooth the spine (i have many weird reading quirks 🤣)

i’ve thrown mama blonde under the bus here before but she literally reads books as though she’s in them (i mean i assume she does, they look like she’s been chucking them around) and falls asleep a lot when she reads so ends up squashing them. i have her copy of this family but i might buy my own because her’s is WRECKED 💀

• Haha

QueenBW

VIP Member
I only read five books this month. Trying to finish a sixth today but probably won't get to it. The Familiar put me in a massive slump that The Inheritance Games did not solve and then tried Weyward and did nothing for me. And my Funny Story reread couldn't save me because I've been busy.

inksmear

I’m starting Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow this evening. Been on the TBR pile forever. Then I think I need to get on the EmHen train to see what you’re all talking about!

Hannahebee

VIP Member
Here are the books I read this month and I have to say it was my best reading month so far this year as I enjoyed every single book that I read.
1714481922384.png
1714481946545.png
1714482040272.png
1714482093534.png
1714482121795.png
1714482140807.png

I honestly couldn't say which book was my favourite as I rated all of them 5 stars.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Tofino

VIP Member
Here’s my April ones as I won’t finish Great Circle today.

Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella was one of my all time favourite books I’ve read a couple of times but it seems it’s 12 years since my last read! One of my goals this year is to re-read some of my all time faves and see if I still feel the same way 10+ years later.

I did wonder if I may have outgrown remember me but nope, still loved it! Quite dated but still classic Kinsella humour. It was my only five star read this month too.

Wild Love was my biggest disappointment but Chestnut Springs set the bar very high.

IMG_7135.jpeg

inksmear

I started Tomorrow x3. Howww do I care so much about these characters already, even though I couldn’t give a damn about gaming or coding? Weird.

• Wow

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Reading the last few chapters of Tomorrow x 3 but I keep stopping because I'm trying not to cry!
i loved that book. it’s a beautiful discussion of friendship but i thought it really came into its own when it actually became a book about grief and sudden loss. the whole stardew valley chapter (i can’t remember the game in the book!) is maybe one of the most beautiful pieces of writing i read last year.

• Heart
  • Wow

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Copied from Reddit re Freida McFadden:
I’m very late here but: YES. Every last one of her books is a blatant ripoff of someone else’s genius. That’s her formula. She rewrites other people’s stories with a few minor differences, and an extra twist or two. From Verity by Colleen Hoover to And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. One is basically Psycho and then we have the one that’s literally titled The Devil Wears Scrubs. Seriously, Freida? There’s another that was released in January of last year called Do You Remember It’s a regurgitation of Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson, which later became a film with Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth.

First, I don’t know how she rationalizes this in her head. Not one story with her name on it that I’ve encountered stems from place all her own. She’s either in total denial, or she’s found a way to deal with feeling like a fraud all the time.

Second, I don’t know how there aren’t more conversations about this online. Your post here may very well be the only time anyone has ever attempted to build a discussion around this. Real readers (or people who read a lot) notice and are bothered enough by it to leave reviews or comments saying as much, but, for the most part, her plagiarizing ass has pretty much avoided the radar.

Maybe this confirms something that I’ve been thinking for the past decade with rising certainty:

We really are living in a sea of vapid, image-obsessed, Lifetime-movie-loving Kardashian clones. Easily amused; easily confused.and an extra twist or two.

CommentBelow

A reading partner always finds a gaming one, Im sure of it.

Mine is a gaming golden retriever and I am a blanket hag who hisses if anyone interrupts her reading. He fetches me drinks and snacks. 😆
---

Timers for the win 🎉 I also read when I should be doing house bits. Oh well 🙈
I’m also married to a gamer!
We do watch TV together too but I’m usually doing something else at the same time some kind of craft (or scrolling 🫣 and regretting it).

The response I tend to get to how many books I’ve read in a year is ‘how do you find the time??’ So more of an inference that they’re too busy/work longer hours etc, actually my job is quite demanding and I often work into the evening but I think we all make time for the things we want if we can. I’m a night owl so isn’t unusual for me to read 11.00-00.30ish.

Also chiming in with the timers - I set a timer for a ‘power hour’ to get stuff done, usually that’s enough to get my in to the task and spend longer doing whatever boring thing it is.. tidying up. I need to know there’s an end point or I can’t start! Even with work, I’m so productive the 45-60 min before a call starts.
---
Oh I actually came to the thread to post this relating to my 3 book binge last week..

• Haha

nbt

VIP Member
Wait a minute, some people don’t buy 99p reads immediately?

View attachment 2907682

Haha in all seriousness though, that’s a really good idea. I’m going to give it a go too.
Just quoting last night me to say I’ve already bought two 99p books 👀 but in my defence they were both on my wish list and one was a John Marrs which I’m never going to say no to.

I have been better with the usual monthly deals though because I actually have to seek them out and then decide. I promise 🫣

• Haha
  • Heart

vanilla cupcakes

VIP Member
I’ve said it here before but I don’t know how frieda mcfadden gets away with it. the housemaid is literally the last mrs parrish with the ending changed, to the point where scenes are almost exactly rewritten. her books are fine imo for quick easy reads but I don’t know how she does it with no repercussions

• Wow
  • Sad

daisynoon

Chatty Member
Just saw a post about reading hour tomorrow if anyone is willing and/or able to participate! Apparently it's World Book Night (I know, I know, surely book night is every night...)

• Heart