Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@PiesAndLattes Sorry for your loss. ❤ I also lost a grandparent this year and it’s been tough. Your reading mojo will come back. I’ve found books great escapism and comfort.
Thank you so much and I am sorry to hear you also lost a grandparent. This is my first and it has been very tough. I miss him so so much already.

Now I got stuck into a book I totally agree, the escape has been wonderful. He also loved to read so it is nice to do something he also loved so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Audible sent me an email with 50% off for the first 4 months so if you’ve never been a member before that’s a good deal! I use BookBeat and pay £5.99 a month for 20 hours, I will say the selection isn’t as good but I can’t justify £8 a month for one book on Audible. I also use Spotify
audible is £8-£10 for one credit but there are lots of books on there included in the membership that you don’t need to spend credits on and they also often have 241 or 342
sales just in case people don’t know 😄

Reactions: 5
Hello everyone!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I hope you all had a good one.

I have been so absent after the passing of my grandfather. It understandably took the wind out of my reading sails. I started many books in December but did not finish one, I have finished None of this is true today though!

Thought I would mention my top reads of 2023:
- A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum
- The Leftover Woman by Jean Kwok
- Green Dot by Madeleine Gray

I am still trying to work out a reading goal for 2024 but I read 77 books in 2023 (after reading 6 in 2022!).
sorry for your loss. sending love ❤
audible is £8-£10 for one credit but there are lots of books on there included in the membership that you don’t need to spend credits on and they also often have 241 or 342
sales just in case people don’t know 😄
yeah tbf there are ways I could’ve made more use of the audible membership for sure. I never liked the plus catalog much but the sales can be good!

• Heart
So sorry for your loss @PiesAndLattes I can completely understand unfortunately :(

Regarding audible I very rarely pay full price, only if I forget to cancel, I take advantage of the 3 months half price and then use the fact I have an active subscription to my advantage. Use my credits on the 2 for 1 sale or buy a book when the £2.99 sale is on. They also have an ok back catalogue of free ones but its finding them thats tricky. So between that, borrow box and spotify I always have an audio book on the go. However Im on full price now and need to use my credits before I cancel so any suggestions? Ive got None of This Is True.

• Heart
Thought you folks might appreciate this.

Spent a good half hour tearing the house apart as I had lost my Kindle. Turns out Small Biscuit had hidden it in his hiding place (behind the armchair in the living room 🙈) . He has been since renamed Magpie Biscuit 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Thought you folks might appreciate this.

Spent a good half hour tearing the house apart as I had lost my Kindle. Turns out Small Biscuit had hidden it in his hiding place (behind the armchair in the living room 🙈) . He has been since renamed Magpie Biscuit 😆
I lost my kindle Christmas Day and I'm a catastrophiser (is that even a word) so 8pm Xmas night I'm telling everyone to get up, pulling the sofa cushions off and saying 'its went in the bin hasnt it, its went in the bin with the wrapping paper'

It wasnt, my OH had put it in the cupboard for safe keeping with the gift vouchers and PS5 and Switch games. 🙈🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Ok, thank you for all the suggestions for my 12 by 12. I have my final list :

1. The Quiet Tenant by Clemence Michallon (Eenymeenyminymo)
2. Take it Back by Kia Abdullan (vanilla cupcakes)
3. Happy New Year by Marlin Stehn (nbt)
4. No Exit by Taylor Adams (katykatykaty)
5. Propht Song by Paul Lynch (cill2019)
6. The Marriage Portrait by Maggie o'Farrell (LaBlonde)
7. Don't Make A Sound by David Jackson (Hannahebee)
8. A Good Girls Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson (make-mine-whiskey)
9. Penance by Eliza Clark (SwizzleMalarkey)
10. Here To Stay by Mark Edwards (Gem_woody)
11. Bright Young Women by Jessica Knoll (ToolaRoola)
12. Absolution by Caro Ramsey (caffeinefiend)

I can't make it into a pretty template. But I promise to read one of these books every single month next year. Probably not in order as I feel like Happy New Year needs to come first. This was fun, quite a few of these books would never have been on my radar and one is a re-read that is special to me. Those who suggested books that I didn't include I have already read (and enjoyed!) them.

@Caffeine Fiend if this is the start of a new 13 book series that I am hooked on then my tbr will thank.you.very.much.
I hope so! Ive read the first 2 and did enjoy them. Just havent got round to getting the third 😁

Reactions: 2
I'm reading Punk 57 on my Kindle. No idea when or why I bought this. Just gonna blame this thread with absolutely no proof or basis for my theory.

It's giving Colleen Hoover and if you know me you know I don't love the Hoover. If you're a CoHo stan you should defo check it out.

I'm only about 10% in and gonna keep going. Imagine DNFing the first book of the year?!

Also about halfway through Claire Keegan's Antarctica. I'm not typically a short story lover but it's really excellent.

It did bother me to carry this book over from 2023....not sure why I care but it's the opposite of aesthetically pleasing to do so haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Does anyone know if the 15hrs on Spotify just refreshes monthly?

Reactions: 1
I lost my kindle Christmas Day and I'm a catastrophiser (is that even a word) so 8pm Xmas night I'm telling everyone to get up, pulling the sofa cushions off and saying 'its went in the bin hasnt it, its went in the bin with the wrapping paper'

It wasnt, my OH had put it in the cupboard for safe keeping with the gift vouchers and PS5 and Switch games. 🙈🙈
Omg I am not kidding when I say this was also me last night. Except I had convinced myself I had taken it to the cinema with the kids when I knew I absolutely hadn't 😆

Mr B used to tidy my doom piles but after too many incidents like the above, he doesn't anymore.

He's seriously suggested getting an Air Tag for my Kindle/phone/keys 🙈

• Haha
Currently listening to Remarkably Bright Creatures and I want to love it but the narrators attempts at accents and different characters is making me want to claw my ears off 😩🫨

• Haha
  • Sad
I'm reading Punk 57 on my Kindle. No idea when or why I bought this. Just gonna blame this thread with absolutely no proof or basis for my theory.

It's giving Colleen Hoover and if you know me you know I don't love the Hoover. If you're a CoHo stan you should defo check it out.

I'm only about 10% in and gonna keep going. Imagine DNFing the first book of the year?!

Also about halfway through Claire Keegan's Antarctica. I'm not typically a short story lover but it's really excellent.

It did bother me to carry this book over from 2023....not sure why I care but it's the opposite of aesthetically pleasing to do so haha.
I read this in 2022 apparently and gave it 3 stars. Don’t remember it though 🤣

• Haha
Does anyone know if the 15hrs on Spotify just refreshes monthly?
Anyone happen to know if we have these 15 Spotify hours in Ireland? I have a premium account but all audio books are showing as locked & need to be paid for 🤔

Anyone happen to know if we have these 15 Spotify hours in Ireland? I have a premium account but all audio books are showing as locked & need to be paid for 🤔
Just found a Reddit post and the 15 hours appear to only be available in the UK and Australia

Reactions: 1
Currently listening to Remarkably Bright Creatures and I want to love it but the narrators attempts at accents and different characters is making me want to claw my ears off 😩🫨
Oh I loved the narrator of this!

Shows how different we all are here.

I've finished a book and Storygraph is broken! Did it even happen if it's not recorded? 😱 Can I start a new one before it's back?? 😱😱

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I have lined up all my 12 for 12 books and will be starting Happy New Year, @nbt's suggestion.

Just need to finish the two I am reading - How to Disappear by Gillian McAlliaster which is supern. And We All Want Impossible Things by Catherine Newman, which I am unsure about but it is only 200 odd pages long.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.