Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On books and ordering. My Illumicrate subscription comes out of my bank on the 1st of the Month. So February will be Thursday and I havent yet received January yet.

I get it probably cant be helped but its frustrating that Ill be 2 x cost down and no books yet.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Is it sad that I’m excited about going to the library to pick up my book I ordered. Feels all nostalgic for when I was a kid and spent so much time in the library.
I’ve ordered The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewell which I think was maybe recommended on here. Nice little break from fantasy.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
On books and ordering. My Illumicrate subscription comes out of my bank on the 1st of the Month. So February will be Thursday and I havent yet received January yet.

I get it probably cant be helped but its frustrating that Ill be 2 x cost down and no books yet.
Oh that's very late! Have they given any reason for the delay in January's box?

Reactions: 2
Oh that's very late! Have they given any reason for the delay in January's box?
Just standard. I received the address checking email on the 22nd. Shipping to begin 10 days after which is 1st February so it wont be shipped until my next payment has come out.

They seem to be getting through the wait list at a rate but they should probably be looking at existing customers first because it seems a bit long I think. Its £20 per book and then £4 postage 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Just standard. I received the address checking email on the 22nd. Shipping to begin 10 days after which is 1st February so it wont be shipped until my next payment has come out.

They seem to be getting through the wait list at a rate but they should probably be looking at existing customers first because it seems a bit long I think. Its £20 per book and then £4 postage 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, I'm surprised at that - I get the fantasy version, and they did the checks on the 15th, and then I usually get my box on the last weekend of the month (though it is currently sitting at the post office)
---

Oooooooh
I love Hamnet! I saw the stage version a little while ago and enjoyed it, excited for this, I love Jessie Buckley (and have full confidence in Thread Book Boyfriend, though I haven't actually seen him in anything...)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yeah, I'm surprised at that - I get the fantasy version, and they did the checks on the 15th, and then I usually get my box on the last weekend of the month (though it is currently sitting at the post office)
Afterlight was bi monthly and this is the first month theyve gone to monthly but maybe thats been a mistake.

Im not unhappy to wait but just seems wild Ill have paid for February before Januarys is even dispatched.

Yeah it seems a bit weird to me if you're only getting one month's box after the following month's payment has been taken! I hope the boxes are great when they do arrive!
---

Oooooooh
I guess I need to read Hamnet this year! I really like Jessie and obvs like everyone I am a fan of Paul 😅

• Heart
  • Heart
Is it sad that I’m excited about going to the library to pick up my book I ordered. Feels all nostalgic for when I was a kid and spent so much time in the library.
I’ve ordered The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewell which I think was maybe recommended on here. Nice little break from fantasy.
I've just picked up seven ordered books from the library plus an ominous form about budget cuts to read and complete 😬
Went to Home Bargains after and picked up a book I wanted to tell people about, but didn't know where to post it.
It's called "To the Best Auntie in the World. Our Journal of Your Life" and you literally fill it in with your life story and pictures. It has all the questions children ask you and things like "bucket list", "life's too short" and "goals".
So I think it's really a book for anyone to unroll their mind, set goals, tell their story or whatever they want to do with it and it only cost 99p - cheaper than a hardback note book.
Will photograph if you are interested. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Here are all the books I read in January.
1706630525439.png
1706630544203.png
1706630571189.png
1706630638268.png
1706630663181.png
1706630673520.png
1706630688133.png

I can't really say which book was my favourite as none of them grabbed my interest and at times I felt some of them were very predictable as I could see what was going to happen from the midway point especially in both The Family Holiday and The Santa Killer.
Worst read was Tennis Shoes as I found it incredibly boring, nothing seemed to happen as it felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again and I didn't find any of the characters interesting.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Yeah it seems a bit weird to me if you're only getting one month's box after the following month's payment has been taken! I hope the boxes are great when they do arrive!
---

I guess I need to read Hamnet this year! I really like Jessie and obvs like everyone I am a fan of Paul 😅
Theyre just single book now that theyre monthly. So I honestly have no idea why its taking so long. When they were bi monthly you got extras.

Reactions: 1
Here are all the books I read in January.
View attachment 2724553View attachment 2724554View attachment 2724556View attachment 2724559View attachment 2724560View attachment 2724561View attachment 2724562
I can't really say which book was my favourite as none of them grabbed my interest and at times I felt some of them were very predictable as I could see what was going to happen from the midway point especially in both The Family Holiday and The Santa Killer.
Worst read was Tennis Shoes as I found it incredibly boring, nothing seemed to happen as it felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again and I didn't find any of the characters interesting.
Oh wow Tennis Shoes. I used to love that book, all her books, when I was a kid. My favourite was White Boots I used to dream of being a skater. Dunno why, even now I'm a full grown adult I can't even skate! Not thought about that for years now I'm going to have to read it again!

• Heart

Some of the subscription boxes can be poor at shipping on time but noticed Illumicrate seem to be slowest!
i suppose i need to reread hammet!

i love maggie o’farrell but it weirdly was my least favourite of her books. i don’t know why i just didn’t vibe with it - i know the play is meant to be amazing.
I was quite underwhelmed by Hamnet, I didn’t even go into it with very high expectations as I was reading it for a book club and didn’t know much about it before I started it. I think I keep ignoring Marriage Portrait on my TBR because of Hamnet!

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Some of the subscription boxes can be poor at shipping on time but noticed Illumicrate seem to be slowest!

I was quite underwhelmed by Hamnet, I didn’t even go into it with very high expectations as I was reading it for a book club and didn’t know much about it before I started it. I think I keep ignoring Marriage Portrait on my TBR because of Hamnet!
I only subscribed in August so only actually had September and November but its never been as bad as this but I dont have anything to compare it to.

I guess it probably is a small team and just a case of waiting. Hopefully it might pick up.

• Sad
If any of you like a WW2 read The German Mother by Debbie Rix is a great read. So often books set in this era are poorly researched (Heather Morris's books spring to mind) but this one is perfect, very well researched and such a good story. It's quite long 500+ pages, but I've struggled to put it down and nearly finished even though I've had no chance to read yet today and only started it yesterday morning!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
the marriage portrait was one of my favourite reads of 2023 so i can vouch for that one! i was just underwhelmed by hamnet too and i don’t know why - i love her writing usually (and i love shakespeare!) but something in it just didn’t vibe with me. i might need to give it another go.

• Sad

Oooooooh
Was wondering if Hamnet was worth reading: guess it's my sign to read it asap 😅

25% into The Mill on the Floss: it is amazing so far, long but not boring at all. I love Maggie and her relationship with her brother (can relate to that). But I've a feeling that there is a lot of foreshadowing and it makes me a bit teary, I hope I'm wrong 😬

• Heart
Was wondering if Hamnet was worth reading: guess it's my sign to read it asap 😅

25% into The Mill on the Floss: it is amazing so far, long but not boring at all. I love Maggie and her relationship with her brother (can relate to that). But I've a feeling that there is a lot of foreshadowing and it makes me a bit teary, I hope I'm wrong 😬
you know my feelings on that book….. and your feeling is not incorrect 🥲

• Wow
you know my feelings on that book….. and your feeling is not incorrect 🥲
Nooooo 😭
At first, I thought 'what a weird quote to open the book with' and then the narrator/the mother start talking
about Maggie drowning
Guess my heart will be broken soon...
But I understand why you love it! If it keeps being this good, it could be an all time fav. Thanks for recommending it ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.