Books #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I usually snoop on this thread but thought I’d finally post & see if anyone can recommend a book for me? I’ve been in a reading slump so far this year but just finished Seven Summers in 1 sitting so feel like maybe I need something along the same lines? These are some of my faves from last year for context:

First lie wins
Someone I used to know
The things we leave unfinished
None of this is true
One true loves
After I do
A tonne of Colleen Hoover

there’s defo a theme but also like a thriller too - just a decent story, maybe something I don’t see coming, or a really nice love story! Thank you 🧡🧡
I adore Paige Toon and find she really gets me out of a slump. I highly recommend Only Love Can Hurt Like This 💔😩❤ oh Anders 😩❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
There are so many great Japanese translated fiction so don't be put off by Before The Coffee Gets Cold. I loved Convenience Store Woman and Norwegian Wood is a classic.
norwegian wood (or any murakami actually) is glorious - no one does it like him. i absolutely love japanese lit usually, btcgc just verged too much on twee for my taste sadly.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
There are so many great Japanese translated fiction so don't be put off by Before The Coffee Gets Cold. I loved Convenience Store Woman and Norwegian Wood is a classic.
I really enjoyed Convenience Store Woman and Earthlings by the same author. Both very very different books but both enjoyable in different ways.

• Heart
I adore Paige Toon and find she really gets me out of a slump. I highly recommend Only Love Can Hurt Like This 💔😩❤ oh Anders 😩❤
I forgot to add that one to the list but that was one of my 5*’s last year! 💔 There’s a couple more Paige Toon’s on my TBR but I’ve heard mixed reviews 😣

• Heart
Reactions: 2
norwegian wood (or any murakami actually) is glorious - no one does it like him. i absolutely love japanese lit usually, btcgc just verged too much on twee for my taste sadly.
Also a big Murakami fan.. although can’t remember what else (apart from NW) I’ve read.. oh 1Q84..

Twee definitely sums it up!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Never read Murakami's fictions, but his What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is a great memoir!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@DeesElectric - I started reading the Stolen Tongues prequel last night and I’m currently 40% through. I hate to say it but I’m bored. I wanted the fear wrapped up in the first part of ST but I’ve had none of that so far. I’ll keep going and hope it picks up.

Im going to go against the grain. Im someone who sticks books out even if Im not feeling it initially.

Some of my most touching and favourite reads have not been instant loves for me and took until much further into the book to click for me.

Bellies, Shuggie Bain, Beartown, Weyward all took me a while to get into.

I think it also depends on the genre of the book, I imagine if you predominantly read Thrillers / Police Procedurals then you do need that instant hook to be engaged. Whereas with literary fiction the story tends to swell and embed into you the more you read.

No right or wrong obviously but just another POV from someone who isnt a DNF-er.

That being said I have given up with a few books over the years when I just feel dread about picking them up.
Oooh, I picked up Weyward in the shop the other day. I'll probably get round to it in a few months.
---
I hate starting a book and not enjoying it, but I feel guillty by not finishing it so put myself through the pain of reading it all and wishing I never :ROFLMAO:
I am finding it easier to not feel bad DNF'ing an audiobook over a physical book. I'd reserved 3 books last month from the Borrowbox app and within half an hour of each I was like NOPE. The narrator is more likely to make me rage-quit than me reading a book in my own head, if that makes sense. Plus they are loans rather than purchases so I guess I feel less invested if it's not going to work out for me.

That said, I have also listened to and loved a few audiobooks that I never would have read sitting down, so like some historical classics that I've always wanted to read but have finally managed to do so by listening and doing chores or walking at the same time. There's some books I'll happily park my bum on a chair for and devote that time to reading and there's some I'll get through if the narration is right and I can multitask.

We are like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, ahahaha

Last edited:
  • Heart
I'm reading Happy Place by Emily Henry and it's sooo much better than Book Lovers (which I didn't finish). Still wouldn't say it's a must read but it's a fun enough read and I'm invested in finding out what happens, would be a good one to take on holiday.

I want to read Magnolia Parks I've heard such good things! My library doesn't have it so was looking to buy it but the cheaper covers are so ugly compared to the original ones 😂 I know it doesn't reallllly matter and I'm being a book cover snob but the OG ones really are so much nicer.
Just saw the full set on tik tok shop for £52.99 still pricey but a good saving Id say...

Reactions: 1
Just saw the full set on tik tok shop for £52.99 still pricey but a good saving Id say...
Ahhh I want to but just can't justify the money at least until pay day 😬 might just wait for my library to finally catch up to the hype and buy them! Some of the posts on here have made me think they won't be as great as I was thinking, some posts I'd seen made me think they were 5* level, still want to read them though ☺

Ahhh I want to but just can't justify the money at least until pay day 😬 might just wait for my library to finally catch up to the hype and buy them! Some of the posts on here have made me think they won't be as great as I was thinking, some posts I'd seen made me think they were 5* level, still want to read them though ☺
Not 5 * imo. So probably not missing out.

Book friends -
I bought 3 books while waiting for my train.
The train was only delayed 2 minutes.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
2 minutes is A LOT. what else were you meant to do?!

(what did you get? 🥰)
IKR?! Absolutely nothing else I could have done.

Gentleman in Moscow (what I went in for!)
House of Doors
Furies

The buy one get one half price is so much better at Foyles than my local Waterstones!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@emmer_moans Weyward is our April book club read if you fancy bumping it up and joining us?

I’ve not read it yet. I’m already listening to ACOMAF and reading Bride. I can’t do 3 fantasy novels in one go when I’m only just venturing into the genre 😅 it can be my next read though!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
@emmer_moans Weyward is our April book club read if you fancy bumping it up and joining us?

I’ve not read it yet. I’m already listening to ACOMAF and reading Bride. I can’t do 3 fantasy novels in one go when I’m only just venturing into the genre 😅 it can be my next read though!
I think you might have just twisted my arm, I'll bump it up 🫣🤣

I'm just finishing Moonflower Murders first.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
IKR?! Absolutely nothing else I could have done.

Gentleman in Moscow (what I went in for!)
House of Doors
Furies

The buy one get one half price is so much better at Foyles than my local Waterstones!
I really enjoyed Gentleman in Moscow! Has anyone watched the series?

Reactions: 2
I really enjoyed Gentleman in Moscow! Has anyone watched the series?
Good to hear! I’ve had it on my list for ages and the series coming out has made mw finally get round to it. I’m going to start it tomorrow, 50 pages of my current book to get through first..

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.