Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love my Kindle, I was on a 2.5hr train yesterday, on a journey which was longer than expected because of temporary speed restrictions, with no phone reception. Thank goodness I remembered to pack it. I was travelling light and practically squeezed the thing into my bag :ROFLMAO: I couldn't have done that with a paperback. I had also left my earbuds at home so couldn't listen to a book.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh I really enjoyed it! But according to this thread and on Goodreads I’m in the minority!😂
Same here!
I wish I’d take a photo of the ‘dog google searches’ page before I put it away in box though lol

I haven’t read any of her other books though so probably helped that I didn’t have any expectations.
My mum’s been reminding me to read American Wife for years though.. maybe this will be the year!
---
Loved reading in the sun today. ☀ 🍷 Didn’t love dropping my kindle face down, with the cover open, on gravel 😭😭 It still works but there are 2 quite big scratches on the screen.
I have a mark/crack on my screen from a key which I seem to have got used to. Mr Comment has asked me if I want a new Kindle for various occasions and I always end up saying no.. although that could be because he bought me this one and I can’t admit that shoving it in a bag without a case caused an issue 🫢

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Same here!
I wish I’d take a photo of the ‘dog google searches’ page before I put it away in box though lol

I haven’t read any of her other books though so probably helped that I didn’t have any expectations.
My mum’s been reminding me to read American Wife for years though.. maybe this will be the year!
american wife is wonderful (and her absolute best book imo) - would definitely bump it up your list for this year 😉💙 i really enjoyed prep and rodham too (though rodham is a concept that very much is on the line of being ick 🤣)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I read Prep when it first came out, they were marketing it as ‘for those that love Gossip Girl/The OC’ (I can’t remember which). I found it very long and dull, nothing really happened and I didn’t care for any of the characters.

I finished The Wake-Up Call by Beth O’Leary yesterday, an easy read but I found it a bit frustrating that the plot is based on a misunderstanding, why didn’t Izzy just say ‘I hate you because I gave you a Christmas card saying I liked you and you snogged my flatmate instead.’ To which Lucas would have replied, ‘WTF are you talking about? You wrote a bad Christmas cracker joke in mine’ end book.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
american wife is wonderful (and her absolute best book imo) - would definitely bump it up your list for this year 😉💙 i really enjoyed prep and rodham too (though rodham is a concept that very much is on the line of being ick 🤣)
I really want to read American Wife! I found prep really boring and kept waiting for anything of note to happen. The premise of Rodham hooked me in but I found the Bill Clinton sex scenes VERY icky and ended up finishing it just to say I didn’t DNF it. I can’t even remember most of it but I do remember it not being as interesting as it could’ve been

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I really want to read American Wife! I found prep really boring and kept waiting for anything of note to happen. The premise of Rodham hooked me in but I found the Bill Clinton sex scenes VERY icky and ended up finishing it just to say I didn’t DNF it. I can’t even remember most of it but I do remember it not being as interesting as it could’ve been
oh i get that with prep (the marketing did it wrong imo) - i think i find her hit and miss sometimes because her books can be “not much is happening but i’ll explain it beautifully” - like the drive cross country in romantic comedy where we stopped at every gas station with her and every shower/brush of teeth etc 🤣

rodham was a missed opportunity i think and i wish she’d fictionalised it like american wife. you still know who american wife is about obviously but bill and hillary being themselves was just too much. i enjoyed it but i think and agree that she missed the mark in the final third in particular. and the sex scenes were too much, too much!

the concept of fiction about real people is a minefield to me though. harry styles is on his sixth film (as of this year) based on books with characters who are meant to be him and i always wonder if it makes him feel weird.

(this was very rambly sorry i’ve had a huge iced coffee and that was a mistake this early in the day 🤣)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
At this point I need to start a @LaBlonde TBR stack 🤗

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
oh i get that with prep (the marketing did it wrong imo) - i think i find her hit and miss sometimes because her books can be “not much is happening but i’ll explain it beautifully” - like the drive cross country in romantic comedy where we stopped at every gas station with her and every shower/brush of teeth etc 🤣

rodham was a missed opportunity i think and i wish she’d fictionalised it like american wife. you still know who american wife is about obviously but bill and hillary being themselves was just too much. i enjoyed it but i think and agree that she missed the mark in the final third in particular. and the sex scenes were too much, too much!

the concept of fiction about real people is a minefield to me though. harry styles is on his sixth film (as of this year) based on books with characters who are meant to be him and i always wonder if it makes him feel weird.

(this was very rambly sorry i’ve had a huge iced coffee and that was a mistake this early in the day 🤣)
No these are good ramblings that I all agree with!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Have a look at Close to home by Michael Magee (if you haven't already read/listened to it).

Might be your kind of book as it gives me Normal People/Douglas Stewart (but not traumatic) vibes.
I have listened to it already 😂🙈 I love that you all know me so well. I think I used a credit on it.

It was fantastic. I loved it. I got an ARC of Exile by Aimee Walsh and its similar. I loved it too.

Reactions: 5
I haven't posted for a little while because I was in a reading funk (I say that, but I did read 10 books in April, however 75% of them were trashy romance novels that are super easy to read), however I started reading Strange Sally Diamond yesterday and I'm really enjoying it! It gives me Eleanor Oliphant vibes, which is one of my favourite novels. I've also started Yellowface which I am also enjoying. I think it's going to be a good reading month :)

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Had a lovely day listening to Harry Potter ❤ Stephen Fry is fabulous. I needed something light after Saving Noah 💔 and this is perfect

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Spent my weekend reading Evie Alexander's Foxbrooke series, fun and frothy romances (honestly, I'm not especially a fan of the aristocracy but it really gets me in fiction).

Got to try and turn my mind to more serious books before my library loans expire (again)...

I finished Twisted Love and what a steaming pile of crap that was 😆😆 and yet I kinda loved it??? Ha

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.