Books #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone listened to Crescent city (HOEAB) and enjoy the audio?
I reserved it months ago hoping I'd be finished ACOTAR but I'm still in that series so will need to return CC.
The waiting list is long again so want to know if its worth the wait 😬

Reactions: 1
Has anyone listened to Crescent city (HOEAB) and enjoy the audio?
I reserved it months ago hoping I'd be finished ACOTAR but I'm still in that series so will need to return CC.
The waiting list is long again so want to know if its worth the wait 😬
I have done all of ACOTAR, TOG and CC on audio.

They are good. I like Elizabeth Evans who narrates them.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Im going to go against the grain. Im someone who sticks books out even if Im not feeling it initially.

Some of my most touching and favourite reads have not been instant loves for me and took until much further into the book to click for me.

Bellies, Shuggie Bain, Beartown, Weyward all took me a while to get into.

I think it also depends on the genre of the book, I imagine if you predominantly read Thrillers / Police Procedurals then you do need that instant hook to be engaged. Whereas with literary fiction the story tends to swell and embed into you the more you read.

No right or wrong obviously but just another POV from someone who isnt a DNF-er.

That being said I have given up with a few books over the years when I just feel dread about picking them up.
I'm the same. There have been way too many books where I've plodded along and then been rewarded with an amazing ending which completely changed how I felt about the book, or character-driven stories that felt really slow but stuck with me after they ended because I'd spent so much time with them.

'In Acension' by Martin McInnes, for example, is my favourite book of the year so far and I was a bit bored for about two thirds of it. The final part blew me away SO much that it's 5 stars, it puts everything that went before into new context.

Likewise, A Gentleman in Moscow. I was so bored by the first half I wanted to cry. By the second half I absolutely loved it.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I'm the same. There have been way too many books where I've plodded along and then been rewarded with an amazing ending which completely changed how I felt about the book, or character-driven stories that felt really slow but stuck with me after they ended because I'd spent so much time with them.

'In Acension' by Martin McInnes, for example, is my favourite book of the year so far and I was a bit bored for about two thirds of it. The final part blew me away SO much that it's 5 stars, it puts everything that went before into new context.

Likewise, A Gentleman in Moscow. I was so bored by the first half I wanted to cry. By the second half I absolutely loved it.
Ive looked at In Acension in Waterstones so many times. Maybe I will see if the library have it.

I have done all of ACOTAR, TOG and CC on audio.

They are good. I like Elizabeth Evans who narrates them.
Jumping on here, thinking I may have misread but is there a version of ACOTAR which Elizabeth Evans narrates? I absolutely loved her narrating in TOG but haven't got round to ACOTAR with it being a different narrator from what I can see?

I have the first book, but after doing TOG through audiobook I would prefer to carey this on.

Hello! Really trying to read more these days - used to be a voracious reader, then had a child and I died of tiredness. I am reading again though, slowly but surely. I’m just about to start The Whalebone Theatre.

I usually enjoy contemporary literary fiction type books, often disappointed by (not on purpose promise) anything that ends up being massively overhyped, also as a throwback to my English Lit degrees enjoy some classics, Dickens, and have a penchant for medieval poetry though I admit that is not top of my current reading list. 😂

My husband is a science fiction fan and I had never read anything in that genre before but I’m 3 books into “The Expanse” series of books (if anyone is familiar with the TV series) and I’m really enjoying them. They’re really character driven and it’s like just a coincidence it’s set in space. 😅
I found non fiction easier when my kids were depriving me of sleep. Maybe not having to recall plot threads, characters etc helped.
I remember enjoying ‘into thin air’ especially during that time.
I feel like I have only recently started venturing back into ‘hard’ books recently and my youngest is 4! So it took a while and I still have to cushion a challenge going read with about 5 easy reads.

Reactions: 3
Anyone read Strange Sally Diamond? I loved the first three quarters of the book but the last quarter or so seemed weird and rushed and left me feeling incredibly flat. Such a shame for a book with so much promise.
I felt exactly the same.
I felt like all that charatcer building of Sally went down the drain and she essentially ended up where she was at the begining.

• Heart
Spotfiy in Ireland have just announced that if you have premium you get 15hrs of free audiobooks. I think this is already in place in the UK. I just finished A Court of Wings and Ruin last night so thinking of listening to A Court of Starlight on audio.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Jumping on here, thinking I may have misread but is there a version of ACOTAR which Elizabeth Evans narrates? I absolutely loved her narrating in TOG but haven't got round to ACOTAR with it being a different narrator from what I can see?

I have the first book, but after doing TOG through audiobook I would prefer to carey this on.
Sorry my fault for not articulating myself properly.

TOG and CC are Elizabeth Evans.

ACOTAR I think mine are all different narrators? I don't have the dramatised versions just the normal but a quick scroll looks like they differ book to book.

Spotfiy in Ireland have just announced that if you have premium you get 15hrs of free audiobooks. I think this is already in place in the UK. I just finished A Court of Wings and Ruin last night so thinking of listening to A Court of Starlight on audio.
Finally 🙌🏻

Ahhh I want to but just can't justify the money at least until pay day 😬 might just wait for my library to finally catch up to the hype and buy them! Some of the posts on here have made me think they won't be as great as I was thinking, some posts I'd seen made me think they were 5* level, still want to read them though ☺
Your library should have a way to request a book (or books)! At least, those that I've been a member of over the years have. Doesn't guarantee they'll buy it but you may as well try?

• Heart
Your library should have a way to request a book (or books)! At least, those that I've been a member of over the years have. Doesn't guarantee they'll buy it but you may as well try?
Ooo I didn't know this, will look into it thank you ☺

• Heart
I’ve just noticed audible have full cast dramatisation of ACOTAR series, I’m thinking this could be a good listen 😍

Sorry my fault for not articulating myself properly.

TOG and CC are Elizabeth Evans.

ACOTAR I think mine are all different narrators? I don't have the dramatised versions just the normal but a quick scroll looks like they differ book to book.
Thank you. This makes sense. I just misunderstood. I loved Elizabeth Evans and got a little excited thinking she may have done a ACOTAR version.

Has anybody got any recommendations of which to go for out of the normal or dramatised versions?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.