Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

twilightgarden

VIP Member
Loved reading in the sun today. ☀ 🍷 Didn’t love dropping my kindle face down, with the cover open, on gravel 😭😭 It still works but there are 2 quite big scratches on the screen.

• Sad
Reactions: 20

Lola Ruby

Re: the whole how reading as a hobby is viewed etc discussion. I was talking with a colleague a few weeks ago and we got on the topic of books - I mentioned that I'd recently gotten back into reading. What really stuck out is that she said "yeah but really reading is just another form of escapism isn't it". Well yeah but by that logic - you could say the same of anything people enjoy like watching TV, listening to music etc. We don't have to be 'productive' 24/7. Such a weird view to have. I've never thought of reading as being on the same level as binge watching TV shows for example.

Reactions: 19

nbt

VIP Member
A gate sign I walked past yesterday, that I think a lot of us would welcome from time to time 😏

IMG_2111.jpeg

• Haha

LaBlonde

VIP Member
my april reads (a very mixed bag 🤣)

the new life - tom crewe ⭐⭐⭐⭐
adventures of amina al-sirafi - shannon chakraborty ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
this could be everything - eva rice 😴😴
demon’s guide to wooing a witch - sarah hawley ⭐⭐⭐
shrines of gaiety - kate atkinson ⭐⭐⭐⭐
paris daillencourt is about to crumble - alexis hall ⭐⭐⭐
sad girl novel - pip finkemeyer 😟😟
psyche and eros - luna mcnamara ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Elle

VIP Member
Hello! I’m new to the book threads but am avid book work and have a TBR list as long as my arm (400 books on Goodreads 😂) and a pile of
Books so high to read but keep getting others out from the library.
I’ve read 10 books so far this year and on #11.
Currently reading The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis.
Welcome to Book Addicts Anonymous, where your addiction will be enabled and encouraged 🤓

• Haha
  • Heart

lilamay

VIP Member
One thing that does appeal to me with a kindle is I'd feel more able to read certain books in public. Like...

51KUUCxdLJL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg

• Haha

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Re: the whole how reading as a hobby is viewed etc discussion. I was talking with a colleague a few weeks ago and we got on the topic of books - I mentioned that I'd recently gotten back into reading. What really stuck out is that she said "yeah but really reading is just another form of escapism isn't it". Well yeah but by that logic - you could say the same of anything people enjoy like watching TV, listening to music etc. We don't have to be 'productive' 24/7. Such a weird view to have. I've never thought of reading as being on the same level as binge watching TV shows for example.
i think they’re all different versions of the same thing tbh - like said above. they’re all escapism in different ways and they’re all the consuming of creative media in different ways. i’m not a huge fan of the argument that watching tv requires less brain power than reading (i think you start getting into shaky ground there in terms of is reading classic literature using more brain power than reading fluffy romances, or is watching theatre more highbrow than watching a tv show. even with the difference between audiobooks and a page).

they’re all making you view/listen to something (be it reading in all its forms, tv, theatre, music in all its genres) and interpreting it for yourself. all equally valid imo 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart

CommentBelow

Just finished Funny Story.. my new Emily Henry ranking…

1 - Book Lovers
2 - Funny Story
3 - You and me on vacation
4 - Beach Read (TBR)
5 - Anything else EmHen has written eg. Insta post
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 - Happy Place

• Haha
  • Heart

nbt

VIP Member
Wait a minute, some people don’t buy 99p reads immediately?

pvvtoft4u39wxv8sb4c11bv&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif

Haha in all seriousness though, that’s a really good idea. I’m going to give it a go too.

• Haha
  • Heart

SaintLeo

VIP Member
The whole “reading v watching films and tv as pass times” discussion is so interesting! I love doing all depending on the mood I’m in. In my mind they’re actually pretty similar activities - they’re all about consuming and enjoying stories. Sometimes I do it with images I create through my own imagination, other times someone else does that creative stuff for me.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across the view that reading is lazy before, or if I have I’ve been oblivious to it!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

grannypants

VIP Member
Joining this thread, hello lovely fellow bookworms! 🐛

Has anyone read Alice Hoffman’s books? I started recently and I’ve been INHALING the Practical Magic series, I love them so much! I can’t wait to read her other books (she’s written 40 😍)

There‘s absolutely nothing better than finding an author that you love and discovering that they’ve written loads of books for you to devour 🥰

• Heart

nbt

VIP Member
April reads 💐

The Satsuma Complex was a 5 star read for me. I also really enjoyed WAWIT, TGWATG and May Contain Nuts (they were all recommend here so thank you my lovely book friends!)

0AB30BD6-9CD6-4FF8-B4EB-BE8B5F64A6BD.jpeg

• Heart

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I love my Kindle, I was on a 2.5hr train yesterday, on a journey which was longer than expected because of temporary speed restrictions, with no phone reception. Thank goodness I remembered to pack it. I was travelling light and practically squeezed the thing into my bag :ROFLMAO: I couldn't have done that with a paperback. I had also left my earbuds at home so couldn't listen to a book.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I cannot recommend enough adding any 99p deals on the 1st to your wishlist and buying on the last day. Ive wittled 8 to 2.

Its really stopped me impulse buying.

• Heart
Reactions: 17