Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I left the house today and somehow stumbled into Waterstones. Woops.

I finally got Divine Rivals, glad I waited as I got the hardback for half price £7.50!!

I also got a signed copy of Friendaholic by Elizabeth Day for half price!

Was thrilled with both.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I've finished a book and Storygraph is broken! Did it even happen if it's not recorded? 😱 Can I start a new one before it's back?? 😱😱
When you log it as finished, you can change the date in the reading journal so do not fear - start your new book!

Reactions: 3
Finished Good Material by Dolly Alderton yesterday. Bloody loved it. Now powering through Single, Carefree, Mellow by Katherine Heiny. A collection of short stories. Loving it.

Reactions: 9
Finally finished The Year of the Locust. What a disappointment 😞

It was sooooo slow to get started and then that last third?! Time jumps?! Alien things?! Just urghhh

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I finished How to Disappear by Gillian McAllister yesterday. I am not usually a fan of her books, so didn't hold out high hopes. But this book had me captivated from the start, I thought her storytelling was mesmerising and I didn't see any of the twists coming.

A solid 4*, nice start to the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
I read 105 books in 2023, my busiest year yet and not bad going considering I work full time and am a single parent :ROFLMAO:

I'm currently reading The Book of Form and Emptiness by Ruth Ozeki which I was bought last year for Christmas and hadn't picked up yet - it's stunning and profound.

My top 2023 books were Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, Tomorrow x 3 by Gabrielle Zevin, The Secret History by Donna Tart and Skeleton Key by Erin Kelly. I read a lot of really good books though so it was tough!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I used to be a big Jacqueline Wilson reader when I was younger and always see loads in my local charity shops. Might pick some up when I'm next in for some nostaligic reading, plus can get through them fairly quickly :geek:

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I used to be a big Jacqueline Wilson reader when I was younger and always see loads in my local charity shops. Might pick some up when I'm next in for some nostaligic reading, plus can get through them fairly quickly :geek:
I did this a few years ago, raided the charity shops for JW books and spent ages enjoying the nostalgia 😍 I've read some of her newer books too, the ones aimed at teens and they're really good, Baby Love in particular is about a 15 year old girl who gets pregnant in 1960. Very interesting and emotive, the ending was a bit too twee for me given what the young unmarried mothers went through back then!

Reactions: 7
Morning book friends! So I’m nearly finished the book I’m on Co-Ho (don’t come for me) and I’m going fantasy next. Having never read fantasy before other than HP do I go ACOTAR or Fourth Wing?

Reactions: 4
Morning book friends! So I’m nearly finished the book I’m on Co-Ho (don’t come for me) and I’m going fantasy next. Having never read fantasy before other than HP do I go ACOTAR or Fourth Wing?
In my opinion go for forth wing first. Purely because I read that first, now reading ACOTAR and the writing is so much better, I think I wouldn't have liked forth wing as much if I read it first 😅 others here might have a completely different view though

• Heart
I’ve set my target for 52 this year. Managed 39 last year but had many months where I didn’t read anything.

Currently reading virgin suicides for book club. It’s going ok but have also started Tom Felton’s beyond the wand. Have wanted to read this for ages. I never read more than 1 book at a time as like to concentrate but this is breaking up virgin suicides for me.

Yellowface is it recommended, few friends have shared they are reading it but I’m not sure if it grabs me based on what I’ve read about it 🤔. I am trying to step out my comfort zones of genre this year but not sure about it.

Reactions: 10
one of my friends got me one of her books for my birthday 🥹 it was one of my favourite presents

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Where do people buy ebooks? Is amazon the only option?
There are quite a few options but Amazon definitely has the biggest range. Google Play Books, Apple iBooks, HiveBooks, and Kobo Store are some of the others (more info here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/ebo...to-download-free-or-cheap-ebooks-a4LRf1k9yRzw)

If you're in the apple 'ecosystem' - my Dad really likes iBooks, and reads them on his iPad.

On a related note, if you don't want to own a Kindle there are other eink readers like Kobo (this website has reviews on the new ones that came out in 2023: https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/the-best-e-readers-of-2023-one-from-each-company).

Also definitely join your library and look into their ebook offerings. Normally it'll be through Libby or BorrowBox (both of which have apps for your phone or tablet).

Last edited:
I read 105 books in 2023, my busiest year yet and not bad going considering I work full time and am a single parent :ROFLMAO:

I'm currently reading The Book of Form and Emptiness by Ruth Ozeki which I was bought last year for Christmas and hadn't picked up yet - it's stunning and profound.

My top 2023 books were Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, Tomorrow x 3 by Gabrielle Zevin, The Secret History by Donna Tart and Skeleton Key by Erin Kelly. I read a lot of really good books though so it was tough!
The Book of Form and Emptiness really was great. I had a little cry by the end.

Kicked off the year with Heir of Fire (also had a little cry) and then sped through The Defence by Steve Cavanagh on a plane yesterday. Can't go wrong with his Eddie Flynn books.

I'm now on A Touch of Darkness and well...it's not promising so far.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The Book of Form and Emptiness really was great. I had a little cry by the end.

Kicked off the year with Heir of Fire (also had a little cry) and then sped through The Defence by Steve Cavanagh on a plane yesterday. Can't go wrong with his Eddie Flynn books.

I'm now on A Touch of Darkness and well...it's not promising so far.
Ooh we’re at the same point in Throne of Glass!

In my opinion go for forth wing first. Purely because I read that first, now reading ACOTAR and the writing is so much better, I think I wouldn't have liked forth wing as much if I read it first 😅 others here might have a completely different view though
I completely agree on this! I also recommend Leigh Bardugo, Shadow & Bone / Six of Crows Duology! I started reading again in 2020 and started off on Coho / TJR then moved over to fantasy! If Coho is your vibe then go for it, we encourage all types of readers here 😁

Reactions: 3
Coho is not for me but I will defend her until my last breath if shes got you back into reading.

My only disclaimer is I believe her books should be for a mature audience only as her portrayal of toxic relationships as romantic or something to aim for is concerning and I dont like the thought of 15 / 16 / 17 year olds romanticising that bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Coho is not for me but I will defend her until my last breath if shes got you back into reading.

My only disclaimer is I believe her books should be for a mature audience only as her portrayal of toxic relationships as romantic or something to aim for is concerning and I dont like the thought of 15 / 16 / 17 year olds romanticising that bullshit.
This is what bugs me about Booktok ect, I get people passionate and opinionated about books but when they started bulling / belittling people for reading it crosses a line. There was massive thing about Rebecca Yarros & Iron Flame when it came about as well and now they're boycotting publishing houses too, like I just want to read it's not that deep lol

Reactions: 13
This is what bugs me about Booktok ect, I get people passionate and opinionated about books but when they started bulling / belittling people for reading it crosses a line. There was massive thing about Rebecca Yarros & Iron Flame when it came about as well and now they're boycotting publishing houses too, like I just want to read it's not that deep lol
Probably same people who would watch crap on TV and not be bothered 🙄 as long as something brings enjoyment, it's fine in my book. Not everything has to be an educational experience

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.