Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StatusWoe

VIP Member
if you liked it then “the letters between six sisters” anthology by diana’s daughter-in-law is a really good read. they were a fascinating group of women; though i’ve never read hons and rebels, the only one whose writing i’ve read is nancy’s (and while i liked the pursuit of love it was all a bit too knowing for me).

i absolutely love reading about that time period though: something about those debutante balls and gin fizzes and jazz (and, i suppose, a whole tragic generation of beautiful young people) really works for me. i might give it a try!
Thanks for the recommendation! I think Nancy was a better writer, but Jessica comes across as less cynical.

It's definitely an interesting time period. I should mention that she emigrated to America, so the latter part of the book has a very different feel to the earlier bits in England (not better or worse - just different). It's funny how they didn't recognise terms like 'soap opera'! All the Americanisms have since become part of UK speech, so it's strange to see how unfamiliar they were not so long ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Ginnyjo

VIP Member
I'm really surprised at the Pierce Brosnan casting. Very bizarre. Other than that pleased with Mirren and Kingsley. Ray Winston was the obvious choice for Ron but he is too young. I'd have gone for someone like Malcolm McDowell.

With the age of this cast I hope they make about 3 films back to back :ROFLMAO:
after seeing Pierce in the pics for Prince Naseems biopic it makes a bit more sense now :)

Ginnyjo

VIP Member
i read this really quickly and thought it said that you’d EATEN it and loved it and was like wow that’s a really casual detail to drop in there 🤣

house of leaves is an experience and a really cool example of how formatting and print etc can elevate reading and set a mood. i truly don’t think it would work on a kindle. i remember it being more unsettling than scary, but just a really well done book in general.
Oh yes, do not kindle it! it needs a proper book to do it justice.
The only thing similar I've come across is the thompson experiment on tiktok, its so weird and creepy

Lavender425

None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell is brilliant on audio.
Depending on what your thing is Prophet Song and Before My Actual Heart Breaks are both very very good too
Thanks I’ll look into those too! Yes, I really loved the narration of None of This is True on audio - probably my fav listen so far this year.

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I know!! And the whole time I was reading the last chapter sitting on the rain was just irritating me.
same!!! i spent that whole rain scene being like “dude grow a BACKBONE” (josh? was his name josh?) the ease with which he seemed chill with all of her behaviour was just wild to me, and holly bourne just never truly sold what she actually felt about him. it would have been braver to end it with him walking away but i knew she wouldn’t do that

CommentBelow

I have all 5 and Im not sure Id recommend it. I feel like the writing was quite juvenile.

Its like Gossip Girl x Made In Chelsea.

The full theme of the first book is around a relationship but Im not sure Id describe it as a romance book tbh.
Chiming in to agree.
I’m disappointed - I was hoping to get into the series and by get into I mean get mildly obsessed with.. next time I’m near The Works I’m hoping I can find Binding 13 and ignore adulting for 800+ pages.

• Heart

tp1986

The Wicked King is the 2nd in the ‘Folk of the Air’ Trilogy, got the first on a kindle 99p deal, then this one and the third on prime reading. I don’t really care much for the characters but it‘s easy reading and now I’m halfway through the third one I want to see where it ends.
Ohh I really enjoyed this trilogy, much prefer this one to HB's more recent stuff. Do let us know what you think of the third.

nbt

VIP Member
I didn't get the Audible offer and I have terrible FOMO.

Listening to Funny Story and loving it. Halfway through and it is my fave Em Hen by far!
It’s valid til 5th June so plenty of time for you to get it. Manifesting it for you 🕯🧘🏼‍♀️☺

Custard cream

Has anyone finished Funny Story? What’s your verdict? I got a Waterstones voucher for my birthday and I’m itching to spend it but I hated Happy Place so am a bit reluctant!

capriallie

VIP Member
I’m in a massive reading slump at the moment :(
Any suggestions that aren’t romance that will get me out of the slump ?
good thrillers, lit fic etc
Have you read Demon Copperhead? That got me out of my slump after Xmas!

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Finished the audiobook of Funny Story by Emily Henry yesterday. Only started it on Monday but I flew through it. Loved it so much!

I have only previously read Book Lovers prior to this but have them all on my kindle, just not got round to reading. Which would you recommend next? I know you weren't fans of Happy Place.

Also, Julia Whelan is my favourite narrator, I don't know whether to just get them on Audible now 🤦‍♀️🤣
Julie Whelan is my favourite too 😍

CommentBelow

I love seeing all the fun annotations and tabs people do on social media but I can't imagine doing it myself! I think partly because I too am an impatient troll but also because I had to annotate and tab for English classes at school and I get flashbacks :ROFLMAO:
Haha also impatient and it gives me study flashbacks. Honestly, I’ve spent some many years in eduction, then a challenging professional qualification.. I don’t think I can touch another sticky tab.
My other issue is I’m a bit too liberal with a highlighter so the book would probably just end up a pink mess.
---
I pre ordered both of these 🤣 one arrived. One has not
I resisted both.
Then bought ‘You are here’ at the station yesterday and will probably buy Funny Story if I trip and fall into a WHSmith tomorrow (assuming it’s half price)… there could be worse addictions.. probably..

capriallie

VIP Member
I struggled until middle of reading heir of fire and then everything came together and LOVED it. i did skip one book though (book 6) and a i know alot of other fans did.

if you still dont like it after this book then its best to say you probably wont enjoy the rest of the series
I enjoyed the 2nd one (is it crown of midnight? I keep forgetting their names!) but finding it dragging atm as everyone is doing separate things and it’s switching between celaena, manon, chaol and Dorian!

Elelel

I’m in a massive reading slump at the moment :(
Any suggestions that aren’t romance that will get me out of the slump ?
good thrillers, lit fic etc

cill2019

VIP Member
nor borrow box but i had access to the New York Public Library for a while and they offer Kindle so it can be done.. i just dk why they don't for UK libraries.. i mean who wants to read on a phone seriously?
I wonder what the issue is? Technology or bureaucracy?

capriallie

VIP Member
oh i get that with prep (the marketing did it wrong imo) - i think i find her hit and miss sometimes because her books can be “not much is happening but i’ll explain it beautifully” - like the drive cross country in romantic comedy where we stopped at every gas station with her and every shower/brush of teeth etc 🤣

rodham was a missed opportunity i think and i wish she’d fictionalised it like american wife. you still know who american wife is about obviously but bill and hillary being themselves was just too much. i enjoyed it but i think and agree that she missed the mark in the final third in particular. and the sex scenes were too much, too much!

the concept of fiction about real people is a minefield to me though. harry styles is on his sixth film (as of this year) based on books with characters who are meant to be him and i always wonder if it makes him feel weird.

(this was very rambly sorry i’ve had a huge iced coffee and that was a mistake this early in the day 🤣)
No these are good ramblings that I all agree with!

• Heart