Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Had no idea it wasn’t finished, I hate reading series that aren’t finished! I have no patience!
yes! i think they’re intended to be seven books - the first two were published quite close together but there was something like a 4-5 year wait for the third and no sign of the fourth (and i’m sure it’s been about ten years). they’re great reads though, even with the wider series being unfinished.
---
You can’t get it on kindle, paperback only, which makes sense from the bit of it I have seen. I don’t like thinking too hard when I read and it looks like a tough read. Did you read it all, footnotes, all the extra bits, everything? I’m worried that I’ll either get so freaked out it’ll end up in the freezer like in Friends or I won’t have a clue what’s going on and any discussion I’ve found so far seems purposefully obscure. It seems that everyone also has a different method of reading it too.
gently, i don’t think it’s a book to try if you don’t like thinking too hard when you read. there are a lot of footnotes, it gives you instructions on what pages to go to next etc, it’s almost like studying a text in places rather than reading a novel. it’s a really cool and completely unique reading experience, but it’s not an easy one.

• Wow
Reactions: 1

CommentBelow

I accidentally stayed up until 1am finishing Binding 13, I don’t know how or when I got so invested in Shannon and Johnny as I am but I’m eyeing Keeping 13 as I yawn and drink coffee.

• Heart

OhDearFords

Chatty Member
I finished The Idea of You yesterday, by Robinne Lee. I really enjoyed it. It was pretty spicy, and I really liked a lot of the settings.

There was definitely the need to wilfully suspend disbelief though, this stunning 40 year old woman with a teenage daughter who can go gallavanting at the drop of a hat, but it all added to the 'if only...' kind of wishful thinking. I did find the object of her desires somewhat one dimensional, but he was endearing nonetheless and I can see how a certain boyhood charm can woo even us older ladies ;) A lot of art references too which I liked. I would have liked it to have ended differently though.

nbt

VIP Member
Anyone read any books by John O'Farrell? I've just finished Family Politics and think he writes brilliantly, he is a satirical genius. I just love his sense of humour, subtle, sardonic, dry and for me, laugh out loud funny. I remember a few years back reading one of his called May Contain Nuts, a send up of pushy posh mums desperate to get their 11 year olds into the right school, and was reading it and laughed out loud so loud. Trouble is I was on the train at the time, looked up and everyone was staring at me which made me giggle more.
No but you’ve made me want to! Will add a couple of his to my wish list 😊

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Might have mentioned this on an earlier thread, but I read Hons and Rebels, Jessica Mitford's autobio. It's an experience! She came across as quite sheltered and naive, which I suppose she was thanks to her cloistered upper-class childhood. I also got the sense that she skipped over tragic life events because she didn't want to dwell on them. It's completely understandable, but obviously not ideal in an autobiography where you want to hear about all aspects of the writer's life.

She writes very well about her eccentric upbringing. I enjoyed the humour (there's a lot of humour), and the digs at the conventions of her social class. It was interesting to read a first-hand account of a debutante going to Buckingham Palace to be 'presented' to the Queen. Really a snapshot of a different age. Sometimes the humour leads to problems with the tone; there's a lot of racism in the book, not from Jessica herself, but from the people around her. Unity Mitford, her sister, was a fervent Nazi who inserted herself into Hitler's social circle and ended her life when the war was declared. That's heavy stuff and the breezy tone sits uneasily alongside these sections.

These criticisms probably make it sound as though I didn't enjoy the book, but it was a good read and I'd recommend it to others. Definite content warning for racism and all kinds of prejudice though.
if you liked it then “the letters between six sisters” anthology by diana’s daughter-in-law is a really good read. they were a fascinating group of women; though i’ve never read hons and rebels, the only one whose writing i’ve read is nancy’s (and while i liked the pursuit of love it was all a bit too knowing for me).

i absolutely love reading about that time period though: something about those debutante balls and gin fizzes and jazz (and, i suppose, a whole tragic generation of beautiful young people) really works for me. i might give it a try!

also: currently fighting for my life through sad girl novel by pip finkemeyer and thinking about that conversation we had a few pages back about unlikeable characters because god she’s irritating. hoping for some kind of self realisation moment because, really good, actually did this exact thing in a much more entertaining (imo) way.

Last edited:
  • Heart

tp1986

I think the 5th book is out!
It is because I have it. Why? No idea as Ive only read the first
Oh wow I need to get to a bookshop then! Thanks ladies.
---
Ack I've just googled it and realised I've somehow skipped a book and thought the fifth was the fourth. So annoyed with myself although not sorry to miss another book of Daisy footnotes as I found that really hard to follow.
I will try and edit the post above as it has spoilers for the fifth book not the fourth as I thought it was.

JLXRD

VIP Member
I really enjoyed Carrie Soto although I know it's not everyone's favourite TJR. But I do love a game of tennis so it was right up my street.
I’ve read dj&the 6, seven husbands and Malibu rising. Are her other books worth a read? Conscious I’ll have run out of the ones set in that little world by then but don’t hear much about her others.

MarriotBonvoy

Chatty Member
For anyone who has read Black Cake, how did you find it?

i’m finding it hard to really get into it as it has so many different perspectives (unless that changes down the line) only about 100 pages but have had 5 different perspectives so far!
Read it last year in two weeks and binged the series in a week

it did get a bit confusing and slightly overly woke at one point but I really enjoyed it!
especially the aspects of her early life in Jamaica and when she moves …

emmer_moans

VIP Member
The Thursday Murder Club film cast has been announced (well, three of them).

One is obvious (Elizabeth), one is a surprise (Ron) and one is very surprising (Ibrahim).

I'm hoping for Julie Walters to be announced as Joyce!
Omg wow, I'm impressed, and yes, Ron is definitely a surprise to me. I do hope Julie is cast as Joyce!

Last edited:

LaBlonde

VIP Member
View attachment 2918888

I loved loved loved this book so very much. I was initially drawn to it because of the similarity to Red, White and Royal Blue, but was quickly swept up in the unique love affair of Patrick and Will. Seeing the author’s dedication at the end to The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay (@LaBlonde !), their inspiration, and one of my all time favourite books, was just the icing on the cake.
cara!!! you know my feelings on kavalier and clay - this sounds absolutely DELIGHTFUL and now i can’t wait to read it (especially with the rwrb comparison too) 💙

• Heart

tp1986

I finished it last night, enjoyed the ending and how it all came out alright in the end! I was trying to figure out what would happen to the serpent, how the prophecy could work and how she was going to get one over on Madoc. I gave them a solid 4 stars as they were easy, interesting reads but I didn’t have a huge amount of empathy for the characters. They still didn’t quite get me like the ACOTAR books.
I completely agree with your summary I found the characters hard to warm to, and although I liked her world building, it was definitely no ACOTAR- but easy enough to read/enjoy.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I enjoyed it (wasn't a wow, think I gave it 3*) but it is definitely one of her weaker ones. I was the same that the mystery kept me reading but whew was it too long! I preordered it cos I generally love her books and when it arrived in hardback I was like 😬 at the weight of it haha.
this is where i’m at, it’s just too long. it’s almost so long that the length is just diluting how interesting the actual mystery itself was (the way they keep going over and over it). jess is probably her weakest lead character too, she’s so dull. three stars seems fair to me so far!

Marylou

VIP Member
For anyone who has read Black Cake, how did you find it?

i’m finding it hard to really get into it as it has so many different perspectives (unless that changes down the line) only about 100 pages but have had 5 different perspectives so far!
I searched through my Goodreads earlier to see what rating I gave this book, couldn't find it for love nor money. Checked my written record and my kindle app, still no joy. Finally scrolled through my Kindle and found it in my "woeful" folder, unfinished at only 15% read.

Knew that I didn't like the book but never realised I cast it aside 😂

Trixxx

VIP Member
I'm one of the oddities who did like Happy Place but Beach Read is my very favourite and so I'd suggest that next! It was her first in this adult romance category (before these I think she wrote some YA books, which I haven't read!)
Thank you! I realised I have spotify as well which includes the audiobooks (sorry to the people who don't pay, but at least you don't pay 😊), so I'm going to download this and start tonight.
I enjoyed Book Lovers which I read a while ago, but I preferred Funny Story, not sure if it was because of the story or because I listened to it.

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
I have had a Kindle since they get first came out, Kindle 1 the one with the stupid keyboard and the actual buttons to press to change r page. It was thick and heavy and cost about £400. My husband got it for me for my birthday, I want to say around 2006/7.

View attachment 2914423
seeing that reminds me of the first time I met Roger from The Cure and he took a look at my phone and said wow can you only speak to people in the 1980s? Then he insisted on taking a pic and posting it on his private Instagram,,

Oh and speaking of Kindles and books are any of you looking for /interested in book and Kindle sleeves ? I have bought a ton off a lovely Bookstagrammer/friend Kelsy who makes really high quality ones. I don't usually like to plug things but she's been struggling financially in a really bad way for the last few years since Covid hit her moms business. I've even bought things off her in the past I didn't need just to keep her going but I can't afford to right now. She has a shop on etsy. goodvibesgoodbooks - Etsy UK and her IG is goodvibesgoodbooks.

Last edited: