Book Club #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished it at the weekend so will look forward to talking about it - thought the acknowledgements at the end/reason for writing the book was interesting

It’s staggering that there’s no laws to prevent people with dementia getting married I genuinely thought you’d at least have to pass some sort of capacity assessment but clearly not 😮.

Reactions: 5
Finished The Stranger in Her House today! Dark and twisty but
I guess I found Paul's motivation difficult to understand and ultimately unnecessary since he was just like a full on psychopath. And also lhis all knowingness just got annoying and took me out of the book often, screaming how the hell would he know that?. I know there are super smart psychos out there but he just seemed to have God levels of omniscience.

it was a 3 star read for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Please nominate for April 💐 I’ll tally up in a weeks time so people have the weekend to buy any deals

Reactions: 1
I think I forgot to review the stranger in her house. I really enjoyed it. I think I mainly listened to the audio version. But I definitely enjoyed it.

I’m going to nominate Gray After Dark by Noelle W. Ilhi who wrote Run on Red and Ask for Andrea that I know a few people here enjoyed. It’s only been released today but it’s on KU.

Gray After Dark: A Thriller https://amzn.eu/d/alAptxd

I’ll nominate weyward

Amazon product

Three women, five centuries, one spellbinding story

In the present day, Kate flees a traumatic relationship to the Cumbrian cottage she inherited from her great-aunt; but the cottage hides secrets of its own.

In 1942, Violet rebels against her father’s ideas of a ‘proper young lady’ . . . until he takes matters into his own hands.

In 1619, Altha is on trial for witchcraft, implicated in the gruesome death of a local man.

Three women they tried to cage – but Weyward women belong to the wild. And they cannot be tamed…

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m going to nominate End of Story by Louise Swanson (aka Louise Beech).

YOU MIGHT KNOW HOW THIS STORY BEGINS. BUT YOU WILL NEVER GUESS HOW IT ENDS . . .

Once upon a time, there was a writer named Fern.

She was a bestseller. An award-winner. Loved by readers and critics alike. With her words, she changed the world.

Until her story took a turn.

Now Fern is a cleaner in a hospital. Condemned to anonymity. Because reading books has become a crime.

Only, Fern doesn't plan on going down without a fight. She'll keep writing, no matter the consequences. She will make her voice heard.

Because Fern's story is only beginning.

BUT CAN YOU GUESS HOW IT WILL END?

Reactions: 7
I’m nominating…

The Innocent One by Lisa Ballantyne

Innocent

Ten years ago, Sebastian Croll was found not guilty of murdering his playmate.

Criminal solicitor Daniel Hunter defended the eleven-year-old in a trial that gripped the nation, but the past is unearthed when Daniel gets a call from his old client.

Or guilty?

Sebastian's university professor has been brutally murdered and everyone who knew her is in the frame.

As Daniel steps in to represent Sebastian for the second time, rumour of his client's identity spreads like wildfire.

The media swarm. Threats begin to arrive. And the question on everyone's lips:

Could the child once accused of murder really be innocent?

• Wow
Nominations for Aprils read are as follows:

Weyward by Emilia Hart
@OH.FFS
- 8 votes

The Innocent One by Lisa Ballentine
@Smca53
- 7 votes

End of Story by Louise Swanson
@nbt
- 6 votes

Gray After Dark by Noelle West Ihli
@Katykatykaty
- Nul points 😢 (don’t worry Katy, as many of us are UK residents, you are amongst friends here getting nul points 😂)

So April’s read will be Weyward. This is currently 99p on Kindle.

Happy reading! 📚

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Nominations for Aprils read are as follows:

Weyward by Emilia Hart
@OH.FFS
- 8 votes

The Innocent One by Lisa Ballentine
@Smca53
- 7 votes

End of Story by Louise Swanson
@nbt
- 6 votes

Gray After Dark by Noelle West Ihli
@Katykatykaty
- Nul points 😢 (don’t worry Katy, as many of us are UK residents, you are amongst friends here getting nul points 😂)

So April’s read will be Weyward. This is currently 99p on Kindle.

Happy reading! 📚
Haha I think my error was in not including the blurb like we normally do. But I can confirm I read the book anyways, read it in 24 hours and gave it 5 stars so I highly recommended it to all you naysayers 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
I didn't vote this month but do already have Weyward but I have about 5 books I'm currently reading so I hope I get to finish them so I can join in.

Reactions: 3
I will probably buy Weyward. Ive been v strict with kindle books so havent bought the book clubs that I dont fancy (which I know defeats the purpose of a book club haha) but I bought so many picks last year that I still havent read!

I too have bought weyward. I was tempted when I saw it in WHSmith the other day so I’m glad I waited now it’s 99p lol.

Reactions: 2
If anyone has Everand (formerly Scribd), Weyward is included in the subscription, in E-book format.

Ohh hold up this is great! I've been out of the tattle book club for a while but I was already reading Weyward right now so ofc I'll join back in 🥰

Im reading it but not gonna lie Im not that into witchy stuff so Im finding it abit tedious. Im hoping it picks up though and the writing and story is good enough that I can enjoy the magic.

Finished Weyward this morning.

I dont even know where to start, I feel so emotional and completely absorbed by this book.

ive said before that this year Im really trying hard to not buy as many books and I almost didnt buy this one as I wasnt sure it would be for me and initially I was put off by the witch theme however I have fallen head over heels for this book.

The women were written so well, inspirational, powerful, tender. I feel the story transcended the witchy stuff and really drove home how powerful women can be and made me think through the years how much we have supported each other. How at times we only ever had each other.

I found the tansy leaf / petal storyline particularly topical in todays climate but so connected and relatable to the 1600s. How we have women today battling for our right to healthcare.

I loved this book, I felt engaged and excited with every womans story, Althea, Violet and Kate. Sometimes with a book where it tells 3 different stories across chapters I prefer one of the persons narratives over the other but I loved each one the same.

when the crow pecked out Simons eye I felt nothing but glee. Ironically Ive been listening to Butcher and Blackbird which also features plucked out eyes. How unique.

My first 5 star book in over 6 months. I think itl take me a long time to get over this one. Thank you @OH.FFS S for suggesting it ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I bought Weywood in the shop the other day, the pink cover drew me in but the blurb made it fall into my basket. I was going to read it later this year but as it is April's book it would be rude not to bump it up 🫣

Reactions: 6
I finished today and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I borrowed the audio book from BorrowBox.
I give it an easy 4* out of 5. Only because I’ve started BearTown series and I’m thinking this will be my 5*.

I also agree with @Caffeine Fiend in that I loved all three of the women’s stories and the satisfaction I felt when Simon got what he deserves.

I finished today and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I borrowed the audio book from BorrowBox.
I give it an easy 4* out of 5. Only because I’ve started BearTown series and I’m thinking this will be my 5*.

I also agree with @Caffeine Fiend in that I loved all three of the women’s stories and the satisfaction I felt when Simon got what he deserves.
So excited for you to read Beartown.

• Heart