Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just bought the new John Marrs book - £8.99 for the Kindle version!!! The paperback is cheaper 😱😱 I don’t think I’ve paid over £5 for a kindle book in years.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I finished Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult and I gave it a 3/5. She has a lot of books and I generally like the whole moral conflict stuff she does. Any suggestions of good ones to read from her please?

I have already read My Sisters Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, House Rules and The Tenth Circle.

Just bought the new John Marrs book - £8.99 for the Kindle version!!! The paperback is cheaper 😱😱 I don’t think I’ve paid over £5 for a kindle book in years.
The paperback isn't out for a few months though is it? The hardback was only released in the week.

I’ve just booked a holiday and my first consideration is ‘what shall I take to read?’

Just Kindle = save on luggage space (obvs)
A couple of 300-400 page paperbacks from my TBR = tick a few off a few from my 24 in 2024
Chunky paperback = good opportunity to read books I’ve been putting off due to length (I’m side eyeing Goldfinch and Love Songs of WEB Du Bois)
*cough* or shop for entirely new books

Reactions: 3
I finished Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult and I gave it a 3/5. She has a lot of books and I generally like the whole moral conflict stuff she does. Any suggestions of good ones to read from her please?

I have already read My Sisters Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, House Rules and The Tenth Circle.
Plain Truth, Handle with Care, Keeping Faith and Change of Heart are all really good

Reactions: 2
I’ve just booked a holiday and my first consideration is ‘what shall I take to read?’

Just Kindle = save on luggage space (obvs)
A couple of 300-400 page paperbacks from my TBR = tick a few off a few from my 24 in 2024
Chunky paperback = good opportunity to read books I’ve been putting off due to length (I’m side eyeing Goldfinch and Love Songs of WEB Du Bois)
*cough* or shop for entirely new books
I take my kindle and a couple of paperbacks just in case. Just as well I do because last year, when I went on holiday I realised I had forgotten to pack my kindle!

Thank goodness for a sunny weekend.

I've posted through The unspeakable acts of Zina Pavlou in 2 days.

It's fiction but based on a true story of the penultimate woman to be hanged in the UK.

Reactions: 4
I finished The List by Yomi Adegoke this evening. I gave it 3/5 stars. A really strong premise but lost its way in the middle - it became quite repetitive and nothing much happened.
The twist at the end was not enough to save it, I’m afraid. I also don’t really like it when books introduce another character right at the end, it feels dishonest.

I am glad I read it though and it was an excellent idea. And I swear she was influenced by tattle! 👋🏻

Reactions: 5
The paperback isn't out for a few months though is it? The hardback was only released in the week.
Oh I didn’t even spot that. I never click on the paperback or hardback options as only buy Kindle versions.

I read 12% last night and I’m gripped! I felt so sick when the dad with the baby who had croup shook her death, I could see it coming and was hoping the wife would appear - devastating (even if it isn’t a real baby!).

@HoGi @Katykatykaty

I have The Family Experiment reading FOMO. I’m so slow atm, I still need to get through my current read before I can start this!

I read a book.over 20 years ago which I lost. I absolutely loved this book and some of the characters have stayed with me. I've searched and searched for it but sadly couldn't remember the title or the author. I've done random searches for it over the years with whatever keywords I could think of but no luck. This morning, woke up and just had a string feeling I should search again for it and I FOUND IT!! It's a family saga, called The Flowers Of The Field by Sarah Harrison. I've ordered it in paperback just hope I still love it as much as I did!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
@HoGi @Katykatykaty

I have The Family Experiment reading FOMO. I’m so slow atm, I still need to get through my current read before I can start this!
You’ll get there! It’ll be waiting for you in all its glory (if it continues as good as it’s started, but then it’s John Marrs so we know it will) when you’re ready!

• Heart
I thought the sunny weekend would get me out of my slump but alas I got sick 😭 determined to make sure May isn't as dismal as April in terms of reading
I have a library book due back on Wednesday and I'm unable to renew so I need to speed read tonight and tomorrow

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I read a book.over 20 years ago which I lost. I absolutely loved this book and some of the characters have stayed with me. I've searched and searched for it but sadly couldn't remember the title or the author. I've done random searches for it over the years with whatever keywords I could think of but no luck. This morning, woke up and just had a string feeling I should search again for it and I FOUND IT!! It's a family saga, called The Flowers Of The Field by Sarah Harrison. I've ordered it in paperback just hope I still love it as much as I did!
Aww brilliant, I hate when you hear a bit of an obscure song and you don't know what it is for ages until you hear it again and whip out the Shazam app and finally know what it is :ROFLMAO: I hope you enjoy your book ❤

I had the same. Think it was called The Countess Below Stairs. Searched for years for it, and then suddenly found it under a different title. You've reminded me to dig it out of the bookcase for a reread. 😁
I'll check out your recommendation.

Reactions: 1

In my opinion Small Great Things and The Pact are two of her much better books.

So glad you found it.

I’ve had a book in my head from when I was about ten and I’ve never found it - I think I’ve mentioned it here before in the hopes of finding it. I have zero idea what it was called but it was a children’s book where two children (maybe siblings) slipped through some hedges and found themselves in a wood where one of them got a thorn in their foot/hand/other body part which made them ill. The other child had to go and get help as the child with the thorn got sicker and sicker. There was also some kind of animal companion maybe a lion or a wolf and I think a witch of some sorts. The usual suggestions I get are Narnia and Hansel and Gretel - it’s neither of these. I read it in around 1995ish but it could have been an older story, I really have no idea.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.