Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I probably wouldn’t read coho now but the tiktok hype definitely played a part in getting me reading again! agree about her portrayal of toxic relationships for sure but don’t think it’s all bad that has come from her hype.

Reactions: 5
There are quite a few options but Amazon definitely has the biggest range. Google Play Books, Apple iBooks, HiveBooks, and Kobo Store are some of the others (more info here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/ebo...to-download-free-or-cheap-ebooks-a4LRf1k9yRzw)

If you're in the apple 'ecosystem' - my Dad really likes iBooks, and reads them on his iPad.

On a related note, if you don't want to own a Kindle there are other eink readers like Kobo (this website has reviews on the new ones that came out in 2023: https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/the-best-e-readers-of-2023-one-from-each-company).

Also definitely join your library and look into their ebook offerings. Normally it'll be through Libby or BorrowBox (both of which have apps for your phone or tablet).
Thank you so much 😊

Reactions: 1
I know most of us are StoryGraph/Goodreads users, but do any of us keep a pen and paper reading journal?

Reactions: 6
I know most of us are StoryGraph/Goodreads users, but do any of us keep a pen and paper reading journal?
Not me, I use Goodreads and just started Bookmory, was mentioned on this thread so took a look and liked what I saw!

Coho is not for me but I will defend her until my last breath if shes got you back into reading.

My only disclaimer is I believe her books should be for a mature audience only as her portrayal of toxic relationships as romantic or something to aim for is concerning and I dont like the thought of 15 / 16 / 17 year olds romanticising that bullshit.
Totally agree with this and was discussing it with a friend recently. I don’t think that fiction books should be showing healthy relationships only (far from it) but gritty/real inclusion of tricky relationships is so different to CoHo’s romanticisation. Reminders of Him made me ranty.
---
I started one last year but got a bit behind!

Reactions: 3
This is what bugs me about Booktok ect, I get people passionate and opinionated about books but when they started bulling / belittling people for reading it crosses a line. There was massive thing about Rebecca Yarros & Iron Flame when it came about as well and now they're boycotting publishing houses too, like I just want to read it's not that deep lol
Yes! A book is a book, everyone has different tastes. No one is right or wrong. Booktok takes the fun out of it because heaven for fend you should enjoy a book others didn’t.
I personally loved House in The Cerulean Sea but according to booktok that makes me the devil! No I just enjoyed the book 🤷🏻‍♀️
I also absolutely hated the Midnight Library but don’t tell booktok that 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I don't like Matt Haig generally but I really liked the sound of this, read it and was bored to tears 😄
I didn’t even finish it. My toddler at the time ripped the covers off and at one stage put it in the bin 😂 he was trying to tell me something 😂

• Haha
I suffer so bad with FOMO that it even makes me want to read the books you all found truly dreadful 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
For what feels like the first time in years, I'm very proud of my restraint today! Finally took my son shopping with his Christmas money, ventured into Waterstones and after browsing and skimming different titles for almost an hour, I left with nothing 😍 I'm trying very hard to do a no spend January and also trying very hard to not buy any new books myself this year as I have over 250 on my kindle and around 30-40 physical books, but I never thought I'd leave Waterstones empty handed 😄

• Heart
This is what bugs me about Booktok ect, I get people passionate and opinionated about books but when they started bulling / belittling people for reading it crosses a line. There was massive thing about Rebecca Yarros & Iron Flame when it came about as well and now they're boycotting publishing houses too, like I just want to read it's not that deep lol
I saw something about a review boycott of Ruthless Vows but feels like it punishes the author more than the publisher. I saw a few people telling others off for posting about the book on X, like you said - feels a bit like an opportunity to belittle others rather than make any real difference.

I need to cancel my Audible before the trial runs out and have 1 credit left to use. Any recommendations? I love thrillers, crime fiction, non-fiction depending on the subject but willing to try other genres.

i’ve started none of this is true on audio and am loving the narration 🤩 really does feel like your listening to a true crime podcast at points, can see it being one of my favourite audiobooks already! i’ve listened to 3 hours worth today

• Heart
Reactions: 8
i’ve started none of this is true on audio and am loving the narration 🤩 really does feel like your listening to a true crime podcast at points, can see it being one of my favourite audiobooks already! i’ve listened to 3 hours worth today
I get my next Audible credit on Monday and planned to download this! Glad it’s good!

Reactions: 4
I’ve already read this and loved it otherwise I would use my Audible credit on it!
I think there was a companion podcast to go with the book but not sure if it’s still available.

Reactions: 2
Oh dear. I am halfway through Remarkably Bright Creatures and am finding it entirely fine. A very gentle easy read but nothing of note. I’m waiting to fall in love! Does it pick up or is this it?

Oh dear. I am halfway through Remarkably Bright Creatures and am finding it entirely fine. A very gentle easy read but nothing of note. I’m waiting to fall in love! Does it pick up or is this it?
Mhmm Id say this is it. Ive said before I found it hard to believe it was my book of the year tbh 🤣 but it was.

• Haha
  • Wow
Mhmm Id say this is it. Ive said before I found it hard to believe it was my book of the year tbh 🤣 but it was.
it’s perfectly pleasant company right now , love the short chapters, and I am certainly enjoying it more than the Booker winners I abandoned. But I reckon my expectations were just impossibly high. Entirely your fault tbh

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.